Help with accelleration

Old February 24th 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
williemcd[_2_]

Default Help with accelleration

I'm a yutz when it comes to automotive repair so please bare with me.
95 MX with 95K. It's had pretty good maint during it's life. Turns
over with less than one rev of the engine. However, after driving 4-5
miles, it spits and sputters. Keeping the peddle to the floor, it
eventually catches for a bit and then back to spitting etc. Plugs,
air, fuel are perfect. A neighbor backyard mech. suggested TPS?
Throttle Positioning Sensor? Does this make sense to the experienced
owners? Any other areas to look into?
Thanks in advance. Bill McDonald
Old February 25th 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
John McGaw

williemcd wrote:
> I'm a yutz when it comes to automotive repair so please bare with me.
> 95 MX with 95K. It's had pretty good maint during it's life. Turns
> over with less than one rev of the engine. However, after driving 4-5
> miles, it spits and sputters. Keeping the peddle to the floor, it
> eventually catches for a bit and then back to spitting etc. Plugs,
> air, fuel are perfect. A neighbor backyard mech. suggested TPS?
> Throttle Positioning Sensor? Does this make sense to the experienced
> owners? Any other areas to look into?
> Thanks in advance. Bill McDonald

Easiest thing first: has the fuel filter been replaced? After that the
throttle position sensor seems like a good thing to check. Mine went
wonky on my '91 and caused some drivability problems although they
weren't as bad as what you describe.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old February 25th 08, 01:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

John McGaw > wrote:

> williemcd wrote:
>> I'm a yutz when it comes to automotive repair so please bare with
>> me. 95 MX with 95K. It's had pretty good maint during it's life.
>> Turns over with less than one rev of the engine. However, after
>> driving 4-5 miles, it spits and sputters. Keeping the peddle to
>> the floor, it eventually catches for a bit and then back to
>> spitting etc. Plugs, air, fuel are perfect. A neighbor backyard
>> mech. suggested TPS? Throttle Positioning Sensor? Does this make
>> sense to the experienced owners? Any other areas to look into?
>> Thanks in advance. Bill McDonald

> Easiest thing first: has the fuel filter been replaced? After that
> the throttle position sensor seems like a good thing to check.
> Mine went wonky on my '91 and caused some drivability problems
> although they weren't as bad as what you describe.

The OP should check the gas cap vent, if air can't enter the system
it'll start starving for fuel after a few miles....

Just take the cap off and drive, he'll get a check engine light but
ignore it.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
Old February 25th 08, 04:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

If you don't find fuel issues, I'm thinking that it's plug wires. OP
mentions good plugs but no mention of replacing wires. Miata plug wires are
notorious for their short life. OEM's at 95k (and 12 yrs) ought to be pretty
much shot.

Let us know,
Chris
99BBB

. 236...

Old February 25th 08, 02:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
r0lliSl1fe

On Feb 24, 2:18 pm, williemcd > wrote:
> I'm a yutz when it comes to automotive repair so please bare with me.
> 95 MX with 95K. It's had pretty good maint during it's life. Turns
> over with less than one rev of the engine. However, after driving 4-5
> miles, it spits and sputters. Keeping the peddle to the floor, it
> eventually catches for a bit and then back to spitting etc. Plugs,
> air, fuel are perfect. A neighbor backyard mech. suggested TPS?
> Throttle Positioning Sensor? Does this make sense to the experienced
> owners? Any other areas to look into?
> Thanks in advance. Bill McDonald

All the above are good, but I'd had a similar issue and it turned out
that the battery cable was frayed in the trunk. It actually wasn't
frayed at the battery, it was frayed where the cable was bolted to the
interior of the trunk, presumably to take off tension? Didn't work
too well, but a new battery cable is no more expensive a repair than
any of the above, and its really easy to tell. Give it a quick look-
over.

-r0ll
Old February 25th 08, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
williemcd[_2_]

On Feb 25, 8:48*am, r0lliSl1fe > wrote:
> On Feb 24, 2:18 pm, williemcd > wrote:
>
> > I'm a yutz when it comes to automotive repair so please bare with me.
> > 95 MX with 95K. *It's had pretty good maint during it's life. *Turns
> > over with less than one rev of the engine. *However, after driving 4-5
> > miles, it spits and sputters. *Keeping the peddle to the floor, it
> > eventually catches for a bit and then back to spitting etc. *Plugs,
> > air, fuel are perfect. *A neighbor backyard mech. suggested TPS?
> > Throttle Positioning Sensor? *Does this make sense to the experienced
> > owners? *Any other areas to look into?
> > Thanks in advance. *Bill McDonald

> All the above are good, but I'd had a similar issue and it turned out
> that the battery cable was frayed in the trunk. *It actually wasn't
> frayed at the battery, it was frayed where the cable was bolted to the
> interior of the trunk, presumably to take off tension? *Didn't work
> too well, but a new battery cable is no more expensive a repair than
> any of the above, and its really easy to tell. * Give it a quick look-
> over.
>
> -r0ll

Tks for the responses! 1st off I'll try the gas cap. It is stored
outside and within a heavily wooded area. The wires were replaced
about 35K ago. The battery cables check out looking good. Guess if
none of the above fix,on to the TPS. Once again, tks for all of the
suggestions.
Bill in Va.
Old February 26th 08, 04:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

no, the fuel filter was suggested next before the tps.
also, even oem or nkg wires are supposed to be replaced every 30k.
let us know how it works out. good luck.

Old March 2nd 08, 06:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
williemcd[_2_]

Well, the OP stated I was a yutz regarding automotive repair. Where
the heck is the fuel filter? Nothing under the hood looks like a
suspect! Bill McDonald
Old March 2nd 08, 08:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article

http://www.miata.net/garage/FuelFilterChange/index.html

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old March 3rd 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

oem parts can be had for good prices from www.finishlineperformance.com.
the fuel filter is supposed to be replaced every 30k, but they typically
last way longer.
it is a large filter so it is more forgiving than many other cars.
i did mine at 105k, shortly after i got the car and suspect it had never
been done before.
this filter is not particularly hard to reply but it is awkward and messy to
do on your back.
oem filters, including fuel, air, and oil, are much higher quality than the
stuff sold at autozone and the like and the prices at finishline are
actually cheaper than those inferior products.