O2 sensor replacement

Old January 20th 08, 03:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Default O2 sensor replacement

My 99 now has ~81k and the CEL came on the other day. I checked the code and
it indicates the #2 O2 sensor (down stream from the cat) is not sending a
signal. I scooted under the car and fiddled around with it a bit. I saw
where it into the interior of the car through the floor board behind the
drivers seat. I dug around there a bit but w/o removing parts it wasn't
obvious how near / far it might be to the connections. Anybody know?

In addition, after piddling around with it, the CEL light didn't come on the
last couple times I started it. Is this related or just temporary, and the
light will be back on in the next couple of days? Do I just have to wait and
see?

One other thing; while I was at AutoZone I checked their price for the
sensor. It's $150 for the direct replacement and about $75 for the
"universal" which the guy tells me means that I'd have to cut some wires and
splice in connectors. I don't have a problem with splicing 4 wires in to
save $75 as long as I can figure out which wire goes to which wire. Any idea
how much difficulty that might be? Am I missing something here? Anybody
gotten a significantly better price somewhere else?

Thanks,
Chris
--
99BBB

Old January 20th 08, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

The Bosch "universal" O2 sensor comes with instructions and a splicer block.
Read the instructions carefully. Eventually they will make sense. Also,
leave about 3"-6" of extra length if you are splicing the front sensor
wires.
By the way the 420 code can be the front sensor instead of the Cat. Several
of the codes set due to lack of a "differential" between the two sensors.

Old January 20th 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen[_2_]

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 16:28:35 -0600, pws wrote:

> pws wrote:
>> Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
>>
>>> One other thing; while I was at AutoZone I checked their price for the
>>> sensor. It's $150 for the direct replacement and about $75 for the
>>> "universal" which the guy tells me means that I'd have to cut some
>>> wires and splice in connectors. I don't have a problem with splicing 4
>>> wires in to save $75 as long as I can figure out which wire goes to
>>> which wire. Any idea how much difficulty that might be? Am I missing
>>> something here? Anybody gotten a significantly better price somewhere
>>> else?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Chris

>> How about $61.27 for a Bosch replacement that plugs right in?
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/2ha5zv
>>
>> Pat

> Oops, that is $61.27 for the Denso unit. The Bosch replacement is
> $72.19. The wires are all color-coded if you do end up splicing one in.

Except that that one still requires reuse of the old connector. The
Bosch unit that plugs in directly is $128.

Leon
--
Leon Bess Bozo .)
Old January 21st 08, 01:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Very cool!

Thanks,
Chris
99BBB

Old January 21st 08, 01:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Good catch, I think you're right.

Chris,
99BBB

Old January 24th 08, 05:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Since I had the code checked and went under and played around with the
wires, the CEL has gone off! Maybe I hadn't tightened the gas cap properly
like some folks have had happen. I don't know but for now I'm pretty happy
about it.

Chris
99BBB

Old January 24th 08, 04:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jazz_Azz

On Jan 20, 7:32 am, "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:
> My 99 now has ~81k and the CEL came on the other day. I checked the code and
> it indicates the #2 O2 sensor (down stream from the cat) is not sending a
> signal. I scooted under the car and fiddled around with it a bit. I saw
> where it into the interior of the car through the floor board behind the
> drivers seat. I dug around there a bit but w/o removing parts it wasn't
> obvious how near / far it might be to the connections. Anybody know?
>
> In addition, after piddling around with it, the CEL light didn't come on the
> last couple times I started it. Is this related or just temporary, and the
> light will be back on in the next couple of days? Do I just have to wait and
> see?
>
> One other thing; while I was at AutoZone I checked their price for the
> sensor. It's $150 for the direct replacement and about $75 for the
> "universal" which the guy tells me means that I'd have to cut some wires and
> splice in connectors. I don't have a problem with splicing 4 wires in to
> save $75 as long as I can figure out which wire goes to which wire. Any idea
> how much difficulty that might be? Am I missing something here? Anybody
> gotten a significantly better price somewhere else?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
> --
> 99BBB

I assume that since my aging 58 yr. old body can barely get my
shoulder under my 2000 Miata to feel under the oil filter, that you
had to put your car up on ramps or jack stands to be able to do
this??? Since I'm all thumbs most of the time when it comes to car
problems, I guess that I would just bite the bullet and pay to have it
done, if it were anything other than the gas cap, not being on
properly.
Old January 25th 08, 01:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Ya, I've got the Rhino ramps and I use the sh_t out of them. Between
changing oil on somewhere between 5 and 7 cars at any given time and doing
everything on the miata and most everything on the others, they're
lifesavers!

Chris
99BBB (still no CEL)

Old January 25th 08, 01:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
S K

Chris>>Do you place the ramps down on the driveway, so that the rest of
the car is level, when draining the oil??

Old January 27th 08, 05:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

No, never worried about that. IIRC the drain plug is toward the back so a
bit of rearward tilt is no problem for draining. I've found it doesn't make
much of a difference even when refilling and checking dip stick. Of course,
to be safe / accurate, you should dbl check oil level when you get the car
back to level and add if necessary.

Chris
99BBB