Used Civic or new Fit?

Old April 13th 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Used Civic or new Fit?

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 13:29:33 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> wrote:

>In article >,
> nblomgren > wrote:
>
>> My 2002 Saturn was a casualty in the Tennessee tornadoes last Friday.
>>
>> I'm looking for something reliable, inexpensive, and fuel-efficient,
>> with manual transmission, under $15,000.
>>
>> Saturn seems to have given up on fuel-efficiency and most of the other
>> things that once made it a sensible choice.
>>
>> So now I'm ready for a Honda. I had planned on getting a used Civic,
>> but the local dealership will be getting the new Fit in soon.

>Honda Fit gets top ranking from Car and Driver magazine with regard to
>being the driver's car of the bunch.
>
>Nissan Versa gets the nod for the best all-around package.
>
>I also love the Scion xB. With the xB, you get a very mature
>marketplace for accessories.

The Scions are pretty intriguing. I'm more drawn to the xA, though.
The local Scion dealer seems to have only the xB and tC

--Nan
Old April 13th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

wrote:

>> My 2002 Saturn was a casualty in the Tennessee tornadoes last Friday.
>>
>> I'm looking for something reliable, inexpensive, and fuel-efficient,
>> with manual transmission, under $15,000.
>>
>> Saturn seems to have given up on fuel-efficiency and most of the other
>> things that once made it a sensible choice.
>>
>> So now I'm ready for a Honda. I had planned on getting a used Civic,
>> but the local dealership will be getting the new Fit in soon.
>>
>> I haven't bought new in decades because of the initial depreciation.
>> But it would be nice to have something under warranty. And since the
>> Fit's been out for a while already, there's no beta testing to do
>>
>> But the Civic has a good track record for holding its value, and has a
>> more conventional appearance.
>>
>> Whatever I buy, I'm planning to keep it for many years.
>>
>> Since I'm new to Honda, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --Nan

>If you can afford the Civic--get the Civic since it should have more power
>than the Fit.If you can't afford the Civic--get The Fit Sport. You may
>want to test drive both of them before you make a decision. Also, compare
>the HP and torque and top speed of both engines before you make a
>decision.
>Also, consider the options that you want in your new car. I recall that I
>once purchased a new car that did not have a tach. or temp. gauge. I later
>regretted not getting the higher priced model that had a tach. and temp.
>gauge. The higher priced car also had a more powerful engine. I have not
>made that mistake again.
>Jason

The test drive may make the decision for me.

That and the settlement from the insurance company

Power does factor in -- I wouldn't want to go any lower than my old
Saturn SL2. Most of my driving is low/medium traffic commuting, but a
couple of times a year will take some long trips (900 miles or so).

--Nan
Old April 13th 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 19:15:32 GMT, "Elle"
> wrote:

>"Jason" > wrote
>> wrote:

>> If you can afford the Civic--get the Civic since it should
>> have more power
>> than the Fit.If you can't afford the Civic--get The Fit
>> Sport. You may
>> want to test drive both of them before you make a
>> decision. Also, compare
>> the HP and torque and top speed of both engines before you
>> make a
>> decision.

>I agree with Jason the above are important considerations.
>But before reading his post, I was thinking of asking you
>nblom how important fuel efficiency is. The Fit is
>reportedly getting around 50 mpg. It's probably around 20%
>more fuel efficient than the Civic. But this of course is at
>the sacrifice of power--acceleration, like Jason says.
>
>So you sort of have to consider what your priorities are. I
>have a 1.5 Liter 91 Civic getting 40 mpg but I salivate at
>the thought of having a 1.3 or 1.4 Liter Fit inside of 10
>years, getting 50 mpg. I don't need g's. :-)

I'm thinking ahead on fuel efficiency. In the next five years it seems
likely that gas is going to get _much_ more expensive, with some
unpleasant spikes now and then.

I've always been careful about mpg -- never had a car that got less
than 35 hwy. Some of them had some kick to them, too

There's talk of a hybrid Fit next year...

If my old car had survived, I'd have waited for that -- and it would
have been an _easy_ decision

--Nan

Old April 13th 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 21:59:52 -0700, SoCalMike
> wrote:

>nblomgren wrote:
>> My 2002 Saturn was a casualty in the Tennessee tornadoes last Friday.
>>
>> I'm looking for something reliable, inexpensive, and fuel-efficient,
>> with manual transmission, under $15,000.

>scion xA or xB. bulletproof engine, little to no maintenance reqired,
>since it has self adjusting valves, and a timing chain instead of belt.
>no more $600 timing belt replacements every 90-110k miles!

The xA is a nice looking car. Reminds me a little of the Mini Cooper.
It's running a close second if I do decide to buy new.

>> Saturn seems to have given up on fuel-efficiency and most of the other
>> things that once made it a sensible choice.
>>
>> So now I'm ready for a Honda. I had planned on getting a used Civic,
>> but the local dealership will be getting the new Fit in soon.
>>
>> I haven't bought new in decades because of the initial depreciation.
>> But it would be nice to have something under warranty. And since the
>> Fit's been out for a while already, there's no beta testing to do
>>
>> But the Civic has a good track record for holding its value, and has a
>> more conventional appearance.

>i dunno if the fit is any more "normal" looking than any other short,
>high-roofed 4 door hatch.
>
>sadly, they offered a 4-door "wagovan" from 88-91(ish?) that was a high
>roofed 4 door, and it didnt sell. too ahead of their time?
>>
>> Whatever I buy, I'm planning to keep it for many years.
>>
>> Since I'm new to Honda, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

>im considering a fit as well. also going to look at the toyota yaris
>hatch, the scions, and possibly the nissan versa when it comes out.
>
>only thing is, i can guarantee the fit will sell for MSRP+, especially
>with gas prices going back up. and it also won a 7-way car and driver test.
>
>havent looked at the engine specs, but if it still uses a belt and needs
>valve adjustments, i may pass.
>
>ive never had a car with power windows/locks and/or keyless entry, and i
>think thatd be neat. and a factory sunroof would be nice too. yes- a
>"loaded" economy car. theyre popular in europe.

Gas prices are already going up here. We might be seeing a lot more of
these tiny cars soon.

My other option is to get something _very_ cheap that'll last about a
year until the Fit hybrid comes out

--Nan
Old April 13th 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"nblomgren" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 13:29:33 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> > wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> nblomgren > wrote:
>>
>>> My 2002 Saturn was a casualty in the Tennessee tornadoes last Friday.
>>>
>>> I'm looking for something reliable, inexpensive, and fuel-efficient,
>>> with manual transmission, under $15,000.
>>>
>>> Saturn seems to have given up on fuel-efficiency and most of the other
>>> things that once made it a sensible choice.
>>>
>>> So now I'm ready for a Honda. I had planned on getting a used Civic,
>>> but the local dealership will be getting the new Fit in soon.

>>Honda Fit gets top ranking from Car and Driver magazine with regard to
>>being the driver's car of the bunch.
>>
>>Nissan Versa gets the nod for the best all-around package.
>>
>>I also love the Scion xB. With the xB, you get a very mature
>>marketplace for accessories.

> The Scions are pretty intriguing. I'm more drawn to the xA, though.
> The local Scion dealer seems to have only the xB and tC
>
> --Nan

And 2 of the 3 are ugly beyond words, IMNHO.

--
Kent Finnell
From the Music City USA

Old April 13th 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"nblomgren" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 21:59:52 -0700, SoCalMike
> > wrote:
>
>>nblomgren wrote:
>>> My 2002 Saturn was a casualty in the Tennessee tornadoes last Friday.
>>>
>>> I'm looking for something reliable, inexpensive, and fuel-efficient,
>>> with manual transmission, under $15,000.

>>scion xA or xB. bulletproof engine, little to no maintenance reqired,
>>since it has self adjusting valves, and a timing chain instead of belt.
>>no more $600 timing belt replacements every 90-110k miles!

> The xA is a nice looking car. Reminds me a little of the Mini Cooper.
> It's running a close second if I do decide to buy new.
>

>>> Saturn seems to have given up on fuel-efficiency and most of the other
>>> things that once made it a sensible choice.
>>>
>>> So now I'm ready for a Honda. I had planned on getting a used Civic,
>>> but the local dealership will be getting the new Fit in soon.
>>>
>>> I haven't bought new in decades because of the initial depreciation.
>>> But it would be nice to have something under warranty. And since the
>>> Fit's been out for a while already, there's no beta testing to do
>>>
>>> But the Civic has a good track record for holding its value, and has a
>>> more conventional appearance.

>>i dunno if the fit is any more "normal" looking than any other short,
>>high-roofed 4 door hatch.
>>
>>sadly, they offered a 4-door "wagovan" from 88-91(ish?) that was a high
>>roofed 4 door, and it didnt sell. too ahead of their time?
>>>
>>> Whatever I buy, I'm planning to keep it for many years.
>>>
>>> Since I'm new to Honda, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

>>im considering a fit as well. also going to look at the toyota yaris
>>hatch, the scions, and possibly the nissan versa when it comes out.
>>
>>only thing is, i can guarantee the fit will sell for MSRP+, especially
>>with gas prices going back up. and it also won a 7-way car and driver
>>test.
>>
>>havent looked at the engine specs, but if it still uses a belt and needs
>>valve adjustments, i may pass.
>>
>>ive never had a car with power windows/locks and/or keyless entry, and i
>>think thatd be neat. and a factory sunroof would be nice too. yes- a
>>"loaded" economy car. theyre popular in europe.

> Gas prices are already going up here. We might be seeing a lot more of
> these tiny cars soon.
>
> My other option is to get something _very_ cheap that'll last about a
> year until the Fit hybrid comes out
>
> --Nan

The Fit Hybrid is at least 2 years away, if then. The "2007" Fit is coming
out of sequence for Honda's model cycle. The next major change is 2 years
away, instead of 5.

--
Kent Finnell
From the Music City USA

Old April 13th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

In article >,
wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 13:29:33 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > nblomgren > wrote:
> >
> >> My 2002 Saturn was a casualty in the Tennessee tornadoes last Friday.
> >>
> >> I'm looking for something reliable, inexpensive, and fuel-efficient,
> >> with manual transmission, under $15,000.
> >>
> >> Saturn seems to have given up on fuel-efficiency and most of the other
> >> things that once made it a sensible choice.
> >>
> >> So now I'm ready for a Honda. I had planned on getting a used Civic,
> >> but the local dealership will be getting the new Fit in soon.

> >Honda Fit gets top ranking from Car and Driver magazine with regard to
> >being the driver's car of the bunch.
> >
> >Nissan Versa gets the nod for the best all-around package.
> >
> >I also love the Scion xB. With the xB, you get a very mature
> >marketplace for accessories.

> The Scions are pretty intriguing. I'm more drawn to the xA, though.
> The local Scion dealer seems to have only the xB and tC
>
> --Nan

--Nan,
The Civic or Fit would be a better choice than any car made by GM or Ford.
The reason is related to quality. Any of the smaller vehicles made by
Toyota would also be a great choice.
Jasaon

--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
We do NOT respect the subscribers that enjoy criticizing people.

Old April 13th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

In article >, SoCalMike
> wrote:

> nblomgren wrote:
> > My 2002 Saturn was a casualty in the Tennessee tornadoes last Friday.
> >
> > I'm looking for something reliable, inexpensive, and fuel-efficient,
> > with manual transmission, under $15,000.

> scion xA or xB. bulletproof engine, little to no maintenance reqired,
> since it has self adjusting valves, and a timing chain instead of belt.
> no more $600 timing belt replacements every 90-110k miles!
> >
> > Saturn seems to have given up on fuel-efficiency and most of the other
> > things that once made it a sensible choice.
> >
> > So now I'm ready for a Honda. I had planned on getting a used Civic,
> > but the local dealership will be getting the new Fit in soon.
> >
> > I haven't bought new in decades because of the initial depreciation.
> > But it would be nice to have something under warranty. And since the
> > Fit's been out for a while already, there's no beta testing to do
> >
> > But the Civic has a good track record for holding its value, and has a
> > more conventional appearance.

> i dunno if the fit is any more "normal" looking than any other short,
> high-roofed 4 door hatch.
>
> sadly, they offered a 4-door "wagovan" from 88-91(ish?) that was a high
> roofed 4 door, and it didnt sell. too ahead of their time?
> >
> > Whatever I buy, I'm planning to keep it for many years.
> >
> > Since I'm new to Honda, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

> im considering a fit as well. also going to look at the toyota yaris
> hatch, the scions, and possibly the nissan versa when it comes out.
>
> only thing is, i can guarantee the fit will sell for MSRP+, especially
> with gas prices going back up. and it also won a 7-way car and driver test.
>
> havent looked at the engine specs, but if it still uses a belt and needs
> valve adjustments, i may pass.
>
> ive never had a car with power windows/locks and/or keyless entry, and i
> think thatd be neat. and a factory sunroof would be nice too. yes- a
> "loaded" economy car. theyre popular in europe.

Hello,
You should get the May 2006 issue of Car and Driver.
According to page 65 of that magazine, the Honda Fit
produces 109 Bhp @ 5800
The torque is 105 @ 4800
It has a SOHC engine

The Toyota Yaris S
produces 106 Bhp @6000
The torque is 103@ 4200

Both engines in the above cars are about the same size.
However the Fit has a SOHC engine and the Yaris has a DOHC engine.
DOHC engines are in most cases better than SOHC engines.
Both engines are 91 cu. inches (1497 and 1496 cc).
Jason

Old April 13th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

In article >, "Kent Finnell"
> wrote:

> "nblomgren" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 21:59:52 -0700, SoCalMike
> > > wrote:

> >>scion xA or xB. bulletproof engine, little to no maintenance reqired,
> >>since it has self adjusting valves, and a timing chain instead of belt.
> >>no more $600 timing belt replacements every 90-110k miles!

> > The xA is a nice looking car. Reminds me a little of the Mini Cooper.
> > It's running a close second if I do decide to buy new.

> >>i dunno if the fit is any more "normal" looking than any other short,
> >>high-roofed 4 door hatch.
> >>
> >>sadly, they offered a 4-door "wagovan" from 88-91(ish?) that was a high
> >>roofed 4 door, and it didnt sell. too ahead of their time?

> >>im considering a fit as well. also going to look at the toyota yaris
> >>hatch, the scions, and possibly the nissan versa when it comes out.
> >>
> >>only thing is, i can guarantee the fit will sell for MSRP+, especially
> >>with gas prices going back up. and it also won a 7-way car and driver
> >>test.
> >>
> >>havent looked at the engine specs, but if it still uses a belt and needs
> >>valve adjustments, i may pass.
> >>
> >>ive never had a car with power windows/locks and/or keyless entry, and i
> >>think thatd be neat. and a factory sunroof would be nice too. yes- a
> >>"loaded" economy car. theyre popular in europe.

> > Gas prices are already going up here. We might be seeing a lot more of
> > these tiny cars soon.
> >
> > My other option is to get something _very_ cheap that'll last about a
> > year until the Fit hybrid comes out
> >
> > --Nan

> The Fit Hybrid is at least 2 years away, if then. The "2007" Fit is coming
> out of sequence for Honda's model cycle. The next major change is 2 years
> away, instead of 5.

Does Honda still make the really small Hybrid called the Insight? That
would be a good option for anyone that wants a small hybrid car. I would
prefer the hybrid Civic since it has more room and more power. I once had
a friend that owned an Insight. She said that it did not have enough power
and when she went up a grade--she would push the pedal to the metal and
the car would only go about 50 mph (on grades).
Jason