Firing order

Old January 5th 18, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tom Del Rosso[_5_]

Default Firing order

This always bugged me. Why is firing order always non-consecutive?

Old January 5th 18, 03:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

On 1/4/2018 7:33 PM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> This always bugged me. Why is firing order always non-consecutive?

Because, in the case of classic 1342:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1h9eU9YH5o

Which extrapolates easily to my 18436572 small block

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old January 5th 18, 05:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tom Del Rosso[_5_]

AMuzi wrote:
> On 1/4/2018 7:33 PM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
>> This always bugged me. Why is firing order always non-consecutive?
>>

> Because, in the case of classic 1342:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1h9eU9YH5o
>
> Which extrapolates easily to my 18436572 small block

That doesn't explain why it isn't 1234.

Old January 5th 18, 06:26 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Sanity Clause[_2_]

"Tom Del Rosso" wrote

> >> This always bugged me. Why is firing order always non-consecutive?
> >>

> > Because, in the case of classic 1342:
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1h9eU9YH5o
> >

> That doesn't explain why it isn't 1234.

The reason they don't just fire "one end to the other end" is balance.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_balance

The reason the firing order isn't "consecutive" is due to the conventional
way(s) of numbering cylinders.
Straight 4 cyl = 1234
Straight 6 cyl = 123456
Some V8 = Left 1357 Right 2468
Other V8 = Left 5678 Right 1234

Feel free to build you own engine, and make it fire "consecutively" using
normal numbering (have fun as your engine shakes the car to pieces), or
get a felt pen and number your cylinders any way you like. :-)

Old January 5th 18, 06:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

http://what-when-how.com/automobile/...rs-automobile/

Old January 5th 18, 02:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

On 1/4/2018 10:20 PM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> AMuzi wrote:
>> On 1/4/2018 7:33 PM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
>>> This always bugged me. Why is firing order always non-consecutive?
>>>

>> Because, in the case of classic 1342:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1h9eU9YH5o
>>
>> Which extrapolates easily to my 18436572 small block

> That doesn't explain why it isn't 1234.

In theory you could make a cam and crank to do that but in
practice the crank would be huge to restore any workable
harmonic balance.

Old January 5th 18, 05:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tom Del Rosso[_5_]

AMuzi wrote:
> On 1/4/2018 10:20 PM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
>> AMuzi wrote:
>>>>

>>> Because, in the case of classic 1342:
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1h9eU9YH5o
>>>
>>> Which extrapolates easily to my 18436572 small block

>> That doesn't explain why it isn't 1234.
>>

> In theory you could make a cam and crank to do that but in
> practice the crank would be huge to restore any workable
> harmonic balance.

I don't see why, but thank you to all. I have to read up and think
about this.

Old January 5th 18, 05:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 7:33:08 PM UTC-6, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> This always bugged me. Why is firing order always non-consecutive?
>

> --

That helps balance the engine. Otherwise the engine would act crazy, might not be firing right too.
Old January 6th 18, 07:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 5/01/2018 12:33 PM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> This always bugged me. Why is firing order always non-consecutive?

Relies on the crankshaft: flatplane or crossplane
And control of engine balance.

--

Xeno
Old January 6th 18, 07:06 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 5/01/2018 3:20 PM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> AMuzi wrote:
>> On 1/4/2018 7:33 PM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
>>> This always bugged me. Why is firing order always non-consecutive?
>>>

>> Because, in the case of classic 1342:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1h9eU9YH5o
>>
>> Which extrapolates easily to my 18436572 small block

> That doesn't explain why it isn't 1234.

It does, if you care to look. Some thinking is required.

--

Xeno

Firing order question Mr. K[_2_] VW air cooled 5 August 10th 12 04:09 AM
Firing order meeker Technology 1 May 11th 06 10:23 PM
Firing order for M52 TJB BMW 5 March 10th 05 03:17 AM
Firing Order Don Jeep 4 February 13th 05 09:32 PM
Firing order? lp13-30 Chrysler 4 October 17th 04 05:09 PM