Nitrogen in tires

Old March 5th 08, 04:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_4_]

Default Nitrogen in tires

Spike wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 13:16:59 GMT, "Esteban" >
> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks, quick question for the folks in the know. Yesterday I took the
>> wife's 05 Mustang in for the 30,000 mile check up. The service writer asked
>> me if I wanted nitrogen in the tires, the cost would be $32.50. With all
>> due respect to myself, I ain't no rocket scientist. I know about and why
>> they use nitrogen in aircraft tires...but, why would anyone pay extra to
>> have nitrogen in auto tires.
>> Please, someone help me understand this.
>> Thanks,
>> Steve
>>

> What happens when you lose nitrogen and have to fill up your tire?
>
> And, if you add air at a filling station, so that now you have one
> tire that's a mixture while the rest are pure nitrogen, does your car
> handle differently? Does it void the warrantee on the tire? Will that
> tire wear differently than the others? Can you sue if you have an
> accident as a result? Will Al Gore come after your? Will space aliens
> target your vehicle?:0)

You aren't supposed to have to add if you have nitrogen, that the
whole point. Personally, I'm skeptical though.

--
"Yah know I hate it when forces gather in ma' fringe..." - Sheogorath

"Contacting shutterfly help is an exercise in stupidity
as they can't seem to grasp the fact it's NOT MY BLOODY
ACCOUNT and some ******, one crack pipe short of a holiday,
has signed me up in a system that has no closed loop
confirmation yet has credit card information for billing." - Rev.
Beergoggles
Old March 5th 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Spike

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 21:12:30 -0600, WindsorFox
> wrote:

>Spike wrote:
>> On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 13:16:59 GMT, "Esteban" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi folks, quick question for the folks in the know. Yesterday I took the
>>> wife's 05 Mustang in for the 30,000 mile check up. The service writer asked
>>> me if I wanted nitrogen in the tires, the cost would be $32.50. With all
>>> due respect to myself, I ain't no rocket scientist. I know about and why
>>> they use nitrogen in aircraft tires...but, why would anyone pay extra to
>>> have nitrogen in auto tires.
>>> Please, someone help me understand this.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Steve
>>>

>> What happens when you lose nitrogen and have to fill up your tire?
>>
>> And, if you add air at a filling station, so that now you have one
>> tire that's a mixture while the rest are pure nitrogen, does your car
>> handle differently? Does it void the warrantee on the tire? Will that
>> tire wear differently than the others? Can you sue if you have an
>> accident as a result? Will Al Gore come after your? Will space aliens
>> target your vehicle?:0)

> You aren't supposed to have to add if you have nitrogen, that the
>whole point. Personally, I'm skeptical though.

Ahhhh, But they apparently don't know the kids from the group home
three blocks over. Or do those green caps change the attitudes of
those kids? :0)
Old March 5th 08, 08:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_4_]

Spike wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 21:12:30 -0600, WindsorFox
> > wrote:
>
>> Spike wrote:

>>> What happens when you lose nitrogen and have to fill up your tire?
>>>
>>> And, if you add air at a filling station, so that now you have one
>>> tire that's a mixture while the rest are pure nitrogen, does your car
>>> handle differently? Does it void the warrantee on the tire? Will that
>>> tire wear differently than the others? Can you sue if you have an
>>> accident as a result? Will Al Gore come after your? Will space aliens
>>> target your vehicle?:0)

>> You aren't supposed to have to add if you have nitrogen, that the
>> whole point. Personally, I'm skeptical though.

> Ahhhh, But they apparently don't know the kids from the group home
> three blocks over. Or do those green caps change the attitudes of
> those kids? :0)

IDK WTF "green caps" r

Old March 6th 08, 12:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Spike

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 13:29:31 -0600, WindsorFox
> wrote:

>Spike wrote:
>> On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 21:12:30 -0600, WindsorFox
>> > wrote:

>>> You aren't supposed to have to add if you have nitrogen, that the
>>> whole point. Personally, I'm skeptical though.

>> Ahhhh, But they apparently don't know the kids from the group home
>> three blocks over. Or do those green caps change the attitudes of
>> those kids? :0)

>IDK WTF "green caps" r

IDK either, but to quote Frank ess....

"Buy your tires at Costco and it's free, including the green valve
caps!"
Old March 9th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
ah[_2_]

"Eat Spam" > wrote in message

> WindsorFox wrote:
>>
>> Jan Andersson wrote:
>> >>

>> > To slow down the aging of the rubber?

>> Larger molecules, don't leak out. Way too extremely expensive IMHO.
>>
>> --
>> "Yah know I hate it when forces gather in ma' fringe..." - Sheogorath
>>
>> "Contacting shutterfly help is an exercise in stupidity
>> as they can't seem to grasp the fact it's NOT MY BLOODY
>> ACCOUNT and some ******, one crack pipe short of a holiday,
>> has signed me up in a system that has no closed loop
>> confirmation yet has credit card information for billing." - Rev.
>> Beergoggles

> "Larger molecules, don't leak out."??? My periodic table shows Nitrogen
> as element #7, and Oxygen as element #8. Since air is ~78% Nitrogen and
> ~21% Oxygen, if going for the "bigger" molecule, then pick Oxygen. Oops,
> just one small problem, pure oxygen like to go BOOM! if it finds some
> Hydrogen and a spark, which would leave your tires all wet. Personally,
> I'd jump straight to the Nobel gasses: Neon, Argon, Krypton, or Xenon.
> Skip Helium (#2 on the table) because we'd see a new crime wave hit the
> streets with people deflating tires to fill up their kid's birthday
> balloons or wanting to talk like chipmunks. I can see a new line of
> tires being marketed, that have little windows in the sides, so when you
> fill up the tires with Neon, you can flip a switch and pretty colors
> would appear. It will change the meaning of "lighting up" your tires,
> especially on the ponys!

hahaha! "lighting up" your tires. That's a good one, but I think you're
"thinking" too much! Fun though...! LOL

Old March 31st 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
JohnJohnsn

On Mar 1, 2:04*pm, WindsorFox > wrote:

> Jan Andersson wrote:
>
>> Esteban wrote:
>>
>>> Hi folks, quick question for the folks in the know. *Yesterday I took
>>> the wife's 05 Mustang in for the 30,000 mile check up. *The service
>>> writer asked me if I wanted nitrogen in the tires, the cost would be
>>> $32.50. *With all due respect to myself, I ain't no rocket scientist. *
>>> I know about and why they use nitrogen in aircraft tires...but, why
>>> would anyone pay extra to have nitrogen in auto tires.
>>> Please, someone help me understand this.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Steve

>> To slow down the aging of the rubber?

> * * Larger molecules, don't leak out. Way too extremely expensive IMHO..

October 04, 2007
Tires - Nitrogen air loss study

Filling tires with nitrogen rather than air is becoming a common
practice in the replacement tire market. This service offers tire
dealers another avenue for making money while also promoting safety.
The claimed safety benefits often include the potential for reducing
air loss compared to an air-filled tire. Maintaining proper inflation
can help prevent tire overheating; promote optimum tread life; and
reduce rubber aging and wheel corrosion. The use of nitrogen in large
truck fleets and the commercial tire industry are well documented and
support these claims.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has seen
reduced aging of tires filled with nitrogen. Though the data does
support that passenger car tires could benefit by all the claims made
for nitrogen, tire manufacturers say that they already design tires to
perform well with air inflation. And while nitrogen will do no harm,
manufacturers say that they don't see the need to use nitrogen, which
generally adds $5 or more per tire charge.

Consumer Reports wanted to find out if nitrogen is worth the price, so
we purchased a Nitrogen Inflation System and checked out how well the
inflation held up over a one year period. We evaluated pairs of 31
tire models of H- and V-speed rated, all-season tires used in our
tread wear test from 2006. We filled one tire per model with air and
the other with nitrogen. The test was quite simple: fill and set the
inflation pressure at room temperature to 30 psi (pounds per square
inch); set the tire outdoors for one year; and then recheck the
inflation pressure at room temperature after a one year period.

The tires were filled and deflated three times with nitrogen to purge
the air out of the tire cavity. We also used an oxygen analyzer to be
sure we had 95-percent nitrogen purity in the tire--the claimed purity
limit of our nitrogen system, which generates nitrogen gas from
ambient air.

The test started on September 20, 2006 and the final measurements were
taken on September 20, 2007. The results show nitrogen does reduce
pressure loss over time, but the reduction is only a 1.3 psi
difference from air-filled tires. The average loss of air-filled tires
was just 3.5 psi from the initial 30 pressure setting. Nitrogen-filled
tires lost an average of 2.2 psi from the initial 30 psi setting. More
important, all tires lost air pressure regardless of the inflation
medium, so consumers should check their tires' air pressure routinely.
No evaluation was done to assess the aging claim.

Bottom line: Overall, consumers can use nitrogen and might enjoy the
slight improvement in air retention provided, but it's not a
substitute for regular inflation checks.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...nitrogen-.html

Moreover, since nitrogen is supposedly less prone to volume change
with heat change many new car dealers' service departments routinely
substitute nitrogen for compressed air when their customers Tire
Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)-equipped vehicles come in during the
colder winter months complaining about their TPMS warnings.
Old June 1st 16, 02:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Insanerb25

replying to Spike, Insanerb25 wrote:
I hate to argue with most of you but the NHTSA study goes on to say that the
1.3% loss was on a low PSI tire, as PSI requirements increase so does the rate
of loss. Also depends on the area inside the tire, the humidity of the air
around you and the change of temperature. Driving at higher speeds causes a
higher fluctuation of temperature. If you drive around town at 40 mph in
arizona or texas and and you have small tires that are normally inflated to 35
psi then its a small change. If not it could be a big change, please read the
articles for yourself instead of taking someones word for them.
Links to both NHTSA pdf and prof daws study on this page
http://bvmotorsports.com/home/learn/...-filled-tires/

--
posted from
http://www.motorsforum.com/mustang/n...res-79892-.htm