who killed the electric car

Old June 19th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default who killed the electric car

wrote:

> see the movie. just see it and we can continue with this conversation.
> the film really does cover every argument, every side.

I'll post one more time on this and then quit.
Name one country that uses electric cars as their main mode of
transportation......
We're waiting.
Someday it will happen, probably, but we'll have to build some more
power plants to do it. I mean we already have rolling blackouts during
the hottest days of summer. Also, how can you have a cheap working air
conditioner in your electric car with today's technology? Granted,
someday it will happen, just not now.
Okay, with that being answered, you would think that if it was so easy,
SOME industrialized country that is short on crude oil (Japan, China,
Germany, etc.) would have developed the cheap electric car. If it is so
easy, YOU develop one in your garage. Maybe if you have some questions
on the project or need some information you could watch your movie for
the second time. Like you said, all arguments will be covered.

Old June 19th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

The American buying public HAS voted on the issue of electric cars via
marketing surveys. The majority of potential buyers want at least 200
miles range on a charge before they buy an electric. The mfgs are
reluctant to invest in a vehicle the market won't buy.

The technology IS here to make a 100 mile vehicle, but is not here to
make a reasonably priced 200 mile one.

We can wait till battery technology reaches the 200 mile mark, or we can
change our minds and say, "okay, it would be my second car, for around
town and short trips, and I'll buy a 100 mile car." I don't blame the
industry for being reluctant to develop and design a car they think the
public won't buy. No project manager wants to get the reputation of
being an Edsel creator.

Old June 20th 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Oleg Lego > wrote in
:

wrote:
>>> it's funny because everyone i've ever met who drives an electric car
>>> has sworn by them.
>>>
>>> also, the EV1s weren't expensive

>>cite? All reports say that GM couldn't have sold a single EV1 at a
>>profit as they would have cost something in the hundreds of thousands
>>each range.
>>
>>> and they didn't let off any emissions,

>>Sure they did, they just let them off at the power plant, not at the
>>tailpipe. The only way you could say that it was a true ZEV is if it
>>was solely powered by solar, water, wind, geothermal etc. power.

> Saskatchewan just put a bunch more wind turbines online, for a total
> of 175 megawatts, apparently the largest wind turbine generation
> system in Canada.

Canada generates a total of about 556-million MW (2003 figure) from all
sources. 175 MW is 0.00000003% of the total.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electri...tion_in_Canada
That's a lot of bird-chopping for not much juice.

And I'll bet that 175 MW is an "estimated" figure, one assuming there would
be sufficient wind to keep the turbines running far longer than they
actually would in real-life.

> All we have to do it plug our electric vehicles into
> the grid through a filter that allows only wind-generated current
> through. Nothing to it.

Yes. I understand wind-generated electrons are shinier and prettier.

--
TeGGeR®

Old June 20th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

" > wrote in
ups.com:

>> >cite? All reports say that GM couldn't have sold a single EV1 at a
>> >profit as they would have cost something in the hundreds of thousands
>> >each range.

> yes - all GM reports, and when the GM reports were subject to
> investigation the reports turned out to be false. they were blatant
> fabrications.
>
> see the movie. just see it and we can continue with this conversation.
> the film really does cover every argument, every side.

No it doesn't. It leaves out lots and distorts what it does include.

See the truth here, for free and without the expensive popcorn:
http://www.gmtoday.com/news/auto/topnews33.htm

--
TeGGeR®

Old June 20th 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

The TeGGeR® entity posted thusly:

:

>> Saskatchewan just put a bunch more wind turbines online, for a total
>> of 175 megawatts, apparently the largest wind turbine generation
>> system in Canada.

>Canada generates a total of about 556-million MW (2003 figure) from all
>sources. 175 MW is 0.00000003% of the total.
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electri...tion_in_Canada
>That's a lot of bird-chopping for not much juice.

I might have the wattage figure wrong. I do remember for sure they
said they could supply the needs of 64,000 average homes. Oh, and for
facts, Wikipedia ranks right up there with astrology and witchcraft.
Anyone can make an entry.

They did say it's the largest wind-generation facility in Canada.

>And I'll bet that 175 MW is an "estimated" figure, one assuming there would
>be sufficient wind to keep the turbines running far longer than they
>actually would in real-life.

Ever been to Saskatchewan? The wind blows a LOT; a REAL LOT.

>> All we have to do it plug our electric vehicles into
>> the grid through a filter that allows only wind-generated current
>> through. Nothing to it.

Yes. I understand wind-generated electrons are shinier and prettier.

They are.. all nice and coal-fire-soot free. They get polished by the
circular motion of the turbine.

Old June 20th 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

a car full of batteries,

is more explosive than a car full of gas!

Hydrogen, comes from petrolium!!

---------------------FREE ENERGY-----------------------------

--
xeroinfinity
xeroinfinity's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=359630

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old June 20th 06, 05:49 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

The xeroinfinity entity posted thusly:

>a car full of batteries,
>
>is more explosive than a car full of gas!

Debatable.

>Hydrogen, comes from petrolium!!

Umm... petroleum come partly from hydrogen. Hint: It's all
hydrocarbons.

Old June 20th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

xeroinfinity > wrote in article

> Hydrogen, comes from petrolium!!

So, every time I take a drink of water - which is composed of hydrogen and
oxygen (H20) - I am drinking crude oil???????

Old June 23rd 06, 06:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Kruse wrote:

> While I must applaud your enthusiasm, think about where you get your
> electricity from. Does your power plant produce electricity pollution
> free? Mine doesn't either. I've always thought that having an electric
> car does not stop pollution, it just moves the source of pollution from
> your exhaust tail pipe to the power plant's smoke stake, although they
> probably produce it a little more efficiently.
> To produce electricity pollution free you need to get it from hydro,
> the sun or from the wind. Which one do you have? Can you imagine if
> everybody had a solar cell, a large windmill or a source of hydro power
> in their back yard? It's just not going to happen.
> One more thing about "GM and Uncle Sam shredding it". GM doesn't own
> the world and neither does Uncle Sam. (although Uncle Sam tries to) Do
> you see electricity used ANYWHERE in the world as the major source of
> automobile transportation? Most of the world's electric subways get
> their power from pollution-producing power plants also.
> Now, if electric cars are so simple to build, go ahead and build one
> and show us how it is done. Remember that it has to have most of the
> conveniences of an internal combustion engine or people won't want to
> buy or use it.
>
> Good luck.

Power plants can produce electricity more efficiently, and electric
cars can be built to use that electricity for motive power more
efficiently, than the efficiency of most gasoline engines used to
provide motive power.

I charged my electric car from solar panels, but even if I used grid
power, most of this part of the country is supplied from hydroelectric
facilities operated by Tennessee Valley Authority.

Anyone can do as I did and convert an existing automobile to an EV or
hybrid. Granted, many production cars and SUVs are just too heavy to
get decent range compared to vehicles initially designed to be EVs.
Until the automakers give us better alternatives, we'll just have to
make do with EV conversions or homebuilt EVs.

Bob

Old June 23rd 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

<snip>

> Anyone can do as I did and convert an existing automobile to an EV or
> hybrid.

Barring a conversion kit from Walmart, can you provide a few details on
how "anyone" can convert their car to electric?

Jeff