Trackdays

Old May 1st 07, 09:49 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH

Default Trackdays

OK, I'm doing my first proper trackday in a couple of weeks.
(Mon. 21st May at Colerne)

I've read up on them, and appear to be more or less prepared for what
I'm getting into, but I'd appreciate tips from someone with a bit of
experience.

The thing that really puzzles me is what people do with all the crap in
their cars? - obviously, given the weather, it would be a good idea to
take lots of ice-cold water and stuff to eat, plus I reckon a socket set
would be a good plan.

Do you just leave it in the paddock and trust other participants aren't
likely to nick it?

Alfa 156 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI SE - COSOC KOTL
BOTAFOT #87 - BOTAFOF #18 - MRO # - UKRMSBC #7 - Apostle #2 - YTC #
Old May 1st 07, 10:42 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH

Zathras > wrote:

> >OK, I'm doing my first proper trackday in a couple of weeks.
> >(Mon. 21st May at Colerne)
> >
> >I've read up on them, and appear to be more or less prepared for what
> >I'm getting into, but I'd appreciate tips from someone with a bit of
> >experience.

> Only 'experience' I have is when a guy took a *very* quick twin turbo
> Rover V8 (with track tuned running gear) on a track day and all the
> oil went up one bank of the V due to the small track and predominantly
> right hand corners (Knockhill). By the time he realised that dry
> sumping might be a good idea it was time to call the RAC to get home.
> They had, eventually, to send a low loader due to the V8's ride height
> and the guy had a heck of a time explaining that it was a road car and
> not a racing car (which the RAC wouldn't have rescued).
>
> I hope none of *my* experience has any relevance to you!! ;-) Tracks
> are not roads in terms of stresses applied.

Yup, this I know, which is why it's just had a full service (plugs,
leads, dizzy caps, brake fluid, coolant, new tyres and exhaust).

I suppose I should take 5lt of oil with me and check it between
sessions, too.

I won't be redlining it everywhere - mainly because I have some kind of
mechanical sympathy for older cars but also because the old 8 valve
TSparks have enough mid-range to be fun without taking it to the
redline.
Old May 2nd 07, 04:58 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Ben Magista

"SteveH" > wrote in message
k...
> OK, I'm doing my first proper trackday in a couple of weeks.
> (Mon. 21st May at Colerne)
>
> I've read up on them, and appear to be more or less prepared for what
> I'm getting into, but I'd appreciate tips from someone with a bit of
> experience.
>
> The thing that really puzzles me is what people do with all the crap in
> their cars? - obviously, given the weather, it would be a good idea to
> take lots of ice-cold water and stuff to eat, plus I reckon a socket set
> would be a good plan.
>
> Do you just leave it in the paddock and trust other participants aren't
> likely to nick it?

I belong to the NW Alfa Romeo Club in the US and have taken my Milano to
several track events in the greater Seattle area. I've found that one of
those RubberMaid storage tub works best for me at the track, I can keep my
tools, extra clothing, food and water in it and not have to worry about the
weather. A few other tips I can give you is to drink plenty of water during
the day to stay hydrated, do NOT set your parking brake after coming off the
track or your brakes will lock up, check your fluids between runs and
remember that slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

Old May 2nd 07, 06:14 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Pete[_1_]

On Tue, 1 May 2007 20:58:29 -0700, "Ben Magista"
>, wrote:

>RubberMaid

Can we buy that type of product in the UK?

Sort of "have condom - can carry" concept :-)

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso
Old May 3rd 07, 03:13 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Ben Magista

"Pete" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 1 May 2007 20:58:29 -0700, "Ben Magista"
> >, wrote:
>
>>RubberMaid

> Can we buy that type of product in the UK?
>
> Sort of "have condom - can carry" concept :-)
>

> Pete

I bought mine at Home Depot in Seattle, the 18gal size fits everything I
need and it cost $4US. You'll have to do some research to see if they're
available in the UK.

Old May 7th 07, 12:22 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Pete[_1_]

On Wed, 2 May 2007 19:13:58 -0700, "Ben Magista"
>, wrote:

>I bought mine at Home Depot in Seattle, the 18gal size fits everything I
>need and it cost $4US. You'll have to do some research to see if they're
>available in the UK.

If you Google UK for RubberMaid you get a very different product
range
http://www.skintwoclothing.com/x-cat...?cPath=304_305

Interesting at track days, picnics and family BBQ :-)

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso
Old May 7th 07, 04:28 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Ben Magista

"Pete" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 2 May 2007 19:13:58 -0700, "Ben Magista"
> >, wrote:
>

>>I bought mine at Home Depot in Seattle, the 18gal size fits everything I
>>need and it cost $4US. You'll have to do some research to see if they're
>>available in the UK.
>>

> If you Google UK for RubberMaid you get a very different product
> range
> http://www.skintwoclothing.com/x-cat...?cPath=304_305
>
> Interesting at track days, picnics and family BBQ :-)
>

> Pete

ROTFLMAO! Are they fireproof and SNELL approved?