93 Accord Burns apx 2 litres of oil every 5000km

Old February 28th 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Metzeller

Default 93 Accord Burns apx 2 litres of oil every 5000km

Spoke to my buddy yesterday and he mentioned that hi 93 accord lost
about 2litres of oil per 5000km.. That really doesn't sound to
normal to me. Oil pan seems clean, Gaskets don't seem to be leaking
and no black smoke from the exhaust.. Any tips on what could be the
reason for this car eating up so much oil?

Thx..

Old February 28th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

Metzeller wrote:
> Spoke to my buddy yesterday and he mentioned that hi 93 accord lost
> about 2litres of oil per 5000km.. That really doesn't sound to
> normal to me. Oil pan seems clean, Gaskets don't seem to be leaking
> and no black smoke from the exhaust.. Any tips on what could be the
> reason for this car eating up so much oil?
>
> Thx..

Without knowing his mileage or what oil he's using, I'd still suggest he
should check / replace his PCV. If it's stuck open the oil vapor will
'disapear' all by itself.

'Curly'
Old February 28th 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Metzeller

On Feb 28, 12:13 pm, motsco_ > wrote:
> Metzeller wrote:
> > Spoke to my buddy yesterday and he mentioned that hi 93 accord lost
> > about 2litres of oil per 5000km.. That really doesn't sound to
> > normal to me. Oil pan seems clean, Gaskets don't seem to be leaking
> > and no black smoke from the exhaust.. Any tips on what could be the
> > reason for this car eating up so much oil?

> > Thx..

> Without knowing his mileage or what oil he's using, I'd still suggest he
> should check / replace his PCV. If it's stuck open the oil vapor will
> 'disapear' all by itself.
>
> 'Curly'

Sorry About that.. never thought about mentioning the mileage and oil
type.. Apx 155000km's and usually uses Castrol 10W30 oil.

Old March 1st 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Gordon McGrew[_1_]

On 28 Feb 2007 08:16:06 -0800, "Metzeller" >
wrote:

>Spoke to my buddy yesterday and he mentioned that hi 93 accord lost
>about 2litres of oil per 5000km.. That really doesn't sound to
>normal to me. Oil pan seems clean, Gaskets don't seem to be leaking
>and no black smoke from the exhaust.. Any tips on what could be the
>reason for this car eating up so much oil?
>
>Thx..

If it is not the PCV, then it is something worn in the engine. The
consumption rate (~1 qt/1500 miles) isn't terrible awful but it should
be better with only 155,000 km (100,000 mi) on the car. Has the car
been well maintained?

Probably not worth spending money on it now (except for PCV valve).
Just watch it carefully and add oil as needed. It could go a long
time without getting much worse.

Old March 1st 07, 12:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Metzeller" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Spoke to my buddy yesterday and he mentioned that hi 93 accord lost
> about 2litres of oil per 5000km.. That really doesn't sound to
> normal to me. Oil pan seems clean, Gaskets don't seem to be leaking
> and no black smoke from the exhaust.. Any tips on what could be the
> reason for this car eating up so much oil?

Your oil consumption as stated is only 1,500 miles per quart, which
isn't too bad except for the fact you've got less than 100,000 miles on
the engine. I've got the same consumption level, but then I've got
283,000 miles (456,000km).

However, if I were you, I would get an accurate reading on your oil
consumption before panicking. Most people have no idea how to properly
check their oil consumption.

The distance between marks on the dipstick is one liter, or 5% more than
a US quart. Make certain you're pushing the dipstick in all the way, and
check more than once.

Do this:

1) Drive car for at least a half-hour.
2) Park car and leave overnight.
3) In morning, BEFORE starting car, check oil level on stick and note
it. DO NOT ADD MORE OIL. If level is not close to top, discontinue test.
Top up as necessary, then resume from Step 1.
4) Drive car 1,000 miles (1,600km)
5) Immediately before parking the car for the last time, drive it
EXACTLY as you did in Step 1.
6) Leave car overnight in precisely the location it was in Step 2.
7) Check oil as you did in Step 3, and make note of the level. How far
did it drop on the stick after 1,000 miles?

This level of precision is necessary to ensure proper readings. Ideally
you're starting with fresh oil, so any water in the old oil will be
gone.

Variables can greatly affect the reading on the stick, so it's important
to eliminate them as far as possible.

Variables to eliminate:
1) Old oil, which may have water in it. A long drive can burn up the
water, causing the apparent level to drop.
2) Different driving conditions prior to shutdown. Cool oil has a
tendency to not quickly run down into the pan, causing a lower level.
Hot oil will run down more completely, causing a higher level.
3) Different parking spot angles, whcih can tilt the level towards or
away from the stick.

Coolant temperature gauge readings are NOT an indicator of oil
temperature.

Do NOT check your oil at the gas station when filling up. That's the
worst place to do it.

None of the above means anything if your consumption is normal; it only
becomes important once your consumption becomes a problem.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old March 1st 07, 01:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Scrapper[_54_]

sounds like my sisters car it was the valve seals.

--
Scrapper
Scrapper's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=438443

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old March 2nd 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Metzeller

On Mar 1, 6:56 am, Tegger > wrote:
> "Metzeller" > wrote groups.com:
>
> > Spoke to my buddy yesterday and he mentioned that hi 93 accord lost
> > about 2litres of oil per 5000km.. That really doesn't sound to
> > normal to me. Oil pan seems clean, Gaskets don't seem to be leaking
> > and no black smoke from the exhaust.. Any tips on what could be the
> > reason for this car eating up so much oil?

> Your oil consumption as stated is only 1,500 miles per quart, which
> isn't too bad except for the fact you've got less than 100,000 miles on
> the engine. I've got the same consumption level, but then I've got
> 283,000 miles (456,000km).
>
> However, if I were you, I would get an accurate reading on your oil
> consumption before panicking. Most people have no idea how to properly
> check their oil consumption.
>
> The distance between marks on the dipstick is one liter, or 5% more than
> a US quart. Make certain you're pushing the dipstick in all the way, and
> check more than once.
>
> Do this:
>
> 1) Drive car for at least a half-hour.
> 2) Park car and leave overnight.
> 3) In morning, BEFORE starting car, check oil level on stick and note
> it. DO NOT ADD MORE OIL. If level is not close to top, discontinue test.
> Top up as necessary, then resume from Step 1.
> 4) Drive car 1,000 miles (1,600km)
> 5) Immediately before parking the car for the last time, drive it
> EXACTLY as you did in Step 1.
> 6) Leave car overnight in precisely the location it was in Step 2.
> 7) Check oil as you did in Step 3, and make note of the level. How far
> did it drop on the stick after 1,000 miles?
>
> This level of precision is necessary to ensure proper readings. Ideally
> you're starting with fresh oil, so any water in the old oil will be
> gone.
>
> Variables can greatly affect the reading on the stick, so it's important
> to eliminate them as far as possible.
>
> Variables to eliminate:
> 1) Old oil, which may have water in it. A long drive can burn up the
> water, causing the apparent level to drop.
> 2) Different driving conditions prior to shutdown. Cool oil has a
> tendency to not quickly run down into the pan, causing a lower level.
> Hot oil will run down more completely, causing a higher level.
> 3) Different parking spot angles, whcih can tilt the level towards or
> away from the stick.
>
> Coolant temperature gauge readings are NOT an indicator of oil
> temperature.
>
> Do NOT check your oil at the gas station when filling up. That's the
> worst place to do it.
>
> None of the above means anything if your consumption is normal; it only
> becomes important once your consumption becomes a problem.
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/

Tegger you are the true Authority!

Thanks again for your help.

What burns cleaner? DB General 0 December 24th 06 04:59 AM
Cubic Litres?? Oppie Saturn 1 October 7th 05 04:45 PM
Where to buy Richard Burns Rally for PC? [email protected] Simulators 4 February 18th 05 09:43 PM
Richard Burns Rally ggroups2 Simulators 4 November 4th 04 10:01 AM
Wiper fluid ... it burns it burns!! Caden Mazda 5 September 14th 04 08:16 PM