Need Options - Distributors

Old June 8th 08, 01:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Need Options - Distributors

What's everyone's opinion of aftermarket -- MSD, Mallory, etc. --
distributors? After they worth the extra dollars over a stock
replacement on a near stock 5-liter engine?

If so, what brand do you recommend?

Patrick
Old June 8th 08, 04:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
ND

> wrote in message
> What's everyone's opinion of aftermarket -- MSD, Mallory, etc. --
> distributors? After they worth the extra dollars over a stock
> replacement on a near stock 5-liter engine?
>
> If so, what brand do you recommend?
>
> Patrick

Wish I could back my answer up but from what I've been told the stock
distributor does just fine on a modded motor so on a near stock there should
be no issues.

Nick

Old June 8th 08, 05:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
jonezzzman[_2_]

ND wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> What's everyone's opinion of aftermarket -- MSD, Mallory, etc. --
>> distributors? After they worth the extra dollars over a stock
>> replacement on a near stock 5-liter engine?
>>
>> If so, what brand do you recommend?
>>
>> Patrick

> Wish I could back my answer up but from what I've been told the stock
> distributor does just fine on a modded motor so on a near stock there should
> be no issues.
>
> Nick

I would have to agree with Nick. Not much gain for the money. They do
look nice, though.
Old June 8th 08, 05:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_4_]

wrote:
> What's everyone's opinion of aftermarket -- MSD, Mallory, etc. --
> distributors? After they worth the extra dollars over a stock
> replacement on a near stock 5-liter engine?
>
> If so, what brand do you recommend?
>
> Patrick

Well, I've never really looked into them much but I can tell you what
I did learn. I know someone with a 66 Mustang and a Mallory system and
he's had what I consider more that his share of trouble with it. Two
other unrelated people both said "Mallory is probably okay, but if you
have trouble at the track you are only going to find people with spare
parts for MSD. From what I've seen the MSD seems of better quality than
Mallory. Now I have a Jacobs super coil and a Jacobs computer, only
because I needed a coil and I wanted the anti-theft feature and nitrous
controller from them. Back When I had my Charger, I talked to a big time
Mopar engine builder and when I asked him about after market ignitions
and he said in 30 years of building engines he's done a lot of testing
and he never tested any coil or ignition that provided any more
horsepower than the standard "chrome box" from Mopar Performance. On the
same note after I got the Mustang, I've had several builders tell me
that the stock 5.0 distributor is really good and there is no reason to
change it for performance unless yours is broken.

If I bought a distributor today, it would likely be an MSD.

--

"Listen asshole, this case is not closed. I demand
that you <the Better Business Bureau> order the abusive
Old June 8th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_4_]

ND wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> What's everyone's opinion of aftermarket -- MSD, Mallory, etc. --
>> distributors? After they worth the extra dollars over a stock
>> replacement on a near stock 5-liter engine?
>>
>> If so, what brand do you recommend?
>>
>> Patrick

> Wish I could back my answer up but from what I've been told the stock
> distributor does just fine on a modded motor so on a near stock there should
> be no issues.
>
> Nick

Short version of my reply was the same. All the experts and
"experts" that I have talked to over the years said there's no reason to
replace the stock distributor on a 5.0 unless it's defective.

Old June 8th 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
scott[_7_]

Just get a stock rebuild with an OEM hall-effect sensor.

Old June 9th 08, 02:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Jun 8, 11:40 am, "WindsorFox<SS>" > wrote:
> ND wrote:

> > > wrote in message
> >> What's everyone's opinion of aftermarket -- MSD, Mallory, etc. --
> >> distributors? After they worth the extra dollars over a stock
> >> replacement on a near stock 5-liter engine?

> >> If so, what brand do you recommend?

> > Wish I could back my answer up but from what I've been told the stock
> > distributor does just fine on a modded motor so on a near stock there should
> > be no issues.

> Short version of my reply was the same. All the experts and
> "experts" that I have talked to over the years said there's no reason to
> replace the stock distributor on a 5.0 unless it's defective.

One of the screw holes that secure the ignition module are stripped,
and Locktit didn't help, so I need to replace my distributor. Due to
the advice given here, I ordered a stock replacement unit.

Anyone want to share tips on how to install the new one?

Patrick

Old June 9th 08, 02:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_4_]

wrote:

>>> Wish I could back my answer up but from what I've been told the stock
>>> distributor does just fine on a modded motor so on a near stock there should
>>> be no issues.

>> Short version of my reply was the same. All the experts and
>> "experts" that I have talked to over the years said there's no reason to
>> replace the stock distributor on a 5.0 unless it's defective.

> One of the screw holes that secure the ignition module are stripped,
> and Locktit didn't help, so I need to replace my distributor. Due to
> the advice given here, I ordered a stock replacement unit.
>
> Anyone want to share tips on how to install the new one?
>
> Patrick

Yeah, I've gotten to where I always take a healthy dose of Valerian
root before I start working on any car...

Old June 9th 08, 06:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
jonezzzman[_2_]

wrote:

>>> Wish I could back my answer up but from what I've been told the stock
>>> distributor does just fine on a modded motor so on a near stock there should
>>> be no issues.

>> Short version of my reply was the same. All the experts and
>> "experts" that I have talked to over the years said there's no reason to
>> replace the stock distributor on a 5.0 unless it's defective.

> One of the screw holes that secure the ignition module are stripped,
> and Locktit didn't help, so I need to replace my distributor. Due to
> the advice given here, I ordered a stock replacement unit.
>
> Anyone want to share tips on how to install the new one?
>
> Patrick

Before removing the old distributor, I would suggest lining up the rotor
with cylinder 1. If your not sure of the cylinder numbers and firing
order, check your manual. Also, remember that the crankshaft turns 2
times for every 1 revolution of the distributor, so you can't simply
line up to TDC. And, move only 1 wire at a time or mark them. Install
the new distributor/rotor as close to the same position as the old. The
rotor turns slightly as you push it in. Double check the firing order
with your manual and remember that the rotor goes counter clockwise. At
least they used to. I believe they still do. Before you start the
engine double-check the wires again. You may already know all this
stuff, but I hope this helps.

One time, I replaced the wires on a 289 in my 68 mustang by removing all
of them thinking that I knew what I was doing and I knew the firing
order. Well, I installed them with a clockwise firing order. When I
tried to start it, it sounded like a shot gun right next to me. Luckily
I didn't damage the engine or mufflers. At least, not that I know of.

Byron