1998 Mustang GT Factory Alarm Randomness - Help me disable it.

Old March 2nd 06, 12:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default 1998 Mustang GT Factory Alarm Randomness - Help me disable it.

Hi all,

I have a 1998 Mustang GT that the factory alarm triggers randomly and
for no apparent reason. Just this morning it went off AGAIN and we had
a neighbor in our front yard already complaining about it- this time.
So I desperately need help and suggestions in what to do to turn this
thing off or disable it. I had been leaving my car unlocked but that's
not a great solution.

I'd like to be able to turn off the factory alarm but maintain the
keyless remote, but that's a side note right now.

Can someone explain to me how I can turn off or disable the factory
alarm?

Sincerely,
Chuck

Old March 2nd 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Chuck,

Not sure if it has ever happened, but my 93LX had a problem years back that
the dome light would turn on/off by itself. I don't know the alarm system
on your 88GT, but if it's tied into the dome light circuit this may be a
cause.

The fix was tor replace the drivers side door switch for the dome light
circuit. It got wet/ruined once after going through a car wash. Crazy
thing started dinging while driving down the road or just sitting in the
garage. I don't remember all the details now, but the door switch was cheap
and easy to replace. Best of all the dinging stopped.

Like I said, not sure if this is the case here, but it may be.

Regards,

mC

93LX 5.0

ups.com...

Old March 3rd 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

mC,

Thanks but I got it. When I posted, I had a full day of work ahead of
me so I had no access to the car and was hoping to receive some
ideas/input. When I got home I popped open the Owners Manual and
started reading. I found that the Anti-theft is run by fuse in
position 16 (Fuse is a 20) in my 1998 Mustang GT on the drivers side
compartment of the car underneath the dash. I've taken that fuse
completely out and now I get no theft light in my dash so I think it
worked. By worked, I mean disabling the Anti-theft mechanism that is
in effect, broke. Surprisingly, the keyless remote still works to lock
and unlock the doors! (that was one of my biggest worries of disabling
the Antitheft system but no more worries - well other than I need to
get a new alarm system but I'm typically parked in a videotaped lot so
I'll rely on that for now.

My neighbor mentioned that the random alarming might be because I am
parked on an incline, but I have no time to test that theory since I am
shy on sleep and my neighbors are completely ****ed off at me.

Hope this helps out someone else and thanks for your support.

Chuck

Old March 4th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Hey Chuck,

I think I can tell you what is wrong, and you can benefit from what cost me
a ****load to have diagnosed.
I had a 98 Cobra, same thing. I would walk away and it would go off or it
would be parked in the garage and all of a sudden it was hollering.

I took it in and had it diagnosed. The found the sensor in the deck lid was
bad and wanted !165 for the parts plus some awful amount to install it. I
unplugged it and the thing never went off again.

That sensor is located where the latch is in the deck lid. Try unplugging
yours. If that doesn't solve it, go on to the other sensors one at a time. I
still have the service CD for that year model and can email you the
schematics if you can give me a good address. At least I THINK I can,
sometimes it's a PITA to get stuff out of it.

Kate

"Chuck" > wrote in message
ups.com...
: Hi all,
:

Old October 25th 16, 03:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Chris and Vicky

replying to Chuck, Chris and Vicky wrote:
Thanks you Chuck, this was good advice. I'm going to try this tomorrow.

--
for full context, visit http://www.motorsforum.com/mustang/1...e-i-65628-.htm