Ignition cylinder problem

Old June 27th 06, 05:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Ignition cylinder problem

Vehicle: Pont GA 3.4

I can take my keys out of the ignition at almost any angle. Even with
the car running
and the ignition to "on" I can pull the key straight out. This started
some time ago,
and initially when the problem began I could pull the keys out when the
ignition was just a
little past the "off" position. It steadily got worse to where it is
now.

What do I need to replace? The cylinder, or lock?

Thanks

MB

Old June 27th 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"MAB" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Vehicle: Pont GA 3.4
>
> I can take my keys out of the ignition at almost any angle. Even with
> the car running
> and the ignition to "on" I can pull the key straight out. This started
> some time ago,
> and initially when the problem began I could pull the keys out when the
> ignition was just a
> little past the "off" position. It steadily got worse to where it is
> now.
>
> What do I need to replace? The cylinder, or lock?

Try a new key first.

--
TeGGeR®

Old June 27th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

My Jeep actually has that 'feature' and I like it. I can drive around
with no keys rattling away. My lock cylinder will turn off and on with
no key as long as I don't shut it all the way off to lock position.
Once it is at the lock position, I need the key again. To go to lock
position, I have to hit a finger lever.

I had a couple GM trucks that were the same, which figures because my
Jeep uses a GM lock cylinder.

Interesting enough, when I get replacement keys cut, I loose this
'feature' on those keys....

If it really bothers you or you can start the car with no key then you
can replace the cylinder or maybe just try a new key.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old June 30th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

A new Ignition Lock Cylinder will include new cylinder, lock and key.
Here is a photo of the replacement ignition lock cylinder for a 2004
Grand Am: http://www.rockauto.com/ref/SMP/SMPD...tml?US286L.jpg

Old June 30th 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

How do you figure that?

When I pull my key out of the ignition, the tumbler still acts normally,
it doesn't move on it's own. I need to physically turn the unit to off
just the same as if the key was in it. I then have to hit the finger
tab to turn it to lock or I can leave it on off and start it again with
no key inserted. Once locked, I need the key again.

If yours is flopping around, you should get it fixed before it actually
falls out on the ground and then you won't be able to start or stop it.

Mike