Self driving cars and moral decisions-who will live, who willdie?

Old October 29th 18, 07:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Sanity Clause[_3_]

Default Self driving cars and moral decisions-who will live, who willdie?

www.blacklistednews.com

> My car should protect ME. It should hit whichever target is less likely
> to injure the occupant. Anything else reflects personal or cultural
> bias and is inappropriate.

So, with 3 "target" choices,
1 - Hard, immovable object. Your car absorbs full impact.
2 - Moderately crushable object. 50/50 split.
3 - Soft, deformable object. Target absorbs full impact.

You would choose to run down the group of Nuns escorting children in a
school crosswalk. Thank you for being such a wonderful Human Being.
Where do you live? I need to remember not to go there.

Old October 29th 18, 08:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 10/29/2018 11:43 AM, Sanity Clause wrote:
> The Real Bev wrote:
>> On 10/27/2018 01:51 PM, wrote:

www.blacklistednews.com

>> My car should protect ME. It should hit whichever target is less likely
>> to injure the occupant. Anything else reflects personal or cultural
>> bias and is inappropriate.

> So, with 3 "target" choices,
> 1 - Hard, immovable object. Your car absorbs full impact.
> 2 - Moderately crushable object. 50/50 split.
> 3 - Soft, deformable object. Target absorbs full impact.
>
> You would choose to run down the group of Nuns escorting children in a
> school crosswalk. Thank you for being such a wonderful Human Being.
> Where do you live? I need to remember not to go there.

<sigh> The question is moot since I will never involve myself with a
self-driving car.

Trusting a machine to make hard moral decisions is stupid. Suppose
there were TWO groups of nuns and children? What about a group of Girl
Scouts? What if they were Boy Scouts? What if they were prisoners
being escorted to the courthouse for arraignment?

Assuming the nuns were actually competent to protect children, they
would NOT step out into the crosswalk until they saw no cars unlikely to
be able to stop in time. Physics is a real bitch sometimes, and god
doesn't suspend her laws just because someone goes to church a lot.

--
Cheers, Bev
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,
Old October 29th 18, 08:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
nospam[_4_]

In article >, The Real Bev
> wrote:

> <sigh> The question is moot since I will never involve myself with a
> self-driving car.

you won't have a choice once they become widespread. they're already on
the road in some cities.
Old October 29th 18, 10:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 10/29/2018 12:55 PM, nospam wrote:
> In article >, The Real Bev
> > wrote:
>
>> <sigh> The question is moot since I will never involve myself with a
>> self-driving car.

> you won't have a choice once they become widespread. they're already on
> the road in some cities.

My Corolla will last forever. Unless gasoline engines and human drivers
are outlawed I'll never have to be the occupant of a self-driving car.

--
Cheers, Bev
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock
Old October 29th 18, 10:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
nospam[_4_]

In article >, The Real Bev
> wrote:

> >> <sigh> The question is moot since I will never involve myself with a
> >> self-driving car.

> > you won't have a choice once they become widespread. they're already on
> > the road in some cities.

> My Corolla will last forever.

no it won't. nothing lasts forever.

> Unless gasoline engines and human drivers
> are outlawed I'll never have to be the occupant of a self-driving car.

that's very foolish. autonomous vehicles will be much safer than ones
driven by humans, which sadly, is not particularly difficult.

drunk driving, texting, driver inattention, fatigue, etc., will all be
a thing of the past.

and if you call a taxi, uber, lyft, airport shuttle, etc., there's an
ever increasing chance that what arrives will be autonomous. uber is
already testing that.
Old October 30th 18, 12:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Roger Blake[_2_]

On 2018-10-29, nospam > wrote:
> no it won't. nothing lasts forever.

Not forever, but damned long is certainly possible. I've been driving
the same car for over 40 years.

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Don't talk to cops! -- http://www.DontTalkToCops.com
Badges don't grant extra rights -- http://www.CopBlock.org
Old October 30th 18, 12:07 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
nospam[_4_]

In article >, Roger Blake
> wrote:

> > no it won't. nothing lasts forever.

> Not forever, but damned long is certainly possible. I've been driving
> the same car for over 40 years.

that's the very rare exception, not the rule, and you know it.
Old October 30th 18, 12:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Roger Blake > wrote:
>On 2018-10-29, nospam > wrote:
>> no it won't. nothing lasts forever.

>Not forever, but damned long is certainly possible. I've been driving
>the same car for over 40 years.

That's not so easy with a Toyota. I had a '78 Corolla SR5 and wound up
junking it when I could no longer get even routine parts for it.

On the other hand, any parts you need for a Model A you can get off the
shelf with a short lead time.

It's a weird world that we live in.
--scott

Old October 30th 18, 03:36 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Roger Blake[_2_]

On 2018-10-29, nospam > wrote:
> that's the very rare exception, not the rule, and you know it.

At the moment the average car in the U.S. is over a decade old.
That means that many are older.

Anyone can make a car last for decades if they have a mind to. It
helps to start with a vehicle that is durable to begin with.

Old October 30th 18, 03:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Roger Blake[_2_]

On 2018-10-29, Scott Dorsey > wrote:
> That's not so easy with a Toyota. I had a '78 Corolla SR5 and wound up
> junking it when I could no longer get even routine parts for it.

I can see where older foreign cars might be a problem to get parts for.
It's common to still find parts on the shelf for decades-old U.S. iron.
Heck, I know people daily-driving cars older than mine.