Serious CHOP after AMD64/mobo

Old October 13th 05, 07:16 AM
V \fnugen\

Default Serious CHOP after AMD64/mobo

Okay........I upgraded to an AMD64 3500+ and an MSI K8T Neo2-F mobo. I still
have my 1024g ram and a 128m 9800pro. XP Home SP2 with DX9.0c installed.
This "new" system is exactlty as my old one, excpet it was an AMD Sempron
2800+ and MSI KT4AV board. Same vid card, same ram......same OS. My HUGE
problem here is that now GTL demo, and F1c are seriously choppy in
comparison to my OLD setup. I reformatted and reinstalled XP Home. New
5.10cats......I get about 1 frame every 5 secs in GTL, and the F1c runs
smoother than GTL, but it has chop in the spinner and it is not anywhere
near as smooth as my old chip. I reinstalled both F1c and GTL to see if it
made any difference, same thing. I bought the mobo and CPU so that I could
RUN GTL..........now listen to everybody talk about it. Well, in an effort
to upgrade for a NEW game, my old game runs worse than before. I flashed
bios to newest, all drivers are new and updated. Any body have any ideas
?!?!?

Verne

Old October 13th 05, 08:15 AM
V \fnugen\

"V "fnugen"" > wrote in message
.. .
> Okay........I upgraded to an AMD64 3500+ and an MSI K8T Neo2-F mobo. I
> still have my 1024g ram and a 128m 9800pro. XP Home SP2 with DX9.0c
> installed. This "new" system is exactlty as my old one, excpet it was an
> AMD Sempron 2800+ and MSI KT4AV board. Same vid card, same ram......same
> OS. My HUGE problem here is that now GTL demo, and F1c are seriously
> choppy in comparison to my OLD setup. I reformatted and reinstalled XP
> Home. New 5.10cats......I get about 1 frame every 5 secs in GTL, and the
> F1c runs smoother than GTL, but it has chop in the spinner and it is not
> anywhere near as smooth as my old chip. I reinstalled both F1c and GTL to
> see if it made any difference, same thing. I bought the mobo and CPU so
> that I could RUN GTL..........now listen to everybody talk about it. Well,
> in an effort to upgrade for a NEW game, my old game runs worse than
> before. I flashed bios to newest, all drivers are new and updated. Any
> body have any ideas ?!?!?
>
> Verne

I get 3 short beeps on boot, I can see no error indication on the screen. A
website I came across noted possible RAM issues, but when I swapped the ram
out together, and individually in different slots, still 3 short beeps.
Anybody have a clue what AMI 3 short beeps might mean as well as ram ??

Old October 13th 05, 12:32 PM
Harry

"V \"fnugen\"" > wrote in
:

> "V "fnugen"" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> Okay........I upgraded to an AMD64 3500+ and an MSI K8T Neo2-F mobo.
>> I still have my 1024g ram and a 128m 9800pro. XP Home SP2 with DX9.0c
>> installed. This "new" system is exactlty as my old one, excpet it was
>> an AMD Sempron 2800+ and MSI KT4AV board. Same vid card, same
>> ram......same OS. My HUGE problem here is that now GTL demo, and F1c
>> are seriously choppy in comparison to my OLD setup. I reformatted and
>> reinstalled XP Home. New 5.10cats......I get about 1 frame every 5
>> secs in GTL, and the F1c runs smoother than GTL, but it has chop in
>> the spinner and it is not anywhere near as smooth as my old chip. I
>> reinstalled both F1c and GTL to see if it made any difference, same
>> thing. I bought the mobo and CPU so that I could RUN GTL..........now
>> listen to everybody talk about it. Well, in an effort to upgrade for
>> a NEW game, my old game runs worse than before. I flashed bios to
>> newest, all drivers are new and updated. Any body have any ideas
>> ?!?!?
>>
>> Verne
>>

> I get 3 short beeps on boot, I can see no error indication on the
> screen. A website I came across noted possible RAM issues, but when I
> swapped the ram out together, and individually in different slots,
> still 3 short beeps. Anybody have a clue what AMI 3 short beeps might
> mean as well as ram ??

Don't have that mobo, but just recently built an ASUS A8V system with the
same processor. Some thoughts:

If the RAM is an unpaired 2x512MB, the system might be running into
mismatch/sync problems trying to run it in Dual Channel mode. Possible
remedy: Underclock the memory in BIOS (don't worry, it'll still be
quicker than in single channel mode), or do the opposite of what MSI
recommend for double channel mode, thus forcing it into single channel. I
see on MIS's web page

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...bd_detail.php?
UID=608

that they claim only three RAM configuratons are valid for this mobo -
for two sticks, they MUST go into DIMM2 and DIMM4. I problems persist, I
would try DIMM1 and DIMM2 also though, to see if that forces it into
single channel.

Check/change the AGP aperture size in BIOS. Also, try AGP fastwrites
on/off.

And here's a beauty that's probably VERY specific to my own Leadtek 6800
and the ASUS A8V BIOS: To make my card work smoothly with AGP memory, I
have to do a soft reset when the boot procedure reaches the ASUS boot
screen. How's that for weird?
Old October 13th 05, 03:47 PM
news.east.cox.net

Did you start with a fresh Windows/App install after changing all that
hardware?

-Larry

.. .

Old October 13th 05, 05:13 PM
V \fnugen\

Yep............says so. Reread it to make sure I didn't skip that part.
Thanks though

Old October 13th 05, 08:14 PM
Goy Larsen

V \"fnugen\" wrote:

> Okay........I upgraded to an AMD64 3500+ and an MSI K8T Neo2-F mobo. I still
> have my 1024g ram and a 128m 9800pro. XP Home SP2 with DX9.0c installed.
> This "new" system is exactlty as my old one, excpet it was an AMD Sempron
> 2800+ and MSI KT4AV board. Same vid card, same ram......same OS. My HUGE
> problem here is that now GTL demo, and F1c are seriously choppy in
> comparison to my OLD setup. I reformatted and reinstalled XP Home. New
> 5.10cats......I get about 1 frame every 5 secs in GTL, and the F1c runs
> smoother than GTL, but it has chop in the spinner and it is not anywhere
> near as smooth as my old chip. I reinstalled both F1c and GTL to see if it
> made any difference, same thing. I bought the mobo and CPU so that I could
> RUN GTL..........now listen to everybody talk about it. Well, in an effort
> to upgrade for a NEW game, my old game runs worse than before. I flashed
> bios to newest, all drivers are new and updated. Any body have any ideas
> ?!?!?

I happen to have a very similar system, same CPU, VIA based Mobo but
with a faster PCI-express vid card, if you could grab PCMark2002 (small
download), 3DMark03 or 05 (I have both) or another test program if you
prefer, I'd be more than happy to do a comparison with you and we could
do some troubleshooting afterwards when we've established a performance
baseline

Using games to troubleshoot is a bit cumbersome as there's a gazillion
settings and you don't get a specific results file afterwards

Using PCMark02 my results are as follows

CPU: 7000
Memory: 9000
HD: 900

A well tuned and freshly rebooted PC with nothing running in the
background would prolly get better numbers but it's "thereabouts", at
least you shouldn't be seeing significantly lower numbers than these

Beers and cheers
(uncle) Goy

"When two or more people are gathered together in my name,
they shall perform the Parrot Sketch..."

--Our Lord John Cleese--
Old October 13th 05, 09:03 PM
Dave Henrie

"V \"fnugen\"" > wrote in news:hIv3f.5709$S43.810765
@news20.bellglobal.com:

> Yep............says so. Reread it to make sure I didn't skip that part.
> Thanks though

What is your front side bus set to? When I first put in a new mb and
64bit chip, it SUCKED. Once I found the bios setting for the 800mhz fsb
it fairly flew.

dave henrie
Old October 14th 05, 05:13 AM
Alan Le

> I get 3 short beeps on boot, I can see no error indication on the screen.
> website I came across noted possible RAM issues, but when I swapped the

ram
> out together, and individually in different slots, still 3 short beeps.
> Anybody have a clue what AMI 3 short beeps might mean as well as ram ??

Did a quick Google search. Check out these links:

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm
http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardw...utorials/13/2/

Did you check on RAM compatability before you bought it? Early boards and
AMD64s were extremely picky when it came to RAM. Even some top brands
wouldn't work in certain boards. Unless things have improved, you may have
incompatible memory, and I'm talking about the actual RAM stick (chip/board
combo), not specs.

I'd certainly try resetting CMOS, and see if you can get it to run with
e-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y conservative memory timings possibly including a purposely
slow memory bus. If it doesn't fly or craps when you start inching up to
"normal," you should probably read up on what brand and model memory people
with that board are using. Sometimes they'll even suggest particular chip
brands on the memory sticks.

Again, I built my system awhile ago, so someone slap me if I'm out of date.

Alan

Old October 14th 05, 09:33 AM
V \fnugen\

"Goy Larsen" > wrote in message
>V \"fnugen\" wrote:
>>
>> Okay........I upgraded to an AMD64 3500+ and an MSI K8T Neo2-F mobo. I
>> still
>> have my 1024g ram and a 128m 9800pro. XP Home SP2 with DX9.0c installed.
>> This "new" system is exactlty as my old one, excpet it was an AMD Sempron
>> 2800+ and MSI KT4AV board. Same vid card, same ram......same OS. My HUGE
>> problem here is that now GTL demo, and F1c are seriously choppy in
>> comparison to my OLD setup. I reformatted and reinstalled XP Home. New
>> 5.10cats......I get about 1 frame every 5 secs in GTL, and the F1c runs
>> smoother than GTL, but it has chop in the spinner and it is not anywhere
>> near as smooth as my old chip. I reinstalled both F1c and GTL to see if
>> it
>> made any difference, same thing. I bought the mobo and CPU so that I
>> could
>> RUN GTL..........now listen to everybody talk about it. Well, in an
>> effort
>> to upgrade for a NEW game, my old game runs worse than before. I flashed
>> bios to newest, all drivers are new and updated. Any body have any ideas
>> ?!?!?

> I happen to have a very similar system, same CPU, VIA based Mobo but
> with a faster PCI-express vid card, if you could grab PCMark2002 (small
> download), 3DMark03 or 05 (I have both) or another test program if you
> prefer, I'd be more than happy to do a comparison with you and we could
> do some troubleshooting afterwards when we've established a performance
> baseline
>
> Using games to troubleshoot is a bit cumbersome as there's a gazillion
> settings and you don't get a specific results file afterwards
>
> Using PCMark02 my results are as follows
>
> CPU: 7000
> Memory: 9000
> HD: 900
>
> A well tuned and freshly rebooted PC with nothing running in the
> background would prolly get better numbers but it's "thereabouts", at
> least you shouldn't be seeing significantly lower numbers than these
>

> Beers and cheers
> (uncle) Goy
>
> "When two or more people are gathered together in my name,
> they shall perform the Parrot Sketch..."
>
> --Our Lord John Cleese--

Ok, using PCmark02 my scores are as follows;

CPU: 7166
Memory: 7711 (one stick is PC2700)
HDD: 659

Funny though, when I look under system info, my AGP (set at 8x in BIOS)
shows as being set at 2 in the log in PCMark02. Here is a cut and paste of
the AGP capabilities section

Revision: 3.0
Rate: 4x, 8x (2x enabled)
Aperture Size: 256 MB
Sideband Addressing: supported (enabled)
Fast Write: not supported

Does this mean something is wrong in Whoville ?? If so, how can it be fixed?
Danke

Verne

Old October 14th 05, 03:26 PM
Harry

"V \"fnugen\"" > wrote in
:

> Funny though, when I look under system info, my AGP (set at 8x in
> BIOS) shows as being set at 2 in the log in PCMark02. Here is a cut
> and paste of the AGP capabilities section
>
> Revision: 3.0
> Rate: 4x, 8x (2x enabled)
> Aperture Size: 256 MB
> Sideband Addressing: supported (enabled)
> Fast Write: not supported
>

> Does this mean something is wrong in Whoville ?? If so, how can it be
> fixed? Danke
>
> Verne

Probably just a false report. I get the same thing in PCMark 2002,
whereas Everest Home Edition says "8x enabled". (A lot of people seem to
get a number of tools reporting AGP 2x from Windows XP OS Settings --
whatever that has to do with it -- regardless of what the GPU, mobo BIOS,
and GPU drivers report.)