Brakes chirp after inspection

Old December 15th 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech, alt.autos.toyota

Default Brakes chirp after inspection

My 2007 Toyota Sienna was perfectly well behaved until the day I
brought it in to have the tires rotated. They told me they also did a
"brake inspection" (unrequested) and everything checked out ok.

Well ever since then I hear a "chirp chirp chirp" coming from the rear
when I brake. The frequency of the chirp coincides with the speed of
the tires.

I took it back in and they said they can't imagine they could have
caused it since their inspection was purely visual. But on my request
they did a more thorough review of the brakes -- and couldn't see
anything wrong. Since the chirping only occurs about 30% of the time,
perhaps the mechanic didn't hear it.

My questions a could a brake inspection cause such a thing? What
is likely wrong -- something misaligned? something warped?

I'm a reasonably light braker and the car isn't even a year old.

Thanks for any insight
Dave
Old December 15th 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota
Jeff Strickland

A "visual" inspection would not have caused the noises. To suggest that a
visual inspection caused noise is akin to the suggestion that lifting the
hood caused the motor to blow up.

When the tires are removed, the remaining brake pad material can be plainly
seen, and this is the extent of a visual inspection. All they did was look
at the edge of the brake rotor that is exposed through an opening in the
caliper that is relatively hidden from view until the tires are taken off.

Looking through the opening to assess the remaining brake pad material is
like lifting the lid from the pot to see if it is boiling inside. You could
take a spoon and stir the pot, but if what is inside burns, stirring it was
not the cause. And, you could taste it for spices, but that would not be a
visual inspection anymore.

Old December 15th 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech, alt.autos.toyota
Marsh Monster

On Dec 15, 2:13 pm, "Jeff Strickland" > wrote:
> A "visual" inspection would not have caused the noises. To suggest that a
> visual inspection caused noise is akin to the suggestion that lifting the
> hood caused the motor to blow up.
>
> When the tires are removed, the remaining brake pad material can be plainly
> seen, and this is the extent of a visual inspection. All they did was look
> at the edge of the brake rotor that is exposed through an opening in the
> caliper that is relatively hidden from view until the tires are taken off.
>
> Looking through the opening to assess the remaining brake pad material is
> like lifting the lid from the pot to see if it is boiling inside. You could
> take a spoon and stir the pot, but if what is inside burns, stirring it was
> not the cause. And, you could taste it for spices, but that would not be a
> visual inspection anymore.
>
> > wrote in message

> > My 2007 Toyota Sienna was perfectly well behaved until the day I
> > brought it in to have the tires rotated. They told me they also did a
> > "brake inspection" (unrequested) and everything checked out ok.

> > Well ever since then I hear a "chirp chirp chirp" coming from the rear
> > when I brake. The frequency of the chirp coincides with the speed of
> > the tires.

> > I took it back in and they said they can't imagine they could have
> > caused it since their inspection was purely visual. But on my request
> > they did a more thorough review of the brakes -- and couldn't see
> > anything wrong. Since the chirping only occurs about 30% of the time,
> > perhaps the mechanic didn't hear it.

> > My questions a could a brake inspection cause such a thing? What
> > is likely wrong -- something misaligned? something warped?

> > I'm a reasonably light braker and the car isn't even a year old.

> > Thanks for any insight
> > Dave- Hide quoted text -

=========
=========

what he said..........ditto.........

and......let me make it clearer fer yuh...........with.........

When, is a visual inspection not a visual inspection?

That's what Jeff's tell'n you......so read what he wrote, not
what yer read'n.

then.......ask the techs that did the inspection this.......

"Did the caliper pistons seem to retract ok?"

and.......the answer to the question will be answered.

~:~
marsh
~takes a toke........walks down to the next bay......looks at the
pads..
push's the piston in........brakes ok mister....see you in 8 months~
~:~
Old December 15th 07, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota
Ray O

> wrote in message
> My 2007 Toyota Sienna was perfectly well behaved until the day I
> brought it in to have the tires rotated. They told me they also did a
> "brake inspection" (unrequested) and everything checked out ok.
>
> Well ever since then I hear a "chirp chirp chirp" coming from the rear
> when I brake. The frequency of the chirp coincides with the speed of
> the tires.
>
> I took it back in and they said they can't imagine they could have
> caused it since their inspection was purely visual. But on my request
> they did a more thorough review of the brakes -- and couldn't see
> anything wrong. Since the chirping only occurs about 30% of the time,
> perhaps the mechanic didn't hear it.
>
> My questions a could a brake inspection cause such a thing? What
> is likely wrong -- something misaligned? something warped?
>
> I'm a reasonably light braker and the car isn't even a year old.
>
> Thanks for any insight
> Dave

If your Sienna has 4 wheel disc brakes, then a visual inspection is
sufficient to determine remaining pad thickness. If the pads are getting
worn, the pad wear indicator - a strip of metal that touches the rotor after
the pads wear down to make a squeaking noise that makes the customer take it
in to get checked - may be touching the rotor.

If it has drum brakes, then it is necessary to remove the drums to inspect
the brake shoe lining thickness. Removing the drum could have disturbed
some of the dust that normally builds up inside of the drum, making noise.
If it has drum brakes, a cleaning and adjustment will probably make the
noise go away.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Old December 15th 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota
Jeff Strickland

"Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote in message
. ..

> > wrote in message
>> My 2007 Toyota Sienna was perfectly well behaved until the day I
>> brought it in to have the tires rotated. They told me they also did a
>> "brake inspection" (unrequested) and everything checked out ok.
>>
>> Well ever since then I hear a "chirp chirp chirp" coming from the rear
>> when I brake. The frequency of the chirp coincides with the speed of
>> the tires.
>>
>> I took it back in and they said they can't imagine they could have
>> caused it since their inspection was purely visual. But on my request
>> they did a more thorough review of the brakes -- and couldn't see
>> anything wrong. Since the chirping only occurs about 30% of the time,
>> perhaps the mechanic didn't hear it.
>>
>> My questions a could a brake inspection cause such a thing? What
>> is likely wrong -- something misaligned? something warped?
>>
>> I'm a reasonably light braker and the car isn't even a year old.
>>
>> Thanks for any insight
>> Dave

> If your Sienna has 4 wheel disc brakes, then a visual inspection is
> sufficient to determine remaining pad thickness. If the pads are getting
> worn, the pad wear indicator - a strip of metal that touches the rotor
> after the pads wear down to make a squeaking noise that makes the customer
> take it in to get checked - may be touching the rotor.

But Ray, if that was the case (the wear indicators t5ouching the rotors),
surely the tire shop would say, "The brakes are worn out and you need brake
service." The shop indicated that all is well, and no service is needed.

> If it has drum brakes, then it is necessary to remove the drums to inspect
> the brake shoe lining thickness. Removing the drum could have disturbed
> some of the dust that normally builds up inside of the drum, making noise.
> If it has drum brakes, a cleaning and adjustment will probably make the
> noise go away.

That's a good point ...

Old December 16th 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota
philthy[_1_]

not a year old. is it still under warranty?

Old December 16th 07, 04:26 AM posted to rec.autos.tech, alt.autos.toyota
Marsh Monster

On Dec 15, 5:23 pm, "Jeff Strickland" > wrote:
> "Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote in message
>
> . ..
>

> > > wrote in message
> >> My 2007 Toyota Sienna was perfectly well behaved until the day I
> >> brought it in to have the tires rotated. They told me they also did a
> >> "brake inspection" (unrequested) and everything checked out ok.

> >> Well ever since then I hear a "chirp chirp chirp" coming from the rear
> >> when I brake. The frequency of the chirp coincides with the speed of
> >> the tires.

> >> I took it back in and they said they can't imagine they could have
> >> caused it since their inspection was purely visual. But on my request
> >> they did a more thorough review of the brakes -- and couldn't see
> >> anything wrong. Since the chirping only occurs about 30% of the time,
> >> perhaps the mechanic didn't hear it.

> >> My questions a could a brake inspection cause such a thing? What
> >> is likely wrong -- something misaligned? something warped?

> >> I'm a reasonably light braker and the car isn't even a year old.

> >> Thanks for any insight
> >> Dave

> > If your Sienna has 4 wheel disc brakes, then a visual inspection is
> > sufficient to determine remaining pad thickness. If the pads are getting
> > worn, the pad wear indicator - a strip of metal that touches the rotor
> > after the pads wear down to make a squeaking noise that makes the customer
> > take it in to get checked - may be touching the rotor.

> But Ray, if that was the case (the wear indicators t5ouching the rotors),
> surely the tire shop would say, "The brakes are worn out and you need brake
> service." The shop indicated that all is well, and no service is needed.
>
> > If it has drum brakes, then it is necessary to remove the drums to inspect
> > the brake shoe lining thickness. Removing the drum could have disturbed
> > some of the dust that normally builds up inside of the drum, making noise.
> > If it has drum brakes, a cleaning and adjustment will probably make the
> > noise go away.

> That's a good point ...- Hide quoted text -

======
======

They "MOST" likey...bent the backing plates, which are now
hitting the rotor.

anywhoooo.......it's a mess i guess that i guess this mess
is not at rest till THEY confess they did suppress the fact
of the mess that they did mess with the brakes that gives
them unrest because this mess may jest.......cost them time
to fix.

those.......diks !!

~:~
marsh
~sips his crownroyal....takes his screwdriver BACK out....
and fix's his mess~
~:~
Old December 16th 07, 06:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota
Ray O

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
newslZ8j.163$Uq4.132@trnddc06...

> "Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> > wrote in message
>>> My 2007 Toyota Sienna was perfectly well behaved until the day I
>>> brought it in to have the tires rotated. They told me they also did a
>>> "brake inspection" (unrequested) and everything checked out ok.
>>>
>>> Well ever since then I hear a "chirp chirp chirp" coming from the rear
>>> when I brake. The frequency of the chirp coincides with the speed of
>>> the tires.
>>>
>>> I took it back in and they said they can't imagine they could have
>>> caused it since their inspection was purely visual. But on my request
>>> they did a more thorough review of the brakes -- and couldn't see
>>> anything wrong. Since the chirping only occurs about 30% of the time,
>>> perhaps the mechanic didn't hear it.
>>>
>>> My questions a could a brake inspection cause such a thing? What
>>> is likely wrong -- something misaligned? something warped?
>>>
>>> I'm a reasonably light braker and the car isn't even a year old.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any insight
>>> Dave

>> If your Sienna has 4 wheel disc brakes, then a visual inspection is
>> sufficient to determine remaining pad thickness. If the pads are getting
>> worn, the pad wear indicator - a strip of metal that touches the rotor
>> after the pads wear down to make a squeaking noise that makes the
>> customer take it in to get checked - may be touching the rotor.
>>

> But Ray, if that was the case (the wear indicators t5ouching the rotors),
> surely the tire shop would say, "The brakes are worn out and you need
> brake service." The shop indicated that all is well, and no service is
> needed.

It is unlikely that a vehhicle that is less than a year old has worn the
rear pads down to the indicators, especially without first having done so to
the front and the dealer missing it, but my success in fixing cars that
dealers could not comes from leaving no stone unturned.

>> If it has drum brakes, then it is necessary to remove the drums to
>> inspect the brake shoe lining thickness. Removing the drum could have
>> disturbed some of the dust that normally builds up inside of the drum,
>> making noise. If it has drum brakes, a cleaning and adjustment will
>> probably make the noise go away.

> That's a good point ...

One more possibility if the van has 4 wheel disc brakes is that the parking
brake is a mini drum brake. If the vehicle was driven with the parking
brake on, then a buildup of brake dust may make noise.

Also, even if it has drum brakes and the shop removed a drum to inspect
lining thickness, I would still consider it a "visual" inspection.

Old December 16th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech, alt.autos.toyota
Marsh Monster

=======
=======

dejavu

~:~
mm
~lays off the smoke fer a bit
~:~
Old December 16th 07, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech, alt.autos.toyota

Thank you for all the replies.

The rear brakes are drums. When I took it back in, a mechanic (not
the same tech who originally did the inspection) took off the drums
and looked for "glazing or debris" and reported no apparent problems.
So I thanked him and drove away... and still get chirping roughly 30%
of the times that I brake.

It sounds like his theory of what happened was likely similar to that
of most of you folks (ie. that the original tech did in fact remove
the drums and disturbed some interior dust), so now I'm even more
confused that this second guy found nothing.

As for the other suggestion that they may have "bent the backing
plates," I don't follow what that means.

PS. Yes it is under warranty... though obviously that's only useful if
the shop can identify what is wrong. It's now been 7 weeks since this
all started so unfortunately I doubt it will go away on its own.

Dave

Passat Chirp Fuse VW water cooled 6 November 26th 06 10:59 PM
96 Altima chirp noise [email protected] Technology 1 September 13th 06 06:43 PM
Clutch Chirp Prometheus7 Mazda 27 November 15th 05 11:36 PM
Brakes specs on MD Inspection Report-99 Honda Accord Per Technology 12 November 10th 05 03:17 PM
FOUND MY CHIRP!! finally found that annoying chirp on my 2000. [email protected] Ford Mustang 0 December 23rd 04 08:15 PM