72 Beetle / Fuel Vacuum Hoses / Fuel Gauge Voltage Stabilizer

Old July 15th 09, 08:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Eric[_19_]

Default 72 Beetle / Fuel Vacuum Hoses / Fuel Gauge Voltage Stabilizer

Hello List!

Ive got a 1972 VW Beetle

A few questions that John Muirs Book has shed little light on for me.

When I open the gas cap should it be sucking air? Ive got a vacuum in
there. Its been doing this since I replaced all the gas vapor
recycling hoses. They were all original and cracked. I used vacuum
hose until I am advised on something else.
An annotated image of the front boot - fuel hoses.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21311899@N03/3704382607/

The gauge indicated 1/4 tank when I ran out of gas. Instead of bending
the pivot point / guage needle I opened up the voltage stabilizer and
spread the windings apart. This resulted in the needle going way past
full and I have only used a gallon so far. By the time I get to empty
the gauge may reflect more accurately? Where do I find a replacement
voltage stabilizer?

There is a toggle switch on the duct work coming off of the shroud.
What is this?
An annotated photo of the engine compartment -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21311899@N03/3723806343

Aloha
Eric
Old July 15th 09, 09:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim[_2_]

Eric wrote:
> Hello List!
>
> Ive got a 1972 VW Beetle
>
> A few questions that John Muirs Book has shed little light on for me.
>
> When I open the gas cap should it be sucking air? Ive got a vacuum in
> there. Its been doing this since I replaced all the gas vapor
> recycling hoses. They were all original and cracked. I used vacuum
> hose until I am advised on something else.
> An annotated image of the front boot - fuel hoses.
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/21311899@N03/3704382607/
>
> The gauge indicated 1/4 tank when I ran out of gas. Instead of bending
> the pivot point / guage needle I opened up the voltage stabilizer and
> spread the windings apart. This resulted in the needle going way past
> full and I have only used a gallon so far. By the time I get to empty
> the gauge may reflect more accurately? Where do I find a replacement
> voltage stabilizer?
>
> There is a toggle switch on the duct work coming off of the shroud.
> What is this?
> An annotated photo of the engine compartment -
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/21311899@N03/3723806343
>
> Aloha
> Eric

Congrats on your find.

No telling what the toggle does/did; it's non-stock.
Follow the wires and report back.

Your fuel system has been "hacked".
Go:
http://www.oldbeetle.com/pcat/epc.html
Click on #25-10 and #25-20

Canister #1 is under the right rear fender/wing.
Pipe #8 runs to the front of the car where it connects to
the piping under the bonnet.

Hose #15 supplies air to the canister to force vapors out
to the air cleaner and ALSO to prevent vacuum in the tank.

If vacuum forms, the tank could collapse and/or the engine
will starve for fuel at highway speeds.

If all the bits are missing, the best you can do is
leave a small vacuum hose from the tank open to
atmosphere (outside the car) to vent the tank.

The stabiliser/vibrator is available from most any
parts house:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails....WC-113-957-099

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/