Fuel gauge problem solved (not gauge)

Old September 13th 05, 02:54 PM
Karls Vladimir Peña

Default Fuel gauge problem solved (not gauge)

Hi RAMVA!

A few days ago I posted about running out of gas while the gauge showed
about half a tank. Well, It was not the gauge that was wrong, not the
vibrator either. Aparently I had large pieces of debris in the tank that
sometimes clogged the outlet and made the bug run out of fuel.

Last weekend, on a 200kms round trip to a beach to the east I ran out of gas
about 40kms after filling up. There's no way the bug could have burned that
amount of fuel that fast. checked the fuel filter, and it was totally black,
filled up with stuff. Then unplugged the hose coming from the tank to the
tunnel and blew a bit into the tank. That cleared the clog enough to get
there (had to repeat that 3 times on the way back). Yesterday I took the
tank off and got all the fuel out. Filtered the whole 6 gallons with a towel
and here's what I found: about 10cc's of water (looked like an amoeba on the
bottom of the container), 2-3 cc's of sand like particles, a 1cm sheetscrew,
some kind of sillicone rubber piece 5cms x 2 cms, 10cms of haywire and 1
small stone. Now, how did all that get there??? Sould I keep hating PO's?

Karls

Old September 13th 05, 05:09 PM
TerryB

Karls Vladimir Pe=F1a wrote:
> Hi RAMVA!
>
> A few days ago I posted about running out of gas while the gauge showed
> about half a tank. Well, It was not the gauge that was wrong, not the
> vibrator either. Aparently I had large pieces of debris in the tank that
> sometimes clogged the outlet and made the bug run out of fuel.
>
> Last weekend, on a 200kms round trip to a beach to the east I ran out of =

gas
> about 40kms after filling up. There's no way the bug could have burned th=

at
> amount of fuel that fast. checked the fuel filter, and it was totally bla=

ck,
> filled up with stuff. Then unplugged the hose coming from the tank to the
> tunnel and blew a bit into the tank. That cleared the clog enough to get
> there (had to repeat that 3 times on the way back). Yesterday I took the
> tank off and got all the fuel out. Filtered the whole 6 gallons with a to=

wel
> and here's what I found: about 10cc's of water (looked like an amoeba on =

the
> bottom of the container), 2-3 cc's of sand like particles, a 1cm sheetscr=

ew,
> some kind of sillicone rubber piece 5cms x 2 cms, 10cms of haywire and 1
> small stone. Now, how did all that get there??? Sould I keep hating PO's?
>
> Karls

Hey, that where that sheet metal screw went that I dropped trying to
screw that haywire to the stone!!! LOL

I thought everyone knew to put some silicone in the gas tank to capture
sand and stones that get pumped into the tank when you use those really
cheap gas stations. <G> Just Kidding

Glad you found the problem!!

Old September 13th 05, 06:10 PM
PHILLIP COYLE

Watch out for kids they will put anything into anything just for fun. It
also goes for anyone that you tick off. Get a locking gas cap and many
problems will be stopped.

"TerryB" > wrote in message
ups.com...

Old September 13th 05, 08:24 PM
bug '59

"Karls Vladimir Peña" > schreef in bericht
> Hi RAMVA!
>
> A few days ago I posted about running out of gas while the gauge showed
> about half a tank. Well, It was not the gauge that was wrong, not the
> vibrator either. Aparently I had large pieces of debris in the tank that
> sometimes clogged the outlet and made the bug run out of fuel.
>
> Last weekend, on a 200kms round trip to a beach to the east I ran out of
> gas about 40kms after filling up. There's no way the bug could have burned
> that amount of fuel that fast. checked the fuel filter, and it was totally
> black, filled up with stuff. Then unplugged the hose coming from the tank
> to the tunnel and blew a bit into the tank. That cleared the clog enough
> to get there (had to repeat that 3 times on the way back). Yesterday I
> took the tank off and got all the fuel out. Filtered the whole 6 gallons
> with a towel and here's what I found: about 10cc's of water (looked like
> an amoeba on the bottom of the container), 2-3 cc's of sand like
> particles, a 1cm sheetscrew, some kind of sillicone rubber piece 5cms x 2
> cms, 10cms of haywire and 1 small stone. Now, how did all that get
> there??? Sould I keep hating PO's?
>
> Karls

My PO left me a nice legacy: When i restored my bug i found 2(!) rachet
extensions size 1/4 in my fueltank. My guess is he/she used them as a
dipstick since there is no fuel gauge in it. Didn't clog the fuel filter of
course but sure was a strange and hard to find sound when making turns :-)

Roger

Old September 14th 05, 02:47 AM
Wild Bill Tucker

Golly Karls !! At first I thought you were going to say " And a
partridge in a pear tree! " Sounds like some one was trying to sabotage
your ride!

Be Cool.....AIRCOOLED !!

"Wild" Bill Tucker

President