rFactor video 27.3 run at Sardian

Old October 15th 05, 07:18 AM
Jeff Reid

Default rFactor video 27.3 run at Sardian

Some think the Formula is too fast, but it feels the same as a F1 to me.

rfrf1sh.wmv

Old October 15th 05, 07:19 AM
Jeff Reid

Oops, bad link, copied it from a forum post made by a friend.

http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/rfrf1sh.wmv

Old October 15th 05, 12:03 PM
JML

If that ís not a joke, it has nothing to do with real racing, its like 3
times faster than should be.... fraightening...

"Jeff Reid" > kirjoitti
viestissä:Ca14f.77397$lq6.2845@fed1read01...

Old October 15th 05, 01:28 PM

God, you're right, JML. Maybe it's the pre-chicane version of Sardian
before, you know, they changed it.

Old October 15th 05, 02:12 PM
Jeff Reid

> If that ís not a joke, it has nothing to do with real racing, its like 3 times faster than should be....
> fraightening...

It's not sped up. Probably what F1 drivers feel like on street courses,
like Monaco.

For comparason:

A real F1 at Spa with qualifying setup:

http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/spaf1.wmv

F1C99-02 (RH2004) at Spa:

http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/f1cspa.wmv

rFactor Formula at Toban Grand Prix (Toban Long)

http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/rfrf1tgp.wmv

Old October 16th 05, 11:23 AM
Alan Le

> If that ís not a joke, it has nothing to do with real racing, its like 3
> times faster than should be.... fraightening...

It does look fast, but the sensation of speed is about right. Hustling
along mountain roads lined with visible objects (in the peripheral) at 50-60
MPH irl feels pretty freakin' fast. Doing a course like Monaco in a F1 car
would be downright frightening by comparison. The point being that just
because it looks super fast doesn't mean the car's too fast. I have a
feeling rFactor is just doing a good job conveying the raw speed the cars
are capable of. I'd bet good money if we were to get a ride in a F1 car on
such a course, the sensation of speed would be even GREATER than what's
conveyed in that video. I've always felt perception of speed from my
monitor is WAY below what I get irl just driving mountain roads.

And FWIW, many folks have commented that decreasing FOV in rFactor brings it
back to what they are used to, no doubt because they no longer see objects
in their "peripheral vision" flying by.

Alan

Old October 16th 05, 05:15 PM

Jeff Reid wrote:
> > If that ís not a joke, it has nothing to do with real racing, its like 3 times faster than should be....
> > fraightening...

> It's not sped up. Probably what F1 drivers feel like on street courses,
> like Monaco.
>
> For comparason:
>
> A real F1 at Spa with qualifying setup:
>
> http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/spaf1.wmv
>
> F1C99-02 (RH2004) at Spa:
>
> http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/f1cspa.wmv
>
> rFactor Formula at Toban Grand Prix (Toban Long)
>
> http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/rfrf1tgp.wmv

I wish I had a link to it, but has anyone seen the onboard of Ayrton
Senna running a qualifying lap in a McLaren at Monaco? Now *that* was
frighteningly fast.

Kendt

Old October 16th 05, 05:23 PM
TW

On 16 Oct 2005 09:15:58 -0700, "
> wrote:

>I wish I had a link to it, but has anyone seen the onboard of Ayrton
>Senna running a qualifying lap in a McLaren at Monaco? Now *that* was
>frighteningly fast.

No. But I remember watching in-car footage of Senna qualifying at
Monaco in the rain, and that was frightening enough.
Old October 16th 05, 09:47 PM
ymenard

" > wrote
>I wish I had a link to it, but has anyone seen the onboard of Ayrton
>Senna running a qualifying lap in a McLaren at Monaco? Now *that* was
>frighteningly fast.

Sense of speed is all proportional to the FOV of the camera that records the
action. That, and the shaking movement of the camera which enhances the
effect of having "no-control it goes too fast".

So to compare a game versus another is completely stupid, it makes no
difference, both are entities inside a 3d model of space.

--
-- François Ménard <ymenard>
-- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez