Windshield wiper arm puts too much pressure on blade (buckling)

Old October 8th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc

Default Windshield wiper arm puts too much pressure on blade (buckling)

I have a 97 accord (190K). Over the past 40K miles, I noticed that the
drivers side wiper blade leaves streaks. I tried replacing the blade
from a Trico to a Honda stock. Still the same problem.
Recently I noticed that the blade is buckling in certain parts as if
there is too much pressure from the arm. There is no such buckling on
the passenger blade which continues to wipe fine.
Is there some way to adjust the pressure of the wiper arm on the blade?
This problem may have something to do with getting a new winshield a
year ago. However, I am not sure if this problem was happening before
that.
Thanks

Old October 8th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc
Art[_1_]

Does it feel like too much pressure when you lift the arm? If not, if you
are just replacing the rubber instead replace the blade.

oups.com...

Old October 8th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc
Bob M.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a 97 accord (190K). Over the past 40K miles, I noticed that the
> drivers side wiper blade leaves streaks. I tried replacing the blade
> from a Trico to a Honda stock. Still the same problem.
> Recently I noticed that the blade is buckling in certain parts as if
> there is too much pressure from the arm. There is no such buckling on
> the passenger blade which continues to wipe fine.
> Is there some way to adjust the pressure of the wiper arm on the blade?
> This problem may have something to do with getting a new winshield a
> year ago. However, I am not sure if this problem was happening before
> that.
> Thanks

I doubt there is any adjustment.

Did you replace just the rubber blade or the entire wiper frame? If just
the rubber, go back to the dealer and get the entire frame with rubber.

Swap passenger side & driver side wipers and see if the problem follows.

Old October 8th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc
Steve W.[_2_]

wrote:
> I have a 97 accord (190K). Over the past 40K miles, I noticed that the
> drivers side wiper blade leaves streaks. I tried replacing the blade
> from a Trico to a Honda stock. Still the same problem.
> Recently I noticed that the blade is buckling in certain parts as if
> there is too much pressure from the arm. There is no such buckling on
> the passenger blade which continues to wipe fine.
> Is there some way to adjust the pressure of the wiper arm on the blade?
> This problem may have something to do with getting a new winshield a
> year ago. However, I am not sure if this problem was happening before
> that.
> Thanks

Check the wiper blade angle. When the blade is halfway through it's arc
the blade and it's holder should be at a right angle to the glass. If
the wiper frame is tilting either direction GENTLY bend the arm in the
opposite way. I usually use a small square on the side of the wiper
frame to check for the angle. Ideally the entire blade should fold over
on each stroke. When you get streaks it is because of wear on the wiping
edge OR the blade isn't folding completely.

--
Steve W.

Old October 8th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc
hls[_2_]

"Bob M." > wrote in message

If just
> the rubber, go back to the dealer and get the entire frame with rubber.

Dealers ass, homey. Is that the best you can come up with?

Sheesh!

Old October 8th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc
notbob

On 2006-10-08, Bob M. > wrote:

> Did you replace just the rubber blade or the entire wiper frame? If just
> the rubber, go back to the dealer and get the entire frame with rubber.

I concur. If you acquired this car used, the previous owner may bave
already replaced the stock arm/blade with an aftermarket unit. This
is quite often the case as aftermarket arm/blade combos can often be
purchased for less than OEM blades alone. But, in the end, it's a bad
idea. I tried this once and had to go back to stock.

Stock units are designed to work with the specific vehicle on a
specific windsheild at speed. Aftermarket units are not so
thoughtfully designed. The aftermarket unit I bought worked fine
around town, but above 60 mph, the poorly designed arm acted like an
air dam and actually lifted the whole arm/blade assy up away from the
glass, making it useless at speed. At least go down to the dealer and
look at an OEM arm/blade assy. A side-by-side comparison may reveal
the problem.

nb

Tire Pressure Monitor Luke Corvette 56 September 3rd 05 10:11 PM
Tire Pressure Monitor Luke Technology 58 September 2nd 05 06:47 AM
Windshield washer fluid pressure cap? Nellis VW air cooled 1 June 5th 05 01:40 PM
Windshield wiper not working Ulf BMW 4 December 21st 04 12:50 PM
E36 Windshield Wiper assembly Gabe Knuth BMW 2 December 2nd 04 04:14 PM