who killed the electric car

Old June 24th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default who killed the electric car

TeGGeR® wrote:

> Electric cars were -- and are -- a stupid, expensive, masturbatory,
> environut wet dream.

Is Master Battery Mr. Battery's son?

The Stonecutters killed the electric car:

Who controls the British crown?
Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps?
Who keeps the martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car?
Who makes Steve Guttenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs the cave fish of their sight?
Who rigs every Oscars night?
We do! We do!

Old June 24th 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Norm De Plume" > wrote in
oups.com:

> TeGGeR® wrote:
>
>> Electric cars were -- and are -- a stupid, expensive, masturbatory,
>> environut wet dream.

> Is Master Battery Mr. Battery's son?
>
> The Stonecutters killed the electric car:
>
> Who controls the British crown?
> Who keeps the metric system down?
> We do! We do!
> Who leaves Atlantis off the maps?
> Who keeps the martians under wraps?
> We do! We do!
> Who holds back the electric car?
> Who makes Steve Guttenberg a star?
> We do! We do!
> Who robs the cave fish of their sight?
> Who rigs every Oscars night?
> We do! We do!

Yes. You have hit the Philosopher's Stone on its head. It is quite clear.
Quite clear indeed. The whole enterprise...is...a...c.o.n.s.p.i.r.a.c.y.

I am sure the Rosicrucians -- and perhaps even the Symbionese Liberation
Army -- are intimately involved.

Stock up on tin foil, friend. We'll need it to line our hats.

--
TeGGeR®

Old June 24th 06, 10:13 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Jeff" > wrote in message
news
> <snip>
> >
> > Anyone can do as I did and convert an existing automobile to an EV or
> > hybrid.

> Barring a conversion kit from Walmart, can you provide a few details on
> how "anyone" can convert their car to electric?

Sure Jeff, you just go down to the local electric car conversion garage,
there's
at least one of them in every major city, usually more, and have them do it,
same as "anyone" can get their transmission fixed.

Ted

Old June 28th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

TeGGeR® wrote:

> Electric cars were -- and are -- a stupid, expensive, masturbatory,
> environut wet dream.

I suspect that the companies making the most noise about advancing research
on electric cars - and alternative fuels - are in it for the governmental
and private, tree-hugger organization grants....IOW, Money!

As long as they can continue to "justify" the grants per the grant "mission
statements" and specifications, they continue to enjoy a fairly soft,
routine, 9-5 life.

The real breakthrough on electric cars - and, probably, alternative fuels -
will come from some guy working in a backyard garage evenings and weekends
on a toy he is building for his kid - or himself.

Follow the dollar and see how it is being spent.......
Old June 28th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"*" > wrote in

> TeGGeR® wrote:
>
>> Electric cars were -- and are -- a stupid, expensive, masturbatory,
>> environut wet dream.

> I suspect that the companies making the most noise about advancing
> research on electric cars - and alternative fuels - are in it for the
> governmental and private, tree-hugger organization grants....IOW,
> Money!

Yup.

--
TeGGeR®

Old June 29th 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

* wrote:

> TeGGeR® wrote:
>
> > Electric cars were -- and are -- a stupid, expensive, masturbatory,
> > environut wet dream.

> I suspect that the companies making the most noise about advancing research
> on electric cars - and alternative fuels - are in it for the governmental
> and private, tree-hugger organization grants....IOW, Money!

Put another way, electric vehicles aren't economically viable without
major subsidies.

Corporations will build anything they can which will earn them a profit.
On the other hand, no payback, no product.

> As long as they can continue to "justify" the grants per the grant "mission
> statements" and specifications, they continue to enjoy a fairly soft,
> routine, 9-5 life.
>
> The real breakthrough on electric cars - and, probably, alternative fuels -
> will come from some guy working in a backyard garage evenings and weekends
> on a toy he is building for his kid - or himself.

If that guy happens to be solving some serious battery chemistry or
energy density problems while puttering around in the garage.

> Follow the dollar and see how it is being spent.......

--
Paul Hovnanian
Opinions stated herein are the sole property of the author. Standard
Old June 29th 06, 01:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." > wrote in
:

> * wrote:
>>
>> TeGGeR® wrote:
>>
>> > Electric cars were -- and are -- a stupid, expensive, masturbatory,
>> > environut wet dream.

>> I suspect that the companies making the most noise about advancing
>> research on electric cars - and alternative fuels - are in it for the
>> governmental and private, tree-hugger organization grants....IOW,
>> Money!

> Put another way, electric vehicles aren't economically viable without
> major subsidies.

And if they require major subsidies, then they are not economically viable.
Period.

The money that counts towards the cost of a thing is not just the direct
cost paid for it.

--
TeGGeR®

Old June 30th 06, 06:49 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"TeGGeR®" wrote:

> "Paul Hovnanian P.E." > wrote in
> :
>
> > * wrote:

> >> I suspect that the companies making the most noise about advancing
> >> research on electric cars - and alternative fuels - are in it for the
> >> governmental and private, tree-hugger organization grants....IOW,
> >> Money!

> > Put another way, electric vehicles aren't economically viable without
> > major subsidies.

> And if they require major subsidies, then they are not economically viable.
> Period.
>
> The money that counts towards the cost of a thing is not just the direct
> cost paid for it.

Correct. Now, I don't mind someone conducting R&D. And I don't mind the
gov't kicking a little in to help out (that's what NASA is all about). I
think the electric car conspiracy theorists need to face reality. It was
a nice trial, but nowhere near economically viable on its own.

GM did learn valuable lessons about electric vehicles, which resulted in
their lead developing hybrid vehicles .......

.....like the Honda and Toyota. Whoops. Maybe the subsidized hobby shops
don't pay off that well after all. :-/

--
Paul Hovnanian
Hanlon's Razor: