California bans driving while holding a cell phone - THIS IS BULL****

Old September 16th 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_]

Default California bans driving while holding a cell phone - THIS IS BULL****

http://www.knx1070.com/pages/83763.p...ntentId=206095

Governor Schwarzenegger Signs Cell Phone Law

Megan Braziel Reporting - Posted: Friday, 15 September 2006 4:05PM

KNX 1070 NEWSRADIO

OAKLAND, CA (AP) -- Governor Schwarzenegger singed a bill Friday that
will make it illegal to hold a cell phone while driving. The new law
will require drivers to use headsets or speakers to talk while in the
car.

Motorists could be fined up to $50 when the new bill will take effect
July 1, 2008.

(snip)

==========================

I'm all for cracking down on phone drivers but this won't do any good

1. You can still phone-drive as long as it's on a hands-free phone

2. The penalty is a measly $50

3. The law doesn't take effect for TWO YEARS!!!!!!!!

Old September 16th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Eeyore[_1_]

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:

> I'm all for cracking down on phone drivers but this won't do any good
>
> 1. You can still phone-drive as long as it's on a hands-free phone

And drivers can still be distracted by passengers too ! Utterly shocking. All
passengers should have gags fitted ! This should be compulsory fitment at the
factory.

Don't even start on the distraction caused by traffic !!!!!

> 2. The penalty is a measly $50

I agree. It probably should be higher to have a true deterent effect.

Graham

Old September 16th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
B1ackWater

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 18:01:11 +0100, Eeyore
> wrote:

>Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
>
>> I'm all for cracking down on phone drivers but this won't do any good
>>
>> 1. You can still phone-drive as long as it's on a hands-free phone

>And drivers can still be distracted by passengers too ! Utterly shocking. All
>passengers should have gags fitted ! This should be compulsory fitment at the
>factory.
>
>Don't even start on the distraction caused by traffic !!!!!

There HAS been research done on this sort of stuff - and
cell phones are apparently MORE distracting than traffic,
the oldies station or even screaming kids. Too much of
the brain gets drawn into the conversation, drivers are
half there, half with the person on the other end of
the connection.

ALL non-emergency telephone use by drivers should be banned.
We could re-fit some of those automatic speed cameras to
detect cell-band transmissions and snap a photo. If we can
see the driver fooling with a phone - instant ticket.

>> 2. The penalty is a measly $50

>I agree. It probably should be higher to have a true deterent effect.

How high ? Make it legal for other drivers to shoot
anyone they see gabbing on a phone ? :-)

Old September 16th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Bill Funk

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 17:52:49 GMT, (B1ackwater) wrote:

>>I agree. It probably should be higher to have a true deterent effect.

> How high ? Make it legal for other drivers to shoot
> anyone they see gabbing on a phone ? :-)

I'm all for that!
Mandatory gun ownership! YEAH!
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old September 16th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
morticide

Bill Funk wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 17:52:49 GMT, (B1ackwater) wrote:
>
> >>I agree. It probably should be higher to have a true deterent effect.

> > How high ? Make it legal for other drivers to shoot
> > anyone they see gabbing on a phone ? :-)
> >

> I'm all for that!
> Mandatory gun ownership! YEAH!
> --
> Bill Funk
> replace "g" with "a"

there you go...shoot the tires out, then approach the car "Park the
damn thing if you want to talk."

Old September 17th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Hello Kitty

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
> http://www.knx1070.com/pages/83763.p...ntentId=206095
>
> Governor Schwarzenegger Signs Cell Phone Law
>
> Megan Braziel Reporting - Posted: Friday, 15 September 2006 4:05PM
>
> KNX 1070 NEWSRADIO
>

> OAKLAND, CA (AP) -- Governor Schwarzenegger singed a bill Friday that
> will make it illegal to hold a cell phone while driving. The new law
> will require drivers to use headsets or speakers to talk while in the
> car.
>
> Motorists could be fined up to $50 when the new bill will take effect
> July 1, 2008.
>
> (snip)
>
> ==========================
>
> I'm all for cracking down on phone drivers but this won't do any good
>
> 1. You can still phone-drive as long as it's on a hands-free phone
>
> 2. The penalty is a measly $50
>
> 3. The law doesn't take effect for TWO YEARS!!!!!!!!

No, the real problem this doesn't address is people watching DVDs while
driving. I mean, you just can't imagine what kind of problems that
causes...especially when they're watching "Team America World Police"
and trying to drive at the same time - that's a recipe for disaster for
sure.

And don't get me started on people who shower while driving...

Old September 17th 06, 05:02 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Bill Funk

On 16 Sep 2006 23:13:34 GMT, Jim Yanik > wrote:

>"morticide" > wrote in
oups.com:

>> Bill Funk wrote:

>>> I'm all for that!
>>> Mandatory gun ownership! YEAH!
>>> --
>>> Bill Funk
>>> replace "g" with "a"

>How did Bill go from "making it legal to shoot" to "*mandatory* gun
>ownership"???

Not only that, but anything with less than 500lbs/ft of energy at 50'
means you must stay in the right lane!

>> there you go...shoot the tires out, then approach the car "Park the
>> damn thing if you want to talk."
>>

>Problem is;any misses,who knows where the stray bullets end up.
>People get killed that way,the wrong people.

So what? It's the fault of the guy with the cell phone, anyway.

>At least if you shoot into the auto body,the bullets have a better chance
>of stopping instead of exiting. B-)

It would take more than a handgun to go through a steel-bodied car.
I guess that means anyone driving a plactic/fiberglass-bodied car
should be very careful to not talk on a cellphone while driving, huh?
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old September 17th 06, 05:03 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Bill Funk

On 16 Sep 2006 19:18:39 -0700, "Hello Kitty"
> wrote:

>No, the real problem this doesn't address is people watching DVDs while
>driving. I mean, you just can't imagine what kind of problems that
>causes...especially when they're watching "Team America World Police"
>and trying to drive at the same time - that's a recipe for disaster for
>sure.

And you know this, how?
:-)
--