Most realistic sim today?

Old October 10th 05, 07:21 PM
Peter

In article 9>,
says...
> Peter > wrote in
> :
>
> > In article >,
says...

wrote:

> >> I do
> >> You do
> >> He/she/it does
> >> We do
> >> You do
> >> They do
> >>
> >> ?
> >>

> > In other words, you have to take GTR and GT Legends as a pair and not
> > two singular items. So it would fit under the 'They do' line instead of
> > the 'it and it does' line.

> So the correct phrase would be
> "Where does {GTR,GT Legends} fit?"

No, that's even worse.

--
Pete Ives
Old October 11th 05, 12:02 AM
Chad Rogers

WRONG!! Which bugs do you feel have carried over to GTL from GTR, I'd love
to hear them. Legends uses the Gmotor2 and it has been stated that the G is
for graphics and rFactor uses the same motor/engine.

Old October 11th 05, 01:13 AM
Mika Takala

"Chad Rogers" > wrote in message
> WRONG!! Which bugs do you feel have carried over to GTL from GTR, I'd
> love to hear them. Legends uses the Gmotor2 and it has been stated that
> the G is for graphics and rFactor uses the same motor/engine.

yep, GTLegends only uses the rFactor graphics engine, every other thing
(including multiplayer&physics engine) is the same as in GTR. Calling those
as basically the same is wrong, because graphics only make a part of a game
engine... Then again, it is how the user sees/feels it that counts. If the
user only sees the graphics, thats fine to me.... but a game experince has
to do with physics and multiplayer as well.

I haven't personally played the release version of GTLegends, but judging
from what I've heard, the multiplayer is currently just as buggy as it was
in GTR (and still is, and I'll bet that there will be no more patches as
90% of the GTR/GTL dev people have now left Simbin...). I'm about to give
GTLegends a fair chance when my cousin buys it, though

--
Mika Takala

Old October 11th 05, 02:47 AM
Byron Forbes

"Mika Takala" > wrote in message

> 3 rFactor (although no racing series is simulated)

Haven't bumped into the F3 mod yet? Formula Ford? Formula 1? A little
editing and all those things are right there.

Old October 11th 05, 02:47 AM
Byron Forbes

> wrote in message
> Haven't played a lot of sim racing lately but have some time to get
> back into it.
>
> What are the most realistic sims right now? Would this be accurate?
> (1) GPL
> (2) rFactor
> (3) Live For Speed

rFactor hands down

> Where does GTR and GT Legends fit?

very snuggly in the bargainbin (Bargainbin = Simbin's new Company Name)
and very closely followed by the garbage bin

Old October 11th 05, 03:02 AM
Jeff Reid

> What are the most realistic sims right now?

In my opinion, does it really matter? Will racing game skills translate into actual driving skills? Hard to say. If the
tracks are acurate, a racing game could help. However, once in a real car and on a real track, it's going to look and
obviously feel different.

To me, what counts is if the game is enjoyable.

Grand Prix Legends seems to take the longest to learn, mostly because it has the highest power to weight ratio for
non-downforce cars, and no assist features. Some mention that setups don't affect the cars much, but do the cars handle
realistically? I've never driven a real 1967 F1 car, so I can't know, but it seems close enough for me.

F1C99-02 F1's and rFactor Formulas have a very high power to weight ratio, but once at speed (about 100mph or so), the
downforce makes these cars pretty easy to drive.

GTR went through a few releases (from the 1.0 version) to get rid of the reaction of a car almost always facing
backwards at the slighest loss of traction in the rear. The cars are still a bit squirrely when running against the
curbing at Spa's bus stop, something that doesn't seem to happen on the real cars that routinely go over the curbing
there, for example, this F1 car:

http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/spaf1.wmv

rFactor has several different cars. I've mostly done my hot lapping with the Formula at Toban, and it seems very similar
to F1C99-02. I also ran the advanced trainer series about 8 times on a 2nd persona to "earn" credits for the Formula via
career mode instead of using the ISI_BABYFACTORY code that I uses for my primary persona. The main thing I notice with
rFactor is that downshifting seems to slow a car down quicker than I expected, and it can also be used to setup a pretty
good drift in the the cars (with assists on).

I'm not a purist though, as I can enjoy Need For Speed High Stakes as much as any simulation oriented game, and NFSHS
has the most arcadish physics of any racing game I'm aware of, but it's very challenging, even more so than some
simulation oriented games (if you go beyond just beating the AI cars and actually attempt to get good lap times,
comparable to what online players can achieve).

If you look at my racing game video page:
http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/rgv.htm
You can see that I've played several arcade type games as well as the simulation type games. I find both enjoyable.

Old October 11th 05, 04:21 AM
Chad Rogers

I would argue physics about GTL and GTR with you all day compared to rFactor
which is based on what? GTL and Simbin have access to all of the "real
world" data and use it to build the physics engine. Why would Simbin use an
older physics model when they paid to use the new one? Multi with GTR I
would agree was poor, but based on the older engine it was as good as any of
the ISI games from the old version. I have heard nothing but positive
reviews about the multi and rfactor also has 16 as a recommended limit
although it can be tweaked(as can GTL).
The level of detail in the Simbin games/sims blows rFactor out of the
water(not trying to knock it, I bought it). I hold out hope for good mods,
but most of those modders won't have close to the access that simbin has
with the FIA. As for patches, I haven't heard of a great need yet, although
I see a couple of the Bliimey guys on RSC helping with tips now. Who really
knows how that will work out, I sure don't.

Chad

--
Chad Rogers
Hospital Account Manager

Old October 11th 05, 06:19 AM
Jeff Reid

After thinking about this for a while, the winner is Simpson's Hit and Run.
No other simulation does as good a job of simulating the cars it models,
but don't take my word for it, here's a video of a lap around Springfield:

http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/hnr.wmv

Old October 11th 05, 07:34 AM
ymenard

>"Jeff Reid" > wrote
> After thinking about this for a while, the winner is Simpson's Hit and
> Run.
> No other simulation does as good a job of simulating the cars it models,
> but don't take my word for it, here's a video of a lap around Springfield:

H&R was a very frustrating experience actually driving those cars, but
it was indeed very fun in every other aspect of the game. It's not
realistic at all, please don't think we will take yourself any seriously
when you write such things. It's a great gaming experience that has high
points for immersion and the sheer quirky factor of the environments. Not
for the realism of car behavior that we discuss about here. This is a SIM
newsgroup, many games that you have on your video websites aren't discussed
about here, because well we don't care about them. Newsgroups like
c.s.i.p.g.a are for that.

--
-- François Ménard <ymenard>
-- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez

GTR: Realistic Damage? How? Marc Collins Simulators 1 April 2nd 05 12:40 AM
Two visitors today! XS11E Mazda 2 March 4th 05 05:43 AM
Car Dies When Stops; Excudes Burning Smell from Exhaust; CanI drive to on road trip today? John David Galt Technology 0 January 2nd 05 11:37 PM
Please visit my brand new Xenon HID Showcase Website today... WENW Honda 0 October 11th 04 02:54 AM