Clutch bolts and locktite

Old July 22nd 18, 09:10 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Arlen Holder

Default Clutch bolts and locktite

Which is best for dropping the transmission?

Do you remove the crossmember, the bracket, or just the transmission mount?
* Crossmember http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6290082bracket03.jpg
* Bracket http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4222146bracket02.jpg
* Mount http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6137530bracket01.jpg

Also, do you locktite the bolts when you re-install? (What color?)
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9054142locktite01.jpg
Old July 22nd 18, 02:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Wade Garrett

On 7/22/18 4:10 AM, Arlen Holder wrote:
> Which is best for dropping the transmission?
>
> Do you remove the crossmember, the bracket, or just the transmission mount?
> * Crossmember http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6290082bracket03.jpg
> * Bracket http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4222146bracket02.jpg
> * Mount http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6137530bracket01.jpg
>
> Also, do you locktite the bolts when you re-install? (What color?)
> http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9054142locktite01.jpg

If you have to ask those questions, the job is above your pay grade...

--
The fastest way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.
Old July 22nd 18, 05:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Oren[_2_]

On Sun, 22 Jul 2018 08:10:10 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder
> wrote:

>Which is best for dropping the transmission?
>
>Do you remove the crossmember, the bracket, or just the transmission mount?
>* Crossmember http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6290082bracket03.jpg
>* Bracket http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4222146bracket02.jpg
>* Mount http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6137530bracket01.jpg

What is the risk off the tranny falling on you?

>Also, do you locktite the bolts when you re-install? (What color?)
>http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9054142locktite01.jpg

The bolts have a torque range. Torque 'em and forget it.
Old July 22nd 18, 07:37 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Arlen Holder

On 22 Jul 2018 09:18:06 GMT, Oren wrote:

> What is the risk off the tranny falling on you?
>
>>Also, do you locktite the bolts when you re-install? (What color?)
>>http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9054142locktite01.jpg

> The bolts have a torque range. Torque 'em and forget it.

I found out that almost nobody uses locktite on transmission bolts.
Flywheel yes. Transmission no.

I still might locktite it though, just because it's hard to get to the
upper 17mm transmission bolts on the bell housing (I had to use a series of
half-inch extensions 30" long with a swivel as the 3/8" extensions just
twisted more than a quarter turn and were useless).

The blue is the locktite I'll buy (I generally never use the stuff but I've
never done a transmission before - but I've done everything else that
people do as I don't think I've been to a mechanic in two decades and my
cars are all that old).
http://www.wdarc.org/Loctite%20Guide.pdf

I was hoping for more advice here than "if you don't know, then you should"
though. Sigh.

Anyway, as for the colors,
Blue is just help it from coming loose where proper torquing does the work.
Red is for permanent install, hard to come off
Green is for use on nuts and bolts that are already installed

This guide to locktite seems useful.
http://www.loctite.com.au/aue/conten...5_Approved.pdf
Old July 22nd 18, 10:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
rbowman

On 07/22/2018 12:37 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
> Anyway, as for the colors,
> Blue is just help it from coming loose where proper torquing does the work.
> Red is for permanent install, hard to come off
> Green is for use on nuts and bolts that are already installed

If you're going to use any, blue is the way to go or the next time you
remove the transmission you'll be in there with a torch heating up the
bolts to soften the red.

I have never used LocTite on transmission, bellhousing, or pressure
plate fasteners.
Old July 22nd 18, 10:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Terry Coombs[_2_]

On 7/22/2018 4:07 PM, rbowman wrote:
> On 07/22/2018 12:37 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
>> Anyway, as for the colors,
>> Blue is just help it from coming loose where proper torquing does the
>> work.
>> Red is for permanent install, hard to come off
>> Green is for use on nuts and bolts that are already installed

> If you're going to use any, blue is the way to go or the next time you
> remove the transmission you'll be in there with a torch heating up the
> bolts to soften the red.
>
> I have never used LocTite on transmission, bellhousing, or pressure
> plate fasteners.

* But damn sure on the nut that holds the compensator sprocket to the
crankshaft on your Harley ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old July 23rd 18, 12:01 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Arlen Holder

On 22 Jul 2018 14:20:55 GMT, Terry Coombs wrote:

>> I have never used LocTite on transmission, bellhousing, or pressure
>> plate fasteners.

> * But damn sure on the nut that holds the compensator sprocket to the
> crankshaft on your Harley ...

Thanks for the locktite advice, where I never use it and I've done a decent
amount of work (cooling systems, alternators, belts, tensioners, etc.)
where I never before ran into bolts that needed 30 inches of extension to
get to, so I'll locktite blue them sparingly.

I always buy the tools I need, where right now, I can't think of the tool
that I need, but whatever it is, I need it.

How on earth do you get the transmission to back away from the engine?
I can't budge the thing! It's in neutral. I'm positive all the bolts are
off. I'm only somewhat positive that it's level because you can't really
easily tell, but it's close enough as I can wiggle it back and forth. If
it's hanging up on something, I don't see what. I just can't get any
rearward force on that transmission. What tool does that?

Here are some pictures showing that it seems to be hanging up on the upper
dowel pin, where the lower dowel pin is already out.

This is the driver side lower dowel pin, which is already out:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=7254379bellhousing01.jpg>
This is the same view showing that the tranmission "appears" level:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6205540bellhousing02.jpg>
This is the passenger side where the dowel pin can be seen up high:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=5277197bellhousing03.jpg>
I'm not sure where to place the jack but it's at the transmission waist:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1315488bellhousing04.jpg>

The tool I need is a tool to back the transmission away from the engine.
What tool is that?
Old July 23rd 18, 12:10 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
rbowman

On 07/22/2018 03:20 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

> But damn sure on the nut that holds the compensator sprocket to the
> crankshaft on your Harley ...

Luckily I haven't had to go there yet. I didn't replace the clutch
throwout bearing a few years ago but that's no big deal.

Grant me the knowledge to put LocTite on the things shouldn't come
apart, Never-Seez on the things that should, and the wisdom to know the
difference.
Old July 23rd 18, 02:17 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
rbowman

On 07/22/2018 05:01 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
> The tool I need is a tool to back the transmission away from the engine.
> What tool is that?

Are you supporting the engine?
Old July 23rd 18, 03:58 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Arlen Holder

On 22 Jul 2018 18:17:06 GMT, rbowman wrote:

> Are you supporting the engine?

OH oh.... supporting the engine?
I could. I have plenty of floor jacks.

It's RWD though.
The vehicle is on four jack stands (two on the rear axle and two on front
frame points just inside the wheels).

I appreciate your question, and my answer is definitely "no", I am not
supporting the engine.

It didn't occur to me to support the engine so I have to ask why would that
help?

(I'm not at all against the idea - I just don't understand how it can
help?)

How would I support the engine so that it would help?