New battery.

Old February 12th 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

Default Stuff is fixed? was: Oops, was: New battery.

If it makes anyone feel better--(or worse)
I had to spring for a new AGM battery for my 99 this afternoon.
Symptoms
Slow turn over before start, unless the old AGM was on a trickle charger
overnight.
Secondary symptoms
Running voltage two tenths higher than normal. (Battery internal resisitance
a bit high)
Battery voltage dropped too far during start load testing. Automatic testor,
don't know the exact drop for failure.
The local battery shop carries AGM batteries for the Miatas, so $57 later
(prorated old AGM) back to normal.
The new battery is actually a slightly better fit than the old one or a
Wesco.
I had to put a small block under the screw down end of the bracket to make
it fit the Wesco properly, and we removed it to fit the new battery. Vent
tubes are in the same position as the old battery.

. 236...

Old February 16th 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Pat Dreiding[_2_]

Default New battery Vent Tube Question

I purchased my '99 Miata used in 2001. A month ago my battery died. 7 years
is good!
I use the car daily so took the old battery out and purchased a replacement
from Autozone.
After reading the other battery related messages, this might not have been
the best purchase. But I'll live with it.
The original battery had the vent tubes venting inside the battery
compartment.
The Autozone tech said the this was OK and venting to the outside was not
necessary.

Anyhow, my question to you is about the vent tubes.
Is it OK to vent the '99 Miata battery inside the battery compartment or
should it be vented to the outside?

If it sould be vented outside, is there a picture on how the venting looks.

Thanks,
- Pat

Old February 16th 08, 05:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jazz_Azz

On Feb 16, 9:45 am, "Pat Dreiding" > wrote:
> I purchased my '99 Miata used in 2001. A month ago my battery died. 7 years
> is good!
> I use the car daily so took the old battery out and purchased a replacement
> from Autozone.
> After reading the other battery related messages, this might not have been
> the best purchase. But I'll live with it.
> The original battery had the vent tubes venting inside the battery
> compartment.
> The Autozone tech said the this was OK and venting to the outside was not
> necessary.
>
> Anyhow, my question to you is about the vent tubes.
> Is it OK to vent the '99 Miata battery inside the battery compartment or
> should it be vented to the outside?
>
> If it sould be vented outside, is there a picture on how the venting looks.
>
> Thanks,
> - Pat

The entire point in to vent it, is to the outside. That AutoZone
person has no idea what they are taling about, since you do not want
these fumes seeping into the passenger area, probably easily reachable
from the trunk. I also bought an Auto Zone battery, which you'll find
really will noticeably slow down in the cold winter months, which is
why i now keep it on my charger/maintainer, which you can read about
in my Charger/Maintainer thread. Anyway, my 2000 has the outside vent
hook up integrated as part of the right side rear reflector, hooking
on to that vent outlet. When I bought my AutoZone Battery, I do recall
the vent holes being in a slightly different place necessitating my
having to go back inside and getting a slightly longer tube. I
uninstalled the old and installed the new right outside their store.
The Miata is so easy, it only took me minutes.

Next time, hopefully several yrs. away, I'll probably go with a
Westco, since teammiata.com is very near to me. But I was also told
that First Interstate makes a Miata battery, which I have never
checked out. So maybe a First Interstate battery dealer may be of some
help.

Of all places, you'd think that dang Sears would have offered them by
now. But no such luck, asa far as I know. The dealer's proces are
outrageous as usual.
Old February 16th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

"Pat Dreiding" > wrote:

> The original battery had the vent tubes venting inside the battery
> compartment.
>
> The Autozone tech said the this was OK and venting to the outside
> was not necessary.

I disagree.

> Anyhow, my question to you is about the vent tubes.
> Is it OK to vent the '99 Miata battery inside the battery
> compartment or should it be vented to the outside?

No, yes.

> If it sould be vented outside, is there a picture on how the
> venting looks.

I don't know of one. The vent tubes connect together and then the
single tube exits through a fitting in the trunk just in front of the
right tail light. Lift up the carpet and see if it's not there.

Old February 16th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Pat Dreiding[_2_]

Ok - that's what I thought.

I have the vent tubes going off the battery, but I don't have the T
connector and tube to vent to the external venting tube.
Should I be able to pick this up any any auto supply store or must I go to a
Mazda dealer?

- Pat

. 236...

Old February 16th 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article <rxItj.35964$we5.17448@trnddc02>,
"Pat Dreiding" > wrote:

> I have the vent tubes going off the battery, but I don't have the T
> connector and tube to vent to the external venting tube.
> Should I be able to pick this up any any auto supply store or must I go to a
> Mazda dealer?

The auto parts store will have an assortment of connectors and tubing.
You should get out for around a dollar.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old February 17th 08, 03:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jazz_Azz

On Feb 16, 3:10 pm, Lanny Chambers > wrote:
> In article <rxItj.35964$we5.17448@trnddc02>,
> "Pat Dreiding" > wrote:
>
> > I have the vent tubes going off the battery, but I don't have the T
> > connector and tube to vent to the external venting tube.
> > Should I be able to pick this up any any auto supply store or must I go to a
> > Mazda dealer?

> The auto parts store will have an assortment of connectors and tubing.
> You should get out for around a dollar.
>
> --
> Lanny Chambers
> St. Louis, MO
> '94C

Yeah, but he might need to go to the dealer for the part that gets it
outside the body. Like I said, my 2000 has the vent tube going to a
spot that is part of my right rear reflector, not the tail light.
Old February 19th 08, 02:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

Default The end of the battery thread, was: New battery.

XS11E > wrote:

OK, the new Westco is in and is fine.

The old Mazda battery was apparently fine also, the problem turned out
to be a bad ground cable.

So what to do with the old battery?

Sunday a friend came over driving his Suzuki Sidekick, when he tried to
leave, his battery was completely dead so.....

A Miata battery fits nicely into a Sidekick and the "What to do with
the old battery?" question has been answered.

Result: Everyone is happy and I earned a brownie point for having a
good used battery that was the right size and the right price, free!

Old February 19th 08, 05:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article > ,
XS11E > wrote:

> Result: Everyone is happy and I earned a brownie point for having a
> good used battery that was the right size and the right price, free!

<clap clap clap clap> You just earned a free pass on your next typo. :-)

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old February 19th 08, 02:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

Lanny Chambers > wrote:

> In article > ,
> XS11E > wrote:
>
>> Result: Everyone is happy and I earned a brownie point for having
>> a good used battery that was the right size and the right price,
>> free!

> <clap clap clap clap> You just earned a free pass on your next
> typo. :-)

I dunt mak tipoes.