replacing the transfer case chain?

Old October 22nd 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

Default replacing the transfer case chain?

Ummm, I recall that the progenitor of all of this was posts suggesting that
stop gap "fixes" were "good" fixes and that I take a very dim view of the
Fumoto valve (which "some" think is the cats meow....). Someone was quite
surprised that I knew what the Fumoto was....

Mayhaps my bedside manner isn't to your liking.... TOO ****ING BAD...

Mayhaps my free advice costs too much... talk to the usenet boss and see if
he can cut my wages....

FWIW, I'm not here to impress anyone... least of all Ulysses.

You want me to lead people around by the nose.... solve all their problems
for them and just, in general, be a congenial old coot.... What folks need
is to start thinking on their own... I can help in things mechanical, But
the crux of the matter will be "think on their own".... The old "give a man
a fish or teach a man to fish" th

Old October 22nd 07, 03:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

John... in nearly 40 years of doing this, I've only replaced about 4
transfer case chains... all of these were on units that saw a LOT of 4WD
heavy slogging.... Most concerns involve shift forks and/or mode
synchros....

I'm probably the original "doubting Thomas"... I like to have a very good
reason for anything that I do to an automobile...

Looking back through posts on this NG and other venues, I see a few
references to debris on the transfer case speed sensors.... I recall some
reports (and, IIRC a TSB) about transfer case fluid contamination. Neither
of these really seem to fit your circumstance though they are worth
exploring - as in cheap to do.

Unfortunately, I'm not close enough to the concern to be of much more help
at this time... you sound to have a lot of money invested in this concern
with no resolution and I am loathe to recommend a course of action that I
wouldn't normally take on a customers car....

Old October 22nd 07, 03:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

John Smith didn't come in here with a chip on his shoulder....

You have the option of ignoring me.... I suggest you exercise it...

FWIW, my goal in life has nothing to do with your expectations... this is
usenet - if your skin is thin, I suggest a different venue...

I am not politically correct, I don't pretend to be politically correct and
I never expect to be politically correct.....

Old October 22nd 07, 06:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses[_2_]

"Ulysses" /> wrote in message

> [...]

car.
> I agree that Warman's post on the transfer case was a great post and a

real
> contribution to usenet. Meanwhile, I have managed to gather enough
> information from this and other sources to keep my 'ol '91 running great.
>
> Being the "shadetree" kind of mechanic I would tend to go for just

replacing
> the chain and seals if the clutch is really expensive and you have a
> reliable source telling you it's just the chain. The transfer case is not
> exactly easy to remove but not extremely difficult either. Since there

have
> been very few reports of transfer case problems (that I've read anyway) I
> would tend to do the minimum required. If it doesn't work then you at

least
> have a real good idea what the problem might be.

I just looked up a transfer case (probably not the same as yours because
it's for a '92 with 4.0L) in my Ford Service Manual CD. The instructions
are very clear and nicely illustrated on exactly how to disassemble the
transfer case but I could find no information on troubleshooting the TC. I
could also find no specs on allowable play on the chain or wear on parts
etc. Torque settings I *could* find. This looks like one of those times
when you need a professional mechanic like Warman to tell you what's what.

BTW I got my Ford Manual CD on eBay a while back for not very much $$$ ($10
or $12 or so). I think it's worth getting. I also have an old laptop I got
on eBay for $5 that I can use it in in the garage (or even under the car).
The CD I got runs on Win 95 or higher and a 486 CPU. It may even run on
3.1. I've heard some of the CDs require a Pentium and Win XP.

Old January 3rd 16, 01:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
jlewis454tci

replying to Jim Warman, jlewis454tci wrote:
You seem to know a lot about these transfer cases I have a 95 5.0 all wheel
drive Explorer on my transfer case the front drive shaft is the four bolt u
join u-joint style the only used transfer case I could find was the 4404 6 bol
6 bolt CV style is there anyway I can make that work in my 95 perhaps by
taking them apart switching internals I noticed that the 4404 does not have a
flange bolt

--
posted from
http://www.motorsforum.com/ford-expl...ain-19460-.htm

Transfer Case HotRod 4x4 6 July 20th 06 05:08 PM
mod 20 transfer case Steve G Jeep 6 April 18th 06 04:27 AM
88 YJ transfer case ? Greg Jeep 2 March 4th 06 04:08 PM
transfer case Firebird Jeep 9 September 13th 05 05:53 PM
Transfer case chain wear ? Gerald Riggs Ford Explorer 0 January 27th 05 12:11 AM