Fuel Pressure Regulator

Old June 2nd 08, 03:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jim C[_2_]

Default Fuel Pressure Regulator

In the spirit of the last thread *not* rehashing the air filter
question, I wanted to throw out something old. The last question I
put out there, someone challenged me back with the point that I should
have a plan and he's right. However, the next step on my plan will
cost a couple bucks, I'm saving up, yet still have the upgrade itch.
While I prepare for the next big step, one person I trust talked about
a fuel regulator, which seems affordable, and like a 'couple hours in
the driveway' do it myself type of thing. I have a couple questions.

What will it really get me? Is it really that easy to install? The
way my friend described the install and set-up, it almost seems
similar to advancing your timing, that once installed, you need to
tune it to the right setting. Do I need a fuel pressure gauge? How
would I tune it / set it up? The friend who had done it on a Mustang
he used to have remembered an article in Fast Fords with step - by -
step instructions that made it easy. Does anyone have the link to
this article?
Old June 2nd 08, 03:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Namehere

"Jim C" > wrote in message
> In the spirit of the last thread *not* rehashing the air filter
> question, I wanted to throw out something old. The last question I
> put out there, someone challenged me back with the point that I should
> have a plan and he's right. However, the next step on my plan will
> cost a couple bucks, I'm saving up, yet still have the upgrade itch.
> While I prepare for the next big step, one person I trust talked about
> a fuel regulator, which seems affordable, and like a 'couple hours in
> the driveway' do it myself type of thing. I have a couple questions.
>
> What will it really get me? Is it really that easy to install? The
> way my friend described the install and set-up, it almost seems
> similar to advancing your timing, that once installed, you need to
> tune it to the right setting. Do I need a fuel pressure gauge? How
> would I tune it / set it up? The friend who had done it on a Mustang
> he used to have remembered an article in Fast Fords with step - by -
> step instructions that made it easy. Does anyone have the link to
> this article?

Which Car?
in a 5.0 you have to take off the upper manifold, if you haven't before,
then you have to cut that bar in the back that hold upper/lower together.
I read another article that discussed how fussy tuning it was, so I kept
with stock,
and later got the car professionally tuned with a wideband sensor and new
chip.
still has stock Fuel pressure gague.

1993 5.0 8# KB

Old June 2nd 08, 04:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jim C[_2_]

On Jun 2, 10:29*am, "Namehere" > wrote:
> "Jim C" > wrote in message

> > In the spirit of the last thread *not* rehashing the air filter
> > question, I wanted to throw out something old. *The last question I
> > put out there, someone challenged me back with the point that I should
> > have a plan and he's right. *However, the next step on my plan will
> > cost a couple bucks, I'm saving up, yet still have the upgrade itch.
> > While I prepare for the next big step, one person I trust talked about
> > a fuel regulator, which seems affordable, and like a 'couple hours in
> > the driveway' do it myself type of thing. *I have a couple questions.

> > What will it really get me? Is it really that easy to install? *The
> > way my friend described the install and set-up, it almost seems
> > similar to advancing your timing, that once installed, you need to
> > tune it to the right setting. *Do I need a fuel pressure gauge? *How
> > would I tune it / set it up? *The friend who had done it on a Mustang
> > he used to have remembered an article in Fast Fords with step - by -
> > step instructions that made it easy. *Does anyone have the link to
> > this article?

> Which Car?
> in a 5.0 you have to take off the upper manifold, if you haven't before,
> then you have to cut that bar in the back that hold upper/lower together.
> I read another article that discussed how fussy tuning it was, so I kept
> with stock,
> and later got the car professionally tuned with a wideband sensor and new
> chip.
> still has stock Fuel pressure gague.
>
> 1993 5.0 8# KB- Hide quoted text -

Ewww... The car is an 89 LX Convertible 5.0. Removing the upper, and
cutting some bar seems like more than I wanted for a quickie upgrade,
for some unknown gain. Thanks for the info.

One article (by an individual, not a company) seemed to suggest
increasing fuel pressure would allow me to support more timing
advance. I currently have the car @ 11 BTDC, with no pinging. With
fuel prices where they are, I REFUSE to advance it more to where I
would need premium. Would higher pressure allow more advance, on
regular unleaded?
Old June 2nd 08, 04:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_4_]

Jim C wrote:
> In the spirit of the last thread *not* rehashing the air filter
> question, I wanted to throw out something old. The last question I
> put out there, someone challenged me back with the point that I should
> have a plan and he's right. However, the next step on my plan will
> cost a couple bucks, I'm saving up, yet still have the upgrade itch.
> While I prepare for the next big step, one person I trust talked about
> a fuel regulator, which seems affordable, and like a 'couple hours in
> the driveway' do it myself type of thing. I have a couple questions.
>
> What will it really get me? Is it really that easy to install? The
> way my friend described the install and set-up, it almost seems
> similar to advancing your timing, that once installed, you need to
> tune it to the right setting. Do I need a fuel pressure gauge? How
> would I tune it / set it up? The friend who had done it on a Mustang
> he used to have remembered an article in Fast Fords with step - by -
> step instructions that made it easy. Does anyone have the link to
> this article?

There is a guy locally, actually a GM LT engine tuner, who has a dyno
and told me that with the mods I have and a perfect tune up, he could
tune 20-60 HP out of my Mustang with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

--

"You wouldn't know acceptable behavior, let alone 'nice',
if it bit you on your pudgy ankles." - Sam Trap
Old June 2nd 08, 04:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_4_]

Jim C wrote:
> On Jun 2, 10:29 am, "Namehere" > wrote:
>> "Jim C" > wrote in message

>>> In the spirit of the last thread *not* rehashing the air filter
>>> question, I wanted to throw out something old. The last question I
>>> put out there, someone challenged me back with the point that I should
>>> have a plan and he's right. However, the next step on my plan will
>>> cost a couple bucks, I'm saving up, yet still have the upgrade itch.
>>> While I prepare for the next big step, one person I trust talked about
>>> a fuel regulator, which seems affordable, and like a 'couple hours in
>>> the driveway' do it myself type of thing. I have a couple questions.
>>> What will it really get me? Is it really that easy to install? The
>>> way my friend described the install and set-up, it almost seems
>>> similar to advancing your timing, that once installed, you need to
>>> tune it to the right setting. Do I need a fuel pressure gauge? How
>>> would I tune it / set it up? The friend who had done it on a Mustang
>>> he used to have remembered an article in Fast Fords with step - by -
>>> step instructions that made it easy. Does anyone have the link to
>>> this article?

>> Which Car?
>> in a 5.0 you have to take off the upper manifold, if you haven't before,
>> then you have to cut that bar in the back that hold upper/lower together.
>> I read another article that discussed how fussy tuning it was, so I kept
>> with stock,
>> and later got the car professionally tuned with a wideband sensor and new
>> chip.
>> still has stock Fuel pressure gague.
>>
>> 1993 5.0 8# KB- Hide quoted text -

> Ewww... The car is an 89 LX Convertible 5.0. Removing the upper, and
> cutting some bar seems like more than I wanted for a quickie upgrade,
> for some unknown gain. Thanks for the info.
>
> One article (by an individual, not a company) seemed to suggest
> increasing fuel pressure would allow me to support more timing
> advance. I currently have the car @ 11 BTDC, with no pinging. With
> fuel prices where they are, I REFUSE to advance it more to where I
> would need premium. Would higher pressure allow more advance, on
> regular unleaded?

I've been told if you want all the power you can get out of larger
injectors, you must install and adjustable regulator.

Old June 2nd 08, 04:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_4_]

Namehere wrote:
> "Jim C" > wrote in message
>> In the spirit of the last thread *not* rehashing the air filter
>> question, I wanted to throw out something old. The last question I
>> put out there, someone challenged me back with the point that I should
>> have a plan and he's right. However, the next step on my plan will
>> cost a couple bucks, I'm saving up, yet still have the upgrade itch.
>> While I prepare for the next big step, one person I trust talked about
>> a fuel regulator, which seems affordable, and like a 'couple hours in
>> the driveway' do it myself type of thing. I have a couple questions.
>>
>> What will it really get me? Is it really that easy to install? The
>> way my friend described the install and set-up, it almost seems
>> similar to advancing your timing, that once installed, you need to
>> tune it to the right setting. Do I need a fuel pressure gauge? How
>> would I tune it / set it up? The friend who had done it on a Mustang
>> he used to have remembered an article in Fast Fords with step - by -
>> step instructions that made it easy. Does anyone have the link to
>> this article?

> Which Car?
> in a 5.0 you have to take off the upper manifold, if you haven't before,
> then you have to cut that bar in the back that hold upper/lower together.
> I read another article that discussed how fussy tuning it was, so I kept
> with stock,
> and later got the car professionally tuned with a wideband sensor and new
> chip.
> still has stock Fuel pressure gague.
>
> 1993 5.0 8# KB

I don't under stand that cut the bar thing, but I have an Edelebrock
intake.

Old June 2nd 08, 04:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Namehere

"Jim C" > wrote in message
On Jun 2, 10:29 am, "Namehere" > wrote:
> "Jim C" > wrote in message

> > In the spirit of the last thread *not* rehashing the air filter
> > question, I wanted to throw out something old. The last question I
> > put out there, someone challenged me back with the point that I should
> > have a plan and he's right. However, the next step on my plan will
> > cost a couple bucks, I'm saving up, yet still have the upgrade itch.
> > While I prepare for the next big step, one person I trust talked about
> > a fuel regulator, which seems affordable, and like a 'couple hours in
> > the driveway' do it myself type of thing. I have a couple questions.

> > What will it really get me? Is it really that easy to install? The
> > way my friend described the install and set-up, it almost seems
> > similar to advancing your timing, that once installed, you need to
> > tune it to the right setting. Do I need a fuel pressure gauge? How
> > would I tune it / set it up? The friend who had done it on a Mustang
> > he used to have remembered an article in Fast Fords with step - by -
> > step instructions that made it easy. Does anyone have the link to
> > this article?

> Which Car?
> in a 5.0 you have to take off the upper manifold, if you haven't before,
> then you have to cut that bar in the back that hold upper/lower together.
> I read another article that discussed how fussy tuning it was, so I kept
> with stock,
> and later got the car professionally tuned with a wideband sensor and new
> chip.
> still has stock Fuel pressure gague.
>
> 1993 5.0 8# KB- Hide quoted text -

Ewww... The car is an 89 LX Convertible 5.0. Removing the upper, and
cutting some bar seems like more than I wanted for a quickie upgrade,
for some unknown gain. Thanks for the info.

One article (by an individual, not a company) seemed to suggest
increasing fuel pressure would allow me to support more timing
advance. I currently have the car @ 11 BTDC, with no pinging. With
fuel prices where they are, I REFUSE to advance it more to where I
would need premium. Would higher pressure allow more advance, on
regular unleaded?

increasing the fuel pressure will seem like you have larger injectors, a
trick they do all the time with FMU's and blowers, but the computer will cut
back the pulsewidth the injector to compensate, so you get the same HP
unless you get more air into engine.
So you can get more fuel, but not more air, it is stuck at 70% without
getting new heads to improve airflow, or a blower.
I think 10 is stock timing setting, some have gone to 15, and listen for
pings (risky) but could work, depends on how much carbon you have built up
in your engine, and switch to next colder spark plugs to reduce det.
You could use premium and bump the timing up more, but, if you get a tank of
bad (or regular) gas, "ping city" and with summer coming on (more heat, more
det)

Putting in a thermostat at 180 keeps the engine a little cooler. Putting in
a new/rebuilt 3 core radiator is easy, but I got one off the west coast and
it worked worse than the one I took off. So got another. There are some
great buildups in the old 5.0 Mags late 90's and 2000, may be at a libarary
??? Show what works what dosent. The 5.0 is already very well optomized.
Some good summer performance tires made a huge difference for me, I had some
really old cop tires that got too hard, smoked nice, but little traction,
switched to
BF Goodrich g-sport (had to fit 15 inch cop rims)

Old June 2nd 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Namehere

"WindsorFox<SS>" > wrote in message
> Namehere wrote:
>> "Jim C" > wrote in message
>>> In the spirit of the last thread *not* rehashing the air filter
>>> question, I wanted to throw out something old. The last question I
>>> put out there, someone challenged me back with the point that I should
>>> have a plan and he's right. However, the next step on my plan will
>>> cost a couple bucks, I'm saving up, yet still have the upgrade itch.
>>> While I prepare for the next big step, one person I trust talked about
>>> a fuel regulator, which seems affordable, and like a 'couple hours in
>>> the driveway' do it myself type of thing. I have a couple questions.
>>>
>>> What will it really get me? Is it really that easy to install? The
>>> way my friend described the install and set-up, it almost seems
>>> similar to advancing your timing, that once installed, you need to
>>> tune it to the right setting. Do I need a fuel pressure gauge? How
>>> would I tune it / set it up? The friend who had done it on a Mustang
>>> he used to have remembered an article in Fast Fords with step - by -
>>> step instructions that made it easy. Does anyone have the link to
>>> this article?

>> Which Car?
>> in a 5.0 you have to take off the upper manifold, if you haven't before,
>> then you have to cut that bar in the back that hold upper/lower together.
>> I read another article that discussed how fussy tuning it was, so I kept
>> with stock,
>> and later got the car professionally tuned with a wideband sensor and new
>> chip.
>> still has stock Fuel pressure gague.
>>
>> 1993 5.0 8# KB

> I don't under stand that cut the bar thing, but I have an Edelebrock
> intake.

the stock 93 had a flipping bar in the back side, about 1/4 inch that tied
the upper to lower manafold together about a foot long between engine and
firewall, had to cut it when putting on the Keene Bell, this was an old cop
car too has a few other slight mods, but I thought the bar was stock, and
lame, did nothing mechanical except keep uppper and lower together.
Did you run into this when you put the Edelebrock on?

Old June 2nd 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

Jim C wrote:
> In the spirit of the last thread *not* rehashing the air filter
> question, I wanted to throw out something old. The last question I
> put out there, someone challenged me back with the point that I should
> have a plan and he's right. However, the next step on my plan will
> cost a couple bucks, I'm saving up, yet still have the upgrade itch.
> While I prepare for the next big step, one person I trust talked about
> a fuel regulator, which seems affordable, and like a 'couple hours in
> the driveway' do it myself type of thing. I have a couple questions.
>
> What will it really get me? Is it really that easy to install? The
> way my friend described the install and set-up, it almost seems
> similar to advancing your timing, that once installed, you need to
> tune it to the right setting. Do I need a fuel pressure gauge? How
> would I tune it / set it up? The friend who had done it on a Mustang
> he used to have remembered an article in Fast Fords with step - by -
> step instructions that made it easy. Does anyone have the link to
> this article?

Without knowing your plan it is hard to say if a regulator is beneficial
at this time or at all. Where I think fuel pressure becomes a big
concern is when turbos or superchargers are installed. Then fuel
pressure has the added burden of overcoming the boost pressure and the
overall fuel system might need improved to supply fuel at the required
pressure AND volume. If you are staying N/A then it isn't as much a
concern and the custom tune you should get will compensate for any
little variation in fuel pressure you may have now.

So, what's your plan?
Old June 2nd 08, 06:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

Jim C wrote:
> On Jun 2, 10:29 am, "Namehere" > wrote:
>> "Jim C" > wrote in message

>>> In the spirit of the last thread *not* rehashing the air filter
>>> question, I wanted to throw out something old. The last question I
>>> put out there, someone challenged me back with the point that I should
>>> have a plan and he's right. However, the next step on my plan will
>>> cost a couple bucks, I'm saving up, yet still have the upgrade itch.
>>> While I prepare for the next big step, one person I trust talked about
>>> a fuel regulator, which seems affordable, and like a 'couple hours in
>>> the driveway' do it myself type of thing. I have a couple questions.
>>> What will it really get me? Is it really that easy to install? The
>>> way my friend described the install and set-up, it almost seems
>>> similar to advancing your timing, that once installed, you need to
>>> tune it to the right setting. Do I need a fuel pressure gauge? How
>>> would I tune it / set it up? The friend who had done it on a Mustang
>>> he used to have remembered an article in Fast Fords with step - by -
>>> step instructions that made it easy. Does anyone have the link to
>>> this article?

>> Which Car?
>> in a 5.0 you have to take off the upper manifold, if you haven't before,
>> then you have to cut that bar in the back that hold upper/lower together.
>> I read another article that discussed how fussy tuning it was, so I kept
>> with stock,
>> and later got the car professionally tuned with a wideband sensor and new
>> chip.
>> still has stock Fuel pressure gague.
>>
>> 1993 5.0 8# KB- Hide quoted text -

> Ewww... The car is an 89 LX Convertible 5.0. Removing the upper, and
> cutting some bar seems like more than I wanted for a quickie upgrade,
> for some unknown gain. Thanks for the info.
>
> One article (by an individual, not a company) seemed to suggest
> increasing fuel pressure would allow me to support more timing
> advance. I currently have the car @ 11 BTDC, with no pinging. With
> fuel prices where they are, I REFUSE to advance it more to where I
> would need premium. Would higher pressure allow more advance, on
> regular unleaded?

You're not going to get much, if any, horsepower from just replacing a
working regulator and messing with fuel pressure. You can make the
engine run richer by increasing fuel pressure during WOT but that
doesn't necessarily make more power. Personally, I wouldn't waste my
time on this now. You have a plan so stick to it. These little
distraction are just wasting money that can be better spent on parts
included in the plan. I have wasted so much money on my car by breaking
from the plan that I would cry a river of tears if I added it up.

Fuel Pressure Regulator tigerclauz Audi 1 February 13th 07 12:29 PM
Fuel pressure regulator? John P.[_1_] Technology 0 August 27th 06 06:32 PM
What is the proper way to test Fuel Pressure Regulator/fuel pump daveck2 BMW 1 March 28th 06 04:54 AM
Fuel pressure regulator Ford Mustang 4 May 19th 05 10:34 AM
Fuel Pressure Regulator James Burton VW water cooled 1 February 27th 05 07:52 PM