radio frequency emmision

Old December 16th 07, 01:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default radio frequency emmision

My Jeep Cherokee has begun to operate my automatic gates randomly.
This can occur with the vehicle switced off as well as with engine
running.
Other vehicles we own do notdo so.
Any ideas?!
George
Old December 16th 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Dec 16, 6:27 pm, clifto > wrote:
> wrote:
> > My Jeep Cherokee has begun to operate my automatic gates randomly.
> > This can occur with the vehicle switced off as well as with engine
> > running.

> How can you tell it's the Cherokee doing it?
>
> --
> Dec. 6 (Bloomberg) -- Government officials and activists flying to Bali,
> Indonesia, for the United Nations meeting on climate change will cause
> as much pollution as 20,000 cars in a year.

Because I can "control" the gates by driving the car into and out of
range.
I have isolated many electric functions by removing fuses and relays.
None of my other cars do it
I have removed and swapped around the remote control from vehicle to
vehicle.
It is more predictable if the motor is running but not essential.
The common denominator is the Cherokee at normal remote control
distance from the gates - around 30 metres or less.
The emission is probably constant (or fairly constant) as it defeats
the remote - i.e. the remote does not function untill the jeep is out
of range.

Old December 17th 07, 03:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

> wrote:
>
>Because I can "control" the gates by driving the car into and out of
>range.
>I have isolated many electric functions by removing fuses and relays.
>None of my other cars do it
>I have removed and swapped around the remote control from vehicle to
>vehicle.
>It is more predictable if the motor is running but not essential.
>The common denominator is the Cherokee at normal remote control
>distance from the gates - around 30 metres or less.
>The emission is probably constant (or fairly constant) as it defeats
>the remote - i.e. the remote does not function untill the jeep is out
>of range.

First, get the manual for the gate opener and find out what frequency
it operates at.

Then call your local amateur radio club and see if there is someone
with a spectrum analyzer who might want to come over and help you track
it down.
--scott
Old December 17th 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

On Dec 16, 8:05 am, wrote:
> My Jeep Cherokee has begun to operate my automatic gates randomly.
> This can occur with the vehicle switced off as well as with engine
> running.
> Other vehicles we own do notdo so.
> Any ideas?!
> George

Some cars have a garage door opener control built-in. Does yours?
Old December 18th 07, 02:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Dec 17, 5:20 pm, "John S." > wrote:
> On Dec 16, 8:05 am, wrote:
>
> > My Jeep Cherokee has begun to operate my automatic gates randomly.
> > This can occur with the vehicle switced off as well as with engine
> > running.
> > Other vehicles we own do notdo so.
> > Any ideas?!
> > George

> Some cars have a garage door opener control built-in. Does yours?

Found it!! The spec. analizer idea was the trigger. No local club
(rural Spain!) Bought a new radio card for the gate system and set it
up with battery and LED.
Got erratic triggers from the XJ but statistically more when occupying
the passenger seat. Attenuated the Radio card by wrapping it in foil
with no antenna etc
Eventually centred off on right rear passenger foot area. Under the
carpet (removed during a radio fit) was a remote!! Only triggered (I
suppose) when floor/carpet deflected under weight of person sitting
near. All made more frustrating and inconsistant because the remote
switches off after 30 secs constant output and needs further 15 secs
before turning on (and then only if the button is momentarily
released). Before retiring I spent 30 years in the auto trade and we
always said "there's always a new one"!
My wife only admitted losing the remote when I found the damn thing!
Many thanks for responses
George