Why all the cracked heads, oil burning,etc. here?

Old March 18th 05, 08:31 AM

Default Why all the cracked heads, oil burning,etc. here?

When I go to rec.auto.makers.honda- I don't see all these kinds of
horror stories.

What gives?

Old March 18th 05, 01:35 PM
Perfect Reign

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:31:19 -0800, misterfact donned fireproof underwear
and scratched on the wall:

> When I go to rec.auto.makers.honda- I don't see all these kinds of
> horror stories.

It is very simple.

Honda owners - typically teh younger ones - don't actually DRIVE their
cars.

They simply place big "powered by" stickers all over and add on spoilers
and oversize gauges.

--
kai - www.perfectreign.com

kai@yoda:~> format a:
Error: The DOS concept of formatting disk media is screwed.

Old March 18th 05, 02:33 PM
marx404

WHY are you still here MR FAG?

Old March 18th 05, 08:48 PM
blah blah

In article >, says...
> WHY are you still here MR FAG?

This bs from a guy who burns how much oil in his "jap car"? He seems to
forget his post get archived.
Old March 19th 05, 05:59 AM
Perfect Reign

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 08:33:34 -0500, marx404 donned fireproof underwear and
scratched on the wall:

> WHY are you still here MR FAG?

To annoy Windows users like you.

Old March 21st 05, 03:31 AM
Philip Nasadowski

Heh, you think Honda, toyota et all are so great, go ask about Toyota
motor sludging. IIRC, Toyota STILL won't fess up to it. It's a known
problem with a number of their engines. It's nasty and serious. It's
an inherint design issue. They still are playing the blame game with
customers...

Or, Honda's POS 5 speed automatics - 2 recalls and counting for our
family. Come on, it's 2005, an automatic should behave right and last
100,000+ miles, no problem. But, at less than 50k, the one in my dad's
Honda is starting to make bad noises. Dealer says its 'normal', of
course. This even after recall #1 on it. Apparently, Honda can't
design a lubrication system for a geartrain that's swimming in tranny
fluid.

Oh, and is it too much to ask that a transmission use Dexron, as opposed
to some $5 a quart special fluid?

Oh yeah - replacing that timing belt has a fun surprise - $150 water
pump that gets replaced with it. $150 for a ****ing water pump - I
thought Saturn bent you over.

At least ours hasn't snapped yet. Or prematurely, which Hondas do. Nor
has the pulley snapped off the camshaft like it did on a friend's
Civic...

Oh, and oil burning? 240,000 miles, mine still doesn't burn much
between changes. So little I don't even bother checking the oil (yeah I
know, bad habit, but this car's gonna be gone by 300k anyway).

What I wanna know is how you guys all manage to burn so much oil between
changes
Old March 21st 05, 04:47 AM
blah blah

In article >,
says...
> Heh, you think Honda, toyota et all are so great, go ask about Toyota
> motor sludging. IIRC, Toyota STILL won't fess up to it. It's a known
> problem with a number of their engines. It's nasty and serious. It's
> an inherint design issue. They still are playing the blame game with
> customers...
>
> Or, Honda's POS 5 speed automatics - 2 recalls and counting for our
> family. Come on, it's 2005, an automatic should behave right and last
> 100,000+ miles, no problem. But, at less than 50k, the one in my dad's
> Honda is starting to make bad noises. Dealer says its 'normal', of
> course. This even after recall #1 on it. Apparently, Honda can't
> design a lubrication system for a geartrain that's swimming in tranny
> fluid.
>
> Oh, and is it too much to ask that a transmission use Dexron, as opposed
> to some $5 a quart special fluid?
>
> Oh yeah - replacing that timing belt has a fun surprise - $150 water
> pump that gets replaced with it. $150 for a ****ing water pump - I
> thought Saturn bent you over.
>
> At least ours hasn't snapped yet. Or prematurely, which Hondas do. Nor
> has the pulley snapped off the camshaft like it did on a friend's
> Civic...
>
> Oh, and oil burning? 240,000 miles, mine still doesn't burn much
> between changes. So little I don't even bother checking the oil (yeah I
> know, bad habit, but this car's gonna be gone by 300k anyway).
>
> What I wanna know is how you guys all manage to burn so much oil between
> changes

Mister fags a crack head. I remember a post by him about how his honda
or toyota or whatever was burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles. Of
course he's not in the honda group ****ing and moaning about that when
its that special time of the month. Talk about a f***ing hypocrite. This
morons missing one to many brain cells.
Old March 23rd 05, 05:01 AM
Bill

I wish I would have gotten this many responses when I had a real
problem to talk about!

PS: Take that as a joke, not an insult.

Old March 23rd 05, 06:28 AM

blah blah wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
> > Heh, you think Honda, toyota et all are so great, go ask about

Toyota
> > motor sludging. IIRC, Toyota STILL won't fess up to it. It's a

known
> > problem with a number of their engines. It's nasty and serious.

It's
> > an inherint design issue. They still are playing the blame game

with
> > customers...
> >
> > Or, Honda's POS 5 speed automatics - 2 recalls and counting for our

> > family. Come on, it's 2005, an automatic should behave right and

last
> > 100,000+ miles, no problem. But, at less than 50k, the one in my

dad's
> > Honda is starting to make bad noises. Dealer says its 'normal', of

> > course. This even after recall #1 on it. Apparently, Honda can't
> > design a lubrication system for a geartrain that's swimming in

tranny
> > fluid.
> >
> > Oh, and is it too much to ask that a transmission use Dexron, as

opposed
> > to some $5 a quart special fluid?
> >
> > Oh yeah - replacing that timing belt has a fun surprise - $150

water
> > pump that gets replaced with it. $150 for a ****ing water pump - I

> > thought Saturn bent you over.
> >
> > At least ours hasn't snapped yet. Or prematurely, which Hondas do.

Nor
> > has the pulley snapped off the camshaft like it did on a friend's
> > Civic...
> >
> > Oh, and oil burning? 240,000 miles, mine still doesn't burn much
> > between changes. So little I don't even bother checking the oil

(yeah I
> > know, bad habit, but this car's gonna be gone by 300k anyway).
> >
> > What I wanna know is how you guys all manage to burn so much oil

between
> > changes
> >

> Mister fags a crack head. I remember a post by him about how his

honda
> or toyota or whatever was burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles. Of

> course he's not in the honda group ****ing and moaning about that

when
> its that special time of the month. Talk about a f***ing hypocrite.

This
> morons missing one to many brain cells.

I'll just answer you f***ing crap with what other Saturn owners have
to say!

Patricia of Bath ME (9/15/03):
Cylinder head cracked, Saturn is aware there is a problem but their
position is, if it didn't happen in 6 years or 100,000 miles (whichever
came first) I'm out of luck. Of course the local dealer will fix it for
$1,800. I own a 1994 Saturn SW1 with 94,502 miles. The service
bullentin came out in 1999. I believe that they knew it to be a defect
in the parts they used and it should be fixed no matter what the age of
the car.

Of couse they would like the public to think that after their timeframe
the car will never have the problem or by magic it will repair itself.
If the only humans worked this way after 6 years all birth defects
would just disappear. What a wonderful world it would be. All I have to
say is -- dream on, Saturn. I can't wait to get the car fixed and trade
it in for another car.

Damage Resulting: Loss of my sanity, cost - priceless new engine
$1,800, junk yard version $100, but it will take me a week or so to get
the two engines out, never mind the time to figure out how to get it
all back together and still have the car run. I have a full-time job
and I'm the mother of an eleven-year-old, not much free time here to
spare. I just knew I should have taken a shop class in high school, but
at 50 I'm not to old to learn. I build Navy DDG's at Bath Iron Works --
fixing a car should not be as complicated LOL.

It can be done, all right, but Patricia should buy a junker to drive
around in while she has the Saturn spread out all over the garage.

Tim of Hoover, AL (12/17/01):
I own a '95 Saturn SL-1 which I bought new. In January 1999 (only
months after the 3-year warranty expired), the cylinder head cracked. I
took the car in to get it fixed. The sales rep who sold me the car told
me that offically Saturn wouldn't admit fault, but if I made calls, I
might get assistance with the repairs. I worked my way up the chain of
command at Saturn and eventually they offered to pay for labor if I
paid for parts.

Later, when the company bulletin came out explaining a flaw in the mold
of the cylinder head (which caused several to crack), they refunded me
the remainder of the service bill. I was happy with this.

However, in December 2001 the cylinder head cracked again. After
calling customer service, I found that the original crack occurred at
52,700 miles. This new crack occured at 105,000 miles. This is almost
exactly the same number of miles it took to crack the first head. When
I took my car to Saturn, they noticed immediatly what was wrong with
the car and called their area rep for a solution. They called me a day
later offering to pay parts if I pay labor.

To me, this was the same problem as before and I felt that Saturn
should again be responsible for placing faulty parts in my car. They
didn't see it that way stating that the bulletin authorizing
replacement of the cylinder head was only good for one replacement.
They also made it clear that they were under no obligation to offer the
deal they were currently offering.

Saturn stated that "nobody can predict the future". I explained to them
that I could given that the pattern of the two heads cracking places
the odds of another head crack happening at 150,000 miles VERY likely.
Saturn ended our talks by stating that there is nothing more that can
be done and that (paraphrasing) I should be happy that I am getting any
assistance at all. They make cars whose heads crack twice in 6 years,
and I should be happy? I don't think so.

Jason of Ft. Mitchell KY (9/12/03):
I bought a 95 Saturn SC1 with 100,000 miles and also purchased a
one-year powertrain warranty to accompany it. After a few weeks of
driving, I noticed oil consumption at the rate of about a quart every
400 miles. I took the car to the dealership, explained the situation,
and showed them the warranty. After a period of monitoring the
situation, I convinced the dealership to replace the motor.

The new motor had 75,000 miles on it. It only took a week to notice the
oil consumption - about a quart every 800 miles. Once again, I took the
car to the dealership and flashed them the warranty. After another
period of monitoring, they replaced the motor. This time the motor had
only 50,000 miles on it and the oil consumption was minimal. However,
that same motor is now up to about 75,000 miles and is using a quart
every 500 miles. This is absurd! What is wrong with Saturn's motors?

Steve of Richmond VA (8/8/03):
My Saturn started burning oil at 72,000 miles. I had extended warranty
to 75,000 miles. I noted this on the service ticket at 72,000 miles.
The service dept. at Saturn did not offer to do an oil consumption test
until the car got to 77,000 miles. Saturn Corp. will not cover the
problem under the warranty even though the problem started while the
car was still under warranty. I belive that: 1) The Saturn Warranty is
not worth the paper it is printed on 2) Saturn does not want to stand
behind their product.

To rebuild the engine will cost about $1800.00 - but I have yet to find
someone willing to do that type of work to the engine; a new engine
will range in price from about $2600.00 - $3200.00 (labor included)

Raquel of McKeesport PA (6/30/03):
I purchased a 2000 Saturn LS1 in December 20001, used with 26,000 miles
on it. When it got to 36,000 miles my engine failed. They claim an oil
filter caused my engine damage. I had oil changes every 3 months but
since it was not done at the Saturn dealer Saturn did not help with
replacing my engine. The mechanic at the dealership stated that the
timing chain slipped and cracked the cylinder head. Well, they gave me
and estimate of $3,000 and that was no guaranteed fix. I spoke to
Saturn headquarters and I was treated very rudely because I had bought
the car used.

Carole of Waveland MS (5/6/03):
Engine Oil in coolant reservoir. Diagnosis: Crack in engine head. June
1999 letter from Saturn had notified me that this could happen to my
engine, and told of "...Special Policy for cylinder head coverage for a
period of six years from the date the vehicle was originally placed in
service, or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first." (My car exceeded
the year requirement but only had 90,087 miles.) Company bulletin 99P01
explained a flaw in the cylinder head mold. No matter the years or
miles, I don't think I should have to come up with big bucks to fix my
car because their cylinder head mold was flawed.

Saturn Customer Service in Tennessee offered $400.00 off the charge for
fixing my engine. I told them that I thought the charge of $2700 was
exorbitant and the $400 offer was an insult. Saturn of Slidell estimate
to replace head and related parts is $2,748.19, covered for 12 mos or
12,000 miles. Estimate to replace with a rebuilt engine is $3,231.38,
covered for 3 yrs or 36,000 miles. June 1999 ltr also states that time
needed to replace a cylinder head is ten hours.

In 1995 I was working when I bought my Saturn. I retired in 1998 on
early, unexpected, disability retirement. I am 60 years old, single,
and my income is poverty level. It would be a tremendous hardship for
me to cover this cost.

Regina of Blackburn MO (12/4/01):
I bought a 1999 Saturn in April of 1999. On 9-9-00, I complained that
it was burning oil. They did an oil consumption test and said it was
only 1/2 quart every 1,300 miles and that, "Saturns burned a little
oil." On 11-01-00, I returned with the same complaint. Another test was
done and this time it burnt 1 quart, "still within normal
expectations".

On 1-27-01, I took it to Wal-Mart for an oil change and they told me it
was 1 quart low and that it should NOT be burning any oil. Again I
spoke to Saturn who said it was normal. On 2-24-01, Wal-Mart changed my
oil and had me sign a disclaimer to change it as it was again 1 quart
low. On 3-24-01, I had to sign the disclaimer again for the oil change.
Wal-Mart suggested I push Saturn a little harder to make the car right.
I spoke to Saturn but was told nothing was wrong with the car.

On 5-4-01, I took the car to Saturn complaining that it now burnt 2-3
quarts every 3,000 miles. They continued to say it was normal but
replaced a PCV hose. (This made NO difference in the amount of oil it
was burning.) On 5-7-01, I contacted Ryan Laughlin of the Saturn plant
in Tennessee. He said, "Saturns burn a little oil." I am paying an
exorbitant payment for this vehicle and simply want it fixed. It is now
out of warranty, knocks, gets poor gas mileage, has no power, and I
cannot afford to trade it. Obviously, I keep up on the maintenence of
this vehicle so they cannot possibly say it is my neglect or
mistreatment.

I am stuck with a car thar will soon blow a rod or crack a block and
its value is 1/3 of what I owe. I can not rely on it to provide
transportation, and I am so SICK of Saturn blowing me off as if I knew
nothing about automobiles! I love the car. I JUST WANT THEM TO STAND
BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT AND FIX IT AT THEIR EXPENSE, NOT MINE.

Andrea of Poughkeepsie NY (11/6/01):
I bought my mom's Saturn from her in 1999. It is a 1995 Saturn SL 4
door model. It started to "lose" oil about 2 weeks after I bought it.
Possibly it happened before that but my mom did not notice it. I
brought it into the Saturn dealership multiple times without success.
Finally, the last time it was in they informed me that they believed it
was bad "o" rings in my engine and the repairs would exceed $2000. I
have 3 people now that I know of with the same year/type car and the
EXACT same problem.

Last week I was in a car accident with my Saturn. It was a front impact
accident that totalled the car and yet my air bags never deployed. I
hit my head, although I had my seat belt on and thankfully was ok, no
thanks to my faulty airbags.

I'll be posting more recent Saturn horror stories.

Old March 26th 05, 06:27 PM
David Teichholtz

> wrote in message

<many tales of woe snipped>

A couple of things:

1. I have been reading news groups since circa 1990 and I have never seen so
many narratives of woe with such similar details. The writing style is also
similar in most of them. I'm curious as to how these narratives were
collected. I know that people don't send me such stories out of the blue.

2. Why do you hate Saturns so much? Were you and/or a relative affected by
a Saturn failure?

3. What is your purpose of posting with these stories? Trying to hurt
Saturn sales? Don't bother,
Saturn has done that all by themselves by dropping the SL series and
introducing the Ion.

4. I have a 95 SW1. Bought it with 135K miles, now has 185K miles on it.
Most dependable car I have ever owned. I don't think I have put $200 into it
other than oil changes and adding oil. My only complaint is really the oil
consumption.

Hmmm, well I guess that is more than a couple of things, but ya know what
they say: There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count,
and those who can't.