1999 A6 Tran Problem?

Old March 3rd 07, 06:10 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dale Webler

Default 1999 A6 Tran Problem?

Was doing about 75 mph on the freeway coming home from work earlier today
when all of a sudden the car shudders like someone hit the car from behind.
Also felt like a slipping clutch that suddenly catches. After the momentary
thud, off you go like nothing happened. Very intermittent as well. Did it
three times on the way home and then later on in the evening at much slower
city street speed (about 25-30 mph or so). Car is up to date on all service
intervals. Has about 115K and engine runs very well. Have had the normal
wear stuff replaced (e.g. engine - timing belt and water pump, suspension -
boots, tie rod ends, new tires, etc).

Thanks for any feedback regarding what the problem might be.

Old March 3rd 07, 08:47 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
LeakiestWink

"Dale Webler" > wrote in message
> Was doing about 75 mph on the freeway coming home from work
> earlier today when all of a sudden the car shudders like
> someone hit the car from behind. Also felt like a slipping
> clutch that suddenly catches. After the momentary thud, off
> you go like nothing happened. Very intermittent as well. Did
> it three times on the way home and then later on in the evening
> at much slower city street speed (about 25-30 mph or so). Car
> is up to date on all service intervals. Has about 115K and
> engine runs very well. Have had the normal wear stuff replaced
> (e.g. engine - timing belt and water pump, suspension - boots,
> tie rod ends, new tires, etc).
>
> Thanks for any feedback regarding what the problem might be.

I take it you are from the land of the "free" ;-) - so no doubt
you have a slush box, rather than a stick! My gut feeling is
that stored fault codes (DTCs), from both engine and tranny ECUs,
would need to be pulled, and this would certainly help the
initial diagnosis.

HTH, rgds, Sean

Old March 6th 07, 05:14 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dale Webler

Thanks for the feedback, Sean. You are correct. I am an "ugly American"
with a slush box. I'll see what I can do to pull the codes without going to
the local Audi dealership as the cost is fairly high just to do the
diagnostic.