72 Mach1 intermittent starting

Old August 1st 07, 10:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
neildomo

Default 72 Mach1 intermittent starting

I have a '72 Mach1 that had a rough life before I got it. Somewhere
along the way it got a mid-80s 302 put in it, and the wiring's been
cut and spliced over and over. When I got the car it started reliably,
although if the battery was left attached it would get drained to
nothing before the week was out. I'm working around that
(disconnecting when not in use), but lately the car has been just not
starting. What seems to be happening is, on the weekend I'll hook up
the battery and notice the dome light goes on when i open the door.
Turn the key; it turns over and starts up. I drive it for about 10-15
minutes, then come back home and shut it off. I try to turn the key
again and nothing. No starter motor, not even a 'click' sound from the
starter solenoid on the wheel well. Open the door and the dome light
comes on as it should. Turn on the headlights and they light and don't
visibly dim after 30 seconds. Last weekend I tried checking all the
connections between the starter, starter solenoid, alternator, and
ignition on the column. Thought I had it licked when it started, but
same thing happened again. I've already replaced the alternator and
starter solenoid. What to do now? I'm hoping I can put off rewiring
the whole car until I decide what I'm going to do about the engine,
but I'd like to at least have it running reliably until then. Any
ideas?

Thanks,
Neil

Old August 1st 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Les Benn[_2_]

"neildomo" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a '72 Mach1 that had a rough life before I got it. Somewhere
> along the way it got a mid-80s 302 put in it, and the wiring's been
> cut and spliced over and over. When I got the car it started reliably,
> although if the battery was left attached it would get drained to
> nothing before the week was out. I'm working around that
> (disconnecting when not in use), but lately the car has been just not
> starting. What seems to be happening is, on the weekend I'll hook up
> the battery and notice the dome light goes on when i open the door.
> Turn the key; it turns over and starts up. I drive it for about 10-15
> minutes, then come back home and shut it off. I try to turn the key
> again and nothing. No starter motor, not even a 'click' sound from the
> starter solenoid on the wheel well. Open the door and the dome light
> comes on as it should. Turn on the headlights and they light and don't
> visibly dim after 30 seconds. Last weekend I tried checking all the
> connections between the starter, starter solenoid, alternator, and
> ignition on the column. Thought I had it licked when it started, but
> same thing happened again. I've already replaced the alternator and
> starter solenoid. What to do now? I'm hoping I can put off rewiring
> the whole car until I decide what I'm going to do about the engine,
> but I'd like to at least have it running reliably until then. Any
> ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Neil

There are two things that kill a battery the starter and the horn. I assume
you did a current draw on both? If not take the starter down to an auto
parts store and have a current draw test done on it.
for the horn a simple thing to do is disconnect it and see if the battery is
still discharging.

Old August 2nd 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dear Leader

"neildomo" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a '72 Mach1 that had a rough life before I got it. Somewhere
> along the way it got a mid-80s 302 put in it, and the wiring's been
> cut and spliced over and over. When I got the car it started reliably,
> although if the battery was left attached it would get drained to
> nothing before the week was out. I'm working around that
> (disconnecting when not in use), but lately the car has been just not
> starting. What seems to be happening is, on the weekend I'll hook up
> the battery and notice the dome light goes on when i open the door.
> Turn the key; it turns over and starts up. I drive it for about 10-15
> minutes, then come back home and shut it off. I try to turn the key
> again and nothing. No starter motor, not even a 'click' sound from the
> starter solenoid on the wheel well. Open the door and the dome light
> comes on as it should. Turn on the headlights and they light and don't
> visibly dim after 30 seconds. Last weekend I tried checking all the
> connections between the starter, starter solenoid, alternator, and
> ignition on the column. Thought I had it licked when it started, but
> same thing happened again. I've already replaced the alternator and
> starter solenoid. What to do now? I'm hoping I can put off rewiring
> the whole car until I decide what I'm going to do about the engine,
> but I'd like to at least have it running reliably until then. Any
> ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Neil

I had similar problem,

could be the starter solenoid, itself, I found one (a brand new one) the
internal ground wire was not even connected, just lying on the chassis
ground, piece of **** china junk. Replaced it, now OK, but could be same
china pos.

try testing the solenoid by itself, disconnect heavy battery lead, by
applying 12 to the terminal, should be loud click, mine was intermittent,
replaced it again now ok.

Old August 3rd 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
walt peifer

"Dear Leader" > wrote in message
reenews.net...

> "neildomo" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>I have a '72 Mach1 that had a rough life before I got it. Somewhere
>> along the way it got a mid-80s 302 put in it, and the wiring's been
>> cut and spliced over and over. When I got the car it started reliably,
>> although if the battery was left attached it would get drained to
>> nothing before the week was out. I'm working around that
>> (disconnecting when not in use), but lately the car has been just not
>> starting. What seems to be happening is, on the weekend I'll hook up
>> the battery and notice the dome light goes on when i open the door.
>> Turn the key; it turns over and starts up. I drive it for about 10-15
>> minutes, then come back home and shut it off. I try to turn the key
>> again and nothing. No starter motor, not even a 'click' sound from the
>> starter solenoid on the wheel well. Open the door and the dome light
>> comes on as it should. Turn on the headlights and they light and don't
>> visibly dim after 30 seconds. Last weekend I tried checking all the
>> connections between the starter, starter solenoid, alternator, and
>> ignition on the column. Thought I had it licked when it started, but
>> same thing happened again. I've already replaced the alternator and
>> starter solenoid. What to do now? I'm hoping I can put off rewiring
>> the whole car until I decide what I'm going to do about the engine,
>> but I'd like to at least have it running reliably until then. Any
>> ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Neil

> I had similar problem,
>
> could be the starter solenoid, itself, I found one (a brand new one) the
> internal ground wire was not even connected, just lying on the chassis
> ground, piece of **** china junk. Replaced it, now OK, but could be same
> china pos.
>
> try testing the solenoid by itself, disconnect heavy battery lead, by
> applying 12 to the terminal, should be loud click, mine was intermittent,
> replaced it again now ok.

You list the car as a mach 1.Starter not even working no click nothing? Some
mach's mostly big blocks though had a starter overheat module just below the
solenoid. this was to stop from melting the battery cables under the high
load of the big block starter.

Other than that like everyone else I'd say starter solenoid has a heat
problem and needs to be replaced.

Old September 12th 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Kwiksilver

> GUEST wrote:
> I have a '72 Mach1 that had a rough life before I got it. Somewhere
> along the way it got a mid-80s 302 put in it, and the wiring's been
> cut and spliced over and over. When I got the car it started

reliably,
> although if the battery was left attached it would get drained to
> nothing before the week was out. I'm working around that
> (disconnecting when not in use), but lately the car has been just

not
> starting. What seems to be happening is, on the weekend I'll hook

up
> the battery and notice the dome light goes on when i open the door.
> Turn the key; it turns over and starts up. I drive it for about

10-15
> minutes, then come back home and shut it off. I try to turn the key
> again and nothing. No starter motor, not even a 'click' sound from

the
> starter solenoid on the wheel well. Open the door and the dome

light
> comes on as it should. Turn on the headlights and they light and

don't
> visibly dim after 30 seconds. Last weekend I tried checking all the
> connections between the starter, starter solenoid, alternator, and
> ignition on the column. Thought I had it licked when it started,

but
> same thing happened again. I've already replaced the alternator and
> starter solenoid. What to do now? I'm hoping I can put off rewiring
> the whole car until I decide what I'm going to do about the engine,
> but I'd like to at least have it running reliably until then. Any
> ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Neil

I've had Ford small blocks in classic Mustangs for
30 years. They are pretty simple configurations compared to the newer
motors.

From what you have described, the problem obviously is in the wiring
or an item in the wiring. The fact that the wiring has been patched
is a sure red flag and likely where the problem is. The battery
running down if you leave the battery attached is pretty unusual.
Short of leaving lights (or a horn button short) on I can't think of
what would cause that other than a short in that wiring. I would
replace the harness to eliminate that as a potential cause.

Another thing you should check just to eliminate this is the ground on
the block. Take it off and sand the rust off the end and the block. If
there is not a good ground, it won't turn over. And if you haven't
cleaned this if could be giving you some intermittant problems. This
is a pretty easy thing to "fix". It might be rusty enough
and/or loose to be causing issues. This would not run your battery
down though.