P0420 code from check engine light 2000 Mazda Protege?

Old January 8th 08, 09:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default P0420 code from check engine light 2000 Mazda Protege?

Got this code and it says something abt catalytic
converter system. God I hope not cause that's expensive
to replace?

Do cat system even wear out?

Car has 140k on it and was bought new.
Old January 9th 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

I would "reset" the system and see if it comes back before I changed
anything.

I had the CEL come on in my 2003 Miata for the : o11 and 012 code.
"That", said that my ignition was too far advanced and too far retarted
at the same time. Well, the 2003 has VVT and I had high reved it when
the engine was not warmed up enough and the VVT hit the stops on high
and low range of the VVT. I disconnected the battery for 3 tree min.,
Reset my radio stations and it all went away.

We all know that computers "can't" make errors ! :-)

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Old January 10th 08, 11:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

It's also possible that the first O2 sensor is getting a bit long in the
tooth.
Usually, the front sensor fails before the rear one. On my Miata, the front
sensor had a slightly lower output and had a bit slower response than a good
sensor. This caused the 420 code to set periodically. A reset might be OK
for months, a week, or a day. I only spent about two years screwing around
with this and that before I broke down and replaced the sensor.

Old January 10th 08, 03:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Chuck" > wrote:

>It's also possible that the first O2 sensor is getting a bit long in the
>tooth.
>Usually, the front sensor fails before the rear one. On my Miata, the front
>sensor had a slightly lower output and had a bit slower response than a good
>sensor. This caused the 420 code to set periodically. A reset might be OK
>for months, a week, or a day. I only spent about two years screwing around
>with this and that before I broke down and replaced the sensor.

Ok thanks..... should I go ahead and replace BOTH
sensors if getting the job done by a mechanic?

I'm unemployed and would MUCH rather replace a couple
of sensors than a catalytic converter itself as I'm
assuming a new converter is gonna cost abt $500 or
more. yes?
Old January 10th 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

pws > wrote:

>> Ok thanks..... should I go ahead and replace BOTH
>> sensors if getting the job done by a mechanic?

>It can't hurt, but it likely not needed, especially the rear one. How
>many miles do you have on the Protege?

Have 143k miles on it
Old January 12th 08, 12:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

And, for whatever it's worth, sensors are designed to work for 80k or more,
I.E. 80-100k miles.
A universal sensor (four lead, with splicer) is usually less than $100.