'83 Vanagon - Any Tips ?

Old March 24th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default '83 Vanagon - Any Tips ?

Just bought an '83 Vanagon - Gas, watercooled, 4-speed, 220 K miles, $1,200.
Needs a waterpump ($80 plus 2-1/2 hrs) but aside from that, it appears to
need only the normal nickel-and-dime items that one would expect on any 20+
year old vehicle.

I'm experienced with Golfs, Jettas, old Dashers and Rabbits, and various
Audis but I'm TOTALLY new to Vanagons - Heck, I didn't even know they made
watercooled gas ones, I thought they were aircooled. Is there anything I
should pay PARTICULARLY close attention to on these ?

Thanks for any advice.

- FM -

Old March 24th 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Only tip I got is sell it while it runs!

Old March 25th 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Get a factory shop manual. Read and follow the directions for refilling
the coolant system.
This was VW's first attempt at a water boxer and it shows.
Brought Vanagan new in 1984 and had to replace water pump, head gaskets
and computer before 20K miles.
After that, things settled down to a routine of replacing exhaust
support struts every once in a while,
crying over paying $8.00 for dash lamps, and enjoying the feeling that I
would never get a speeding ticket.

Old March 25th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 07:15:24 -0800, "Fred Mau"
> wrote:

>Just bought an '83 Vanagon - Gas, watercooled, 4-speed, 220 K miles, $1,200.
>Needs a waterpump ($80 plus 2-1/2 hrs) but aside from that, it appears to
>need only the normal nickel-and-dime items that one would expect on any 20+
>year old vehicle.
>
>I'm experienced with Golfs, Jettas, old Dashers and Rabbits, and various
>Audis but I'm TOTALLY new to Vanagons - Heck, I didn't even know they made
>watercooled gas ones, I thought they were aircooled. Is there anything I
>should pay PARTICULARLY close attention to on these ?
>
>Thanks for any advice.
>
> - FM -

Get a Check list from www.vanagon.com and go through your van..

Buy a Bentley Manual too..

Find a Parts shop close to your house!
Old March 25th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

I don't yet have the Bentley manual - got one on order - but I found
detailed instructions on the web for refilling the coolant. Found a local
parts house that had the water pump in stock - Halsey Imports in Portland
OR - I'm changing it today.

I've seen a lot said about the head gasket failures on these. I'm crossing
my fingers that with 20+ years and 200+ K miles on this, it's already been
addressed. A preliminary compression check looked okay but I haven't yet
done a more accurate leakdown test or cooling system pressure test.

- FM -

Old March 26th 06, 09:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Yea, when you need an exhaust . Its 2000 bucks dealer. Get a parts place for
all VWs catalog . they have a couple of different setups you can get that
are way cheaper. From $700 and up I believe. You never said if it was
rotted or not. I hope not. At least Its not a diesel. Pay attention to
getting on the freeway fast enough, so you don't get rear ended. And don't
let the hatch fall on you head when your loading something. it hurts bad.
And pay attention to the guy posted before me said sell it while it runs
too.