GTR2

Old October 12th 05, 12:52 AM
Byron Forbes

"RodP" > wrote in message
.au...
> In article <434b19b6$0$13320$61c65585@un-2park-reader-
> 01.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au>,
> Byron Forbes says...
>
>> How would you feel if a mod for rFactor was released that had all of the
>> GTL cars, many of the tracks and drove better than GTL after you forked
>> out
>> for GTL? Or any mod for that matter. Do you really believe GTL will be as
>> good as rFactor in 6 months? Or even 2 months? I'd say GTL would be lucky
>> be as good as rFactor even now!

> Wouldn't particularly bother me. I doubt there will be any mods that are
> modelled to the detail that simbin have modelled GTL. As far as I know
> there are none currently in the pipeline so forking out for GTL is a no
> brainer for me.
>
> Cheers,
> Rod.

If you're talking about graphics detail -
http://wdt.f1gaming.de/portofolio_mclaren.html

As far as detail of tracks/physics - just sales hype bull****. Lets not
forget this was the company that was telling the world all about how good
there multi was in every magazine they could talk to - they are full of ****
and it will take a lot to convince me that they're much more than just
another arsehole company milking the sim community for every penny they can.
They would tell you anything about the detail of this and that - anything
for a sale!

Old October 12th 05, 12:53 AM
Byron Forbes

"Chad Rogers" > wrote in message
> Laughable, rFactor isn't in the same ballpark. Do a little research
> around and see what the "proper simmers" are running leagues with.

Maybe, but give rFactor a few tracks, a few mods and the end of these
GTR leagues present seasons, and GTR will be a dim memory in no time. I
think you'll find both League Directors and drivers alike will prefer the
dedicated server, Racecast and supreme multi with no bugs.

Old October 12th 05, 12:53 AM
Byron Forbes

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> "Novelty value" for real-life and/or historical tracks???
> "Soon disappears"???
> Maybe for some, Byron (including yourself), but for many of us out here,
> the "novelty value" sits with the fantasy circuits, not the genuine
> article.
>
> For one who was first grabbed by F1 back in the early sixties, I have far
> more affinity with a real circuit than I do a fictional item.
> Same goes for cars.
>
> Part of the historical simming experience is pretence and I would rather
> be in Fantasyland when attempting to control a Lotus Elise around the
> Nordschliefe than in a Zoomer Mk IV blasting down pit straight on the
> Mozarella International Autodrome.
>
> Bruce

Agreed. But I would MUCH rather be using a 1st class piece of software
that doesn't interupt whatever experience is on offer due to bugs or
programming shortcomings!

Old October 12th 05, 12:53 AM
Byron Forbes

"Steve Simpson" > wrote in message
newsp.sygzrenq2umb9s@redmist...

> For those who shun fantasy tracks, I can tell you that 20 minutes into an
> online race, I really couldn't care less whether the track exists in real
> life or not.

I think we need to modify our view here a bit more even - the tracks
that don't exist "irl" actually do exist "irl" - one's in the form of
aspalt, ect, the other in the form of pixels. Have a think about how idiotic
it is to limit yourself to real life tracks only - just nuts.

The novelty value of things based on real life stuff is undoubted. But
there must be as much if not more novelty to being able to create a track
without the limitations of the available landscape, money or safety.

Old October 12th 05, 01:13 AM
RodP

In article <434c5057$0$13321$61c65585@un-2park-reader-
01.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au>,
Byron Forbes says...

> > Wouldn't particularly bother me. I doubt there will be any mods that are
> > modelled to the detail that simbin have modelled GTL. As far as I know
> > there are none currently in the pipeline so forking out for GTL is a no
> > brainer for me.

> If you're talking about graphics detail -
> http://wdt.f1gaming.de/portofolio_mclaren.html
>
> As far as detail of tracks/physics - just sales hype bull****. Lets not
> forget this was the company that was telling the world all about how good
> there multi was in every magazine they could talk to - they are full of ****
> and it will take a lot to convince me that they're much more than just
> another arsehole company milking the sim community for every penny they can.
> They would tell you anything about the detail of this and that - anything
> for a sale!

Yet I don't play multi, so that's not much concern to me.

They're delivering a product that I feel is value for my money and
there's nothing you can say that will change that. I liked GTR, I
liked GTL's demo and when GTL is available to purchase in Aus I will
be buying it. The way people choose to spend their earned dollars
shouldn't be this much of a concern to you.

I went car shopping 6 months ago and had salesmen telling me bull****
and the product I was buying was $50,000 and not $50. It's scarier when
you know more about the product than the salesman that is trying to sell
it to you. Ultimately I made my decision based on independant resources
and my own evaluations by taking the product for a spin around the area.
Same deal with GTL.

Cheers,
Rod.
Old October 12th 05, 04:20 AM
ymenard

>"Byron Forbes" > wrote
> Maybe, but give rFactor a few tracks, a few mods and the end of these
> GTR leagues present seasons, and GTR will be a dim memory in no time. I
> think you'll find both League Directors and drivers alike will prefer the
> dedicated server, Racecast and supreme multi with no bugs.

Yeah and ISI/10tacle/Simbin slaps those guys with a Cease&Decist. It's
gonna happen with rFactor, I bet you all. They all saw what happened with
iRacing, they can protect their investment and they will do it. Just wait
and see.

--
-- François Ménard <ymenard>
-- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez

Old October 12th 05, 04:24 AM
David G Fisher

"Chad Rogers" > wrote in message
> "It just seems like a waste of money to me unless the cars in GTL hold a
> VERY special place in your heart."
>
> Is there any racing fan here that a car or two or three in GTL doesn't
> hold a special place in their heart? I would guess no, not nearly as much
> fun as a 4wd Houston or ....

Me.

Couldn't care less about old cars that don't handle well.

--
David G Fisher

Old October 12th 05, 04:59 AM
Steve Whitty

"ymenard" > wrote in message
> Yeah and ISI/10tacle/Simbin slaps those guys with a Cease&Decist. It's
> gonna happen with rFactor, I bet you all. They all saw what happened with
> iRacing, they can protect their investment and they will do it. Just wait
> and see.

why would ISI issue a c&d on a mod for its own game?

cheers

steve

Old October 12th 05, 06:33 AM
ymenard

>"Steve Whitty" > wrote
> "ymenard" > wrote in message
>> Yeah and ISI/10tacle/Simbin slaps those guys with a Cease&Decist. It's
>> gonna happen with rFactor, I bet you all. They all saw what happened
>> with iRacing, they can protect their investment and they will do it. Just
>> wait and see.

> why would ISI issue a c&d on a mod for its own game?

Simple : to protect their own assets.

Just like iRacing did on their own game (well owning the code for it, blah).
I'm absolutely sure that if somebody tries to mod something similar to GTL
or GTR (or whatever the ISI serves next) into rFactor, they will get a C&D.
That's why the whole modding scene for rFactor has to be taken with a grain
of salt. They already did it in the past.

Old October 12th 05, 07:31 AM
Chad Rogers

You are comparing what modders are making and GTL. I am comparing rFactor
and GTL. We will have to wait and see with the multi in GTL, I am hopeful
it will be much improved. I agree most of the GTR leagues will die off
soon, but I am not so sure they will go to rFactor, more likely GTL and
GTR2.