Worn out A6

Old February 19th 07, 07:32 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
L. D. Mormino

Default Worn out A6

I took the 99 A6 in for a recall fix and the dealer found nearly $4000 worth
of work that was need on a car with just under 60,000 miles on it. Also,
some of the repairs needed to be done before it would pass the state
inspection. They said it was just worn out; that some go longer but nothing
unusual.
The repairs included; lower control arms-$670, tie rods- $490 - Timing belt-
$1500, Suction jet pump- $850, Front propshaft seal -$485.
My question to you is; can that be right? I wrote to the Audi of America but
they did not respond. But I don't think that I could buy another Audi.
Larry

Old February 19th 07, 02:07 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
PeterD

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 07:32:19 GMT, "L. D. Mormino"
> wrote:

>I took the 99 A6 in for a recall fix and the dealer found nearly $4000 worth
>of work that was need on a car with just under 60,000 miles on it. Also,
>some of the repairs needed to be done before it would pass the state
>inspection. They said it was just worn out; that some go longer but nothing
>unusual.
>The repairs included; lower control arms-$670, tie rods- $490 - Timing belt-
>$1500, Suction jet pump- $850, Front propshaft seal -$485.
>My question to you is; can that be right? I wrote to the Audi of America but
>they did not respond. But I don't think that I could buy another Audi.
>Larry

Have the dealer do *just* the recall. (They are required to do this,
and cannot make a recall dependent on other non-warranty/non-recall
replairs).

Then take it to an honest, independent shop (that is good, and has a
good reputation) and ask them to evaluate the other items.

Then make a decision.

Oh, and find a new dealer. <bg>
Old February 19th 07, 03:35 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dave[_9_]

"L. D. Mormino" > wrote in message
nk.net...
>I took the 99 A6 in for a recall fix and the dealer found nearly $4000
>worth of work that was need on a car with just under 60,000 miles on it.
>Also, some of the repairs needed to be done before it would pass the state
>inspection. They said it was just worn out; that some go longer but nothing
>unusual.
> The repairs included; lower control arms-$670, tie rods- $490 - Timing
> belt- $1500, Suction jet pump- $850, Front propshaft seal -$485.
> My question to you is; can that be right? I wrote to the Audi of America
> but they did not respond. But I don't think that I could buy another Audi.
> Larry

Lower control arms are a well known issue. Tie rods are possibly also
affected. Propshaft seal could go and 60k is not unreasonable.

Timing belt is a consumable which should be changed anywhere from 60k - 120k
miles depending on engine.

Somehow I feel that they are trying to fleece you so as has already been
stated, get the recall done but go elsewhere for a second opinion

Old February 19th 07, 04:39 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
L. D. Mormino

Thanks, I got the wiring recall done and am thinking about getting a new car
instead of spending $4000 on this one. Thanks, Larry

Old February 19th 07, 06:56 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Ed Pirrero

On Feb 19, 8:39 am, "L. D. Mormino" > wrote:
> Thanks, I got the wiring recall done and am thinking about getting a new car
> instead of spending $4000 on this one.

Yeah, because the new car will cost less than $4000, and have a timing
belt that never needs to be replaced...

No wonder so many people are in debt up to their eyeballs - if this is
the kind of "thinking" that prevails.

Of course, the Audi dealer did VAG no service by trying to belt this
guy for $4000 of repairs, who knows how many of which were really
necessary.

The timing belt, yeah. But $1500 is WAY TOO DAMN MUCH to spend on
that job.

Still, are there people out there who are really this completely brain-
dead?

The mind boggles.

E.P.

Old February 19th 07, 08:05 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 07:32:19 GMT, "L. D. Mormino"
> wrote:

>I took the 99 A6 in for a recall fix and the dealer found nearly $4000 worth
>of work that was need on a car with just under 60,000 miles on it. Also,
>some of the repairs needed to be done before it would pass the state
>inspection. They said it was just worn out; that some go longer but nothing
>unusual.

I wouldn't call it worn 'out' After all, the car's almost 8 years old.

>The repairs included; lower control arms-$670, tie rods- $490 - Timing belt-
>$1500, Suction jet pump- $850, Front propshaft seal -$485.

lower control arms and tie rods are common, timing belt is something
you have to have done anyway. You can always decide if you want to buy
a new car before every timing belt change or just have it done.

Guess what's cheaper?.

Suction jet pump and prop-shaft seal I don't know about.

>My question to you is; can that be right?

Yeah, completely right.

>I wrote to the Audi of America but they did not respond.

Err, well maintenance for an 8 year old car does include the odd
bigger repair.

For the record, I own a 99 A6 as well, 2,5 TDI, Avant.

100.000 miles on it and owned it since new.

Had several lower control arms and tie rod ends, had one timing belt
done at 75kmiles for ~700 Euros, thats around 900US$ right now, at the
dealer. Had two sets of braking discs in the front and one in the
rear. Worst that happened was a failed fuel injection pump a few
months ago, meaning after more than 7 years and almost 100kmiles. Ouch
on a TDI with those high pressure pumps. Cost me ~2.500 US$ at the
dealer.

Was still a good deal, bcause 8 weeks later the new pump went again.
Obviously the second pump cost me nothing.

In both cases I had a decent loaner free of charge, so I didn't worry.

Sure, somewhen in the future the dampers need a change. That's most
likely then a job for the independent. I need to fix a screw in the
rear door lining too :-)

I went through the maths that time. By no means it would make sense
financially to buy a new car, even with those repairs. The car is
mine, no debt.

Dealer would offer ~14kUS$ for it if I trade it in.

But most important:

Every time I get in and drive it, it's a most pleasant feeling.

:-)

Wolfgang

Old February 19th 07, 08:22 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Marcus Redd

"Wolfgang Pawlinetz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 07:32:19 GMT, "L. D. Mormino"
> > wrote:
>>My question to you is; can that be right?

> Yeah, completely right.

rrrrright...

> In both cases I had a decent loaner free of charge, so I didn't worry.

Hehehe... "free of charge" - and he thinks what he paid was reasonable.

Old February 19th 07, 08:34 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 20:22:49 -0000, "Marcus Redd" > wrote:

>"Wolfgang Pawlinetz" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 07:32:19 GMT, "L. D. Mormino"
>> > wrote:
>>>My question to you is; can that be right?

>> Yeah, completely right.

>rrrrright...

Well, maybe not completely right, yes :-)
The price for the belt change is quote high. I was mainly referring to
the number of repairs.

Don't get me wrong, I'd also try to find another dealer, because this
one's too expensive, but I wanted to express that the car's not waste
just because of those things.

>> In both cases I had a decent loaner free of charge, so I didn't worry.

>Hehehe... "free of charge" - and he thinks what he paid was reasonable.

Hmm. I think 900bucks including time and material for a V6TDI belt
change is VERY reasonable. The independents wouldn't do it for that
price.

Not with waterpump and tensioner and all.

W.

Old February 20th 07, 06:31 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
L. D. Mormino

I appreciate the input but these are items that need to be repaired to be
safe. I see the big things like the engine, transmission, etc that will be
next. Where does it end? Larry

Old February 20th 07, 05:34 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Marcus Redd

"Wolfgang Pawlinetz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 20:22:49 -0000, "Marcus Redd" > wrote:
>>"Wolfgang Pawlinetz" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 07:32:19 GMT, "L. D. Mormino"
>>>
>>> Yeah, completely right.

>>rrrrright...

> Well, maybe not completely right, yes :-)
> The price for the belt change is quote high. I was mainly referring to
> the number of repairs.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I'd also try to find another dealer, because this
> one's too expensive, but I wanted to express that the car's not waste
> just because of those things.
>
>>> In both cases I had a decent loaner free of charge, so I didn't worry.

>>Hehehe... "free of charge" - and he thinks what he paid was reasonable.

> Hmm. I think 900bucks including time and material for a V6TDI belt
> change is VERY reasonable. The independents wouldn't do it for that
> price.
>
> Not with waterpump and tensioner and all.
>
> W.

Sorry mate, I was in a bad mood last night...

CV joints worn out! TeGGeR® Honda 12 April 28th 06 04:35 AM
Can a worn flywheel be turned down a bit? IltisVW VW water cooled 2 March 22nd 06 03:06 AM
do i have worn shocks? Jeff Honda 13 November 2nd 05 04:41 AM
Worn out XJ Shocks Eric Jeep 7 January 19th 05 06:20 AM
UK - leather seat worn BMW 0 September 21st 04 01:09 AM