Is there a database online for the number of shop hours a car repair should take?

Old December 13th 17, 05:12 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Is there a database online for the number of shop hours a carrepair should take?

On Tuesday, December 12, 2017 at 8:27:02 PM UTC-6, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 12/12/2017 8:04 PM, Wolf K wrote:
> > On 2017-12-12 17:07, micky wrote:

> >> It was 4500 for a used engine and 6500 for a rebuilt one.Â* Not worth it,
> >> and he knew it.
> >>

> > That depends on how much additional transportation you buy. As my cars
> > age, I begin to think in terms of, for example, "this brake job will
> > cost $450, that's about two months of financing a new(er) car, so if I
> > get more than two months out of it, I'm money ahead." Which, as it
> > turned out, I was, because the car wasn't at the stage of bits and
> > pieces falling off it. :-)
> >

> Just to add a little perspective to this topic, 1953 to 1970 I was a
> practicing Auto mechanic.
> 1960 to 1970 I owned my own business in a 2 car service station/garage.
> Our labor rates were $6.50 per hour, Increased to $7.00 an hour in 1965
> much to the crying and hollering of our customers.
> I ran a strictly honest place and had an abundance of loyal customers.
> Imperial Oil sold the property in 1970 and I left the auto trade.
> Back then I could do a 4 wheel brake job (no extras or complications}
> for the sum of $24.00 Shoes and labor On GM, Ford, Dodge or Plymouth.
> I moved into the field of power Engineering till I retired in year 2000
>
> Rene

Pete Robertson Auto Service Inc 5198 Lynch Street Extension Jackson, MS Pete passed away a few years ago, his son owns the shop now. He built his shop when he came home from Vietnam. They are very honest folks and they charge a fair price for the work they do.
Old December 13th 17, 04:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.windows7.general
Ed Pawlowski

On 12/12/2017 9:26 PM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:

> 1960 to 1970 I owned my own business in a 2 car service station/garage.
> Our labor rates were $6.50 per hour, Increased to $7.00 an hour in 1965
> much to the crying and hollering of our customers.
> I ran a strictly honest place and had an abundance of loyal customers.
> Imperial Oil sold the property in 1970 and I left the auto trade.
> Back then I could do a 4 wheel brake job (no extras or complications}
> for the sum of $24.00 Shoes and labor On GM, Ford, Dodge or Plymouth.

Things have not changed all that much. You can get 4 wheels none now
for as low as $500.
Old December 14th 17, 07:04 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.windows7.general
micky

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 12 Dec 2017 21:04:23 -0500, Wolf K
> wrote:

>On 2017-12-12 17:07, micky wrote:
>> In alt.home.repair, on 11 Dec 2017 09:50:19 -0500,
>> (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>>> Presumably you get that $90 refunded when you get an engine rebuild, though.
>>> --scott

>> It was 4500 for a used engine and 6500 for a rebuilt one. Not worth it,
>> and he knew it.
>>

>That depends on how much additional transportation you buy. As my cars

I'm telling you all, it was not worth it and he knew it. And he said
from his pov, it wasn't worth it. It didn't depend on anything he
didn't know. It's not a 20,000 car, it was a $2800 car and a used
engine would have all the same chance of breaking that the first engine
did. He said the rebuilt engines were rebuilt with better parts than
the original, but it's still 6500. So it wasn't worth it and he knew
it.

Old December 18th 17, 11:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.windows7.general
Diesel

Frank S >
news GMT in alt.windows7.general, wrote:

> I was told that there is a manual auto repair shops look up to
> find the number of shop hours they charge for a job.

It's not a manual per say. It's the cost/quote/job bids/expected
billable hours modules present in atleast two software packages I
know of that provide automechanics intimate details on your
car/truck/suv so that they can make repairs the right way. The
software database information is provided by the various
manufacturers of your ride, so that the repairs are proper and right
for your make/model.

I have alldata and Mitchell myself; which is what most of the shops
use (one or both) to work on your car and properly diagnose issues.
It also tells them how much time each job they need to perform on
your car should take. Billable hours, that is.

Some shops will go ahead and charge you the market value for the
repairs based on the full amount of hours the software told them it
should take, even if they were able to do it a couple of hours
faster. Others do not.

> To be fair, I'm told they all charge that many hours even if it
> doesn't take that many hours.

The software tells them how long a job should take from start to
finish, yes. it's upto the shop itself though if they want to go
ahead and bill you for the full amount of hours or not.

> Where can we car owners get that manual online?

The same places the autoshops who make use of the software can, but,
expect to pay some serious money for the software and have plenty of
storage space available to contain the database. Or, you can opt for
the online version that's subscription based. You can access it from
anywhere you have an internet connection and compatible browser.

If you feel that you're being cheated, and, it sounds like you feel
that way, I'd suggest taking your vehicle to another repair shop and
see how they treat you in so far as billable time goes for the
repairs you request/need performed.

--
Please visit our moderators personal page:
Now for a cheeky message from our sponsors:
Old December 18th 17, 11:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.windows7.general
Diesel

Frank S >
news in alt.windows7.general, wrote:

> In <news > Rene Lamontagne said:
>
>> Try Chilton manuals
>> , Used to be our source waybackwhen.

> The original question asks for a database *online* for the shop
> hours for any given job.
>
> I know Mitchells has it in paper manuals but I'm seeking an
> *online* source.

A flatrate amount most likely isn't in paper manuals, but the time it
should take a qualified mechanic to do the repair is. As the repair
cost varies from shop to shop and location to location. The shop
owner sets the hourly rate, but, the software tells them how many
hours this or that job should take to complete.

> I just want the flat rate time. Online. If it exists.

It doesn't provide a flat rate, it provides the time it should take a
qualified mechanic to do the repair. The shop sets the price they
charge per hour.

--
Please visit our moderators personal page:
Now for a cheeky message from our sponsors:
Don't use no double negatives.