Check engine light codes

Old April 19th 06, 12:30 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

Default Check engine light codes

I own a 96 Grand Caravan and today when I started the van it felt
"rumbly". A few minutes after starting the van the check engine light came
on. I followed the direction in the Haynes manual to run the ignition key
code check.
The codes I got were 12, 43, 31, 31 and 55. I know and understand what
code 12 and 55 are, but am at a loss as to why I got code 31 twice and
what exactly do these codes mean.
Yes, I read the book and saw what they mean but I am not mechanically
inclined, my Hubby is not here (he is in the Navy and not home right now)
and I am worried that these codes could mean something expensive for me.
We do own an OBD, but currently a friend of Hubby's is using it and I do
not know their name or phone number to get it back.
Any help would be much appreciated!

TY

Old April 19th 06, 09:28 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

--

"My4Heathens" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> I own a 96 Grand Caravan and today when I started the van it felt
> "rumbly". A few minutes after starting the van the check engine light came
> on. I followed the direction in the Haynes manual to run the ignition key
> code check.
> The codes I got were 12, 43, 31, 31 and 55. I know and understand what
> code 12 and 55 are, but am at a loss as to why I got code 31 twice and
> what exactly do these codes mean.
> Yes, I read the book and saw what they mean but I am not mechanically
> inclined, my Hubby is not here (he is in the Navy and not home right now)
> and I am worried that these codes could mean something expensive for me.
> We do own an OBD, but currently a friend of Hubby's is using it and I do
> not know their name or phone number to get it back.
> Any help would be much appreciated!
>
> TY

What does the Chilton manual say the codes are by those numbers?

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old April 19th 06, 10:58 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

Go here http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes.html

Coasty

Old April 21st 06, 05:11 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

Couold be detecting a miss due to vacuum leak. Is the gas cap on
completely? That will set a code.

Old April 29th 06, 09:16 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

It's my understanding that you will never have a code repeat. Is that
possible 44 instead of 31 & 31? The pause between the numbers and the blinks
isn't always uniform.

-Matt

Old April 29th 06, 09:21 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

--

"Matt" > wrote in message
> It's my understanding that you will never have a code repeat. Is that
> possible 44 instead of 31 & 31? The pause between the numbers and the

blinks
> isn't always uniform.
>
> -Matt
>
> "My4Heathens" > wrote in message
> lkaboutautos.com...
> > I own a 96 Grand Caravan and today when I started the van it felt
> > "rumbly". A few minutes after starting the van the check engine light

came
> > on. I followed the direction in the Haynes manual to run the ignition

key
> > code check.
> > The codes I got were 12, 43, 31, 31 and 55. I know and understand what
> > code 12 and 55 are, but am at a loss as to why I got code 31 twice and
> > what exactly do these codes mean.
> > Yes, I read the book and saw what they mean but I am not mechanically
> > inclined, my Hubby is not here (he is in the Navy and not home right

now)
> > and I am worried that these codes could mean something expensive for me.
> > We do own an OBD, but currently a friend of Hubby's is using it and I

do
> > not know their name or phone number to get it back.
> > Any help would be much appreciated!
> >
> > TY

Have the code read out with a scan tool. the old key cycle way of doing it
is not accurate with that year.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech