Is there a database online for the number of shop hours a car repair should take?

Old December 11th 17, 11:02 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.windows7.general
Frank S[_2_]

Default Is there a database online for the number of shop hours a car repair should take?

In <news Scott Dorsey said:

> It's published by Chilton's. It costs money. You can probably find it
> at your local library if you have a good public library with a good set
> of Chilton's. If you ask nicely, your mechanic might let you look at it.

I guess that means it's not *online* then....
Old December 11th 17, 11:02 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.windows7.general
Frank S[_2_]

In >,
pjp said:

> I'd be surprised if any such page exists that would/could remain valid
> for entire country. Too much "local" pressures etc.

A job takes the same amount of time in every part of the country.

I'm seeking what is hard to find - which is why I asked.
1. It's a source of TIME (not money!) time for each job
2. It's online

I know the paper books exist. It's what shops use to look the time up.
Then they simply charge the time by their shop rate.

It may not exist online - but what I'm asking for is the time.

I just want the flat rate time. Online. If it exists.
Old December 11th 17, 11:02 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.windows7.general
Frank S[_2_]

In >,
Clare Snyder said:

> There is a time for a water pump, and there is a time for a timing
> belt - and there is an "add-on" time for common combinations. You
> might see 2.6 for a water pump. and 3.3 for a timing belt - with an
> "add-on" to the timing belt of .3 for the water puimp - or possibly an
> extra 1.0 because to replace the timing belkt does not require opening
> the cooling system, while changing the water pump does. The numbers
> will often be different for w or w/o AC, ot from automatic to standard
> trtans because of complications involved with the different options.

You seem to know more than everyone else, as this is all true.
It's complicated how any one shop charges the time.
But that's not what I'm asking.

I just want the flat rate time. Online. If it exists.

> SOME shops ARE crooks and bill the full time for the timing belt plus
> the full time for the water pump. But then there are plumbers and
> electricians that overcharge too - not to mention Lawyers and
> accountants.

Yes. I know about this where you explained it well that there is a flat
rate for the water pump, and a flat rate for the timing belt, but if you do
them both, then there are two ways to calculate the flat rate.

I just want the flat rate time. Online. If it exists.
Old December 11th 17, 11:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.windows7.general
Frank S[_2_]

In <news AMuzi said:

> Chilton's doesn't express a value for dollars, just time.

That's *exactly* what I want.

a. Time.
b. Online.

Does it exist?
Old December 11th 17, 11:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.windows7.general
Frank S[_2_]

Old December 11th 17, 11:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.windows7.general
Frank S[_2_]

In >,
Clare Snyder said:

> Pure "flat rate" you get paid the labout units in the book - period.
> You wiun some, you lose some. A good mechanic, over-all, wins more
> than he loses.

You seem to understand the flat rate the best.
The only thing I'd clarify is the "win" just means he *beat* the time.
He still gets paid what he should if he does the job in the flat rate time.

I just want the flat rate time. Online. If it exists.
(I understand that it may not exist online - that's why I asked.)
Old December 11th 17, 11:09 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.windows7.general
Frank S[_2_]

In >,
Ed Pawlowski said:

> The Flat Rte manual gives time, not dollars so it is valid anywhere.

Exactly.

> Most mechanics can beat the times, especially the second time they do
> the job and yes, many shops pay that rate no matter how long it takes.

Of course.

>> What I dislike about their fixed cost repair arrangements is that if it
>> doesn't take that long we are giving them money for nothing but if it
>> takes longer you can be damn sure it's tacked onto the bill. And Yes I'm
>> sure if there's three separate repairs that they charge you for three
>> hours yet it's done in two saves you nothing but does put money in their
>> pocket for nothing.

> Correct in most cases. If replacing a timing belt there us usually an
> add on for the water pump at the same time though.

I understand that most shops just add it all up. That's OK.
I just want the flat rate time. Online. If it exists.
Old December 11th 17, 11:09 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.windows7.general
Frank S[_2_]

In <news Clare Snyder said:

> There is "chilton time" and there is "factory time".

I'll take either time.

> Dealers use "factory time" for most late model vehicles - and factory
> time is generally pretty scimpy compared to Chiltons (or Motors, or
> whatever "aftermarket" flat rates exist.)

I'll assume "factory time" is shorter than "Chilton time".

> The independents charge "chilton time"

That's exactly what I'm seeking.
a. Time
b. Online

> Also, the "book time" isn't tecninally "hours" - it is "labour units"
> - which compare closely to the number of hours an experienced mechanic
> with the proper tools will take tio do the job, A mechanic who has
> done the job many times should ALWAYS be able to do the job in fewer
> actual hours - while an apprentice or mechanic unfamilliar with the
> job will take more time.

I'm ok with any units that equate to the time you multiply times the shop
rate.

So if it's in labor units, that's fine since that equates to average time
anyway.

But does it exist online?

I just want the flat rate time. Online. If it exists.
Old December 11th 17, 11:09 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.windows7.general
Frank S[_2_]

In <news Rene Lamontagne said:

> Try Chilton manuals
> , Used to be our source waybackwhen.

The original question asks for a database *online* for the shop hours for
any given job.

I know Mitchells has it in paper manuals but I'm seeking an *online*
source.

I just want the flat rate time. Online. If it exists.
Old December 11th 17, 11:11 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.windows7.general
Frank S[_2_]

In <news Ken Springer said:

> Environmental fees, IE vapor control, cleaning solvent replacement, shop
> rags, all the other mandated regulations that must be followed.
>
> The average person simply has no clue any more, since most never grew up
> tinkering on cars in the back yard.

I am only asking about time. Online.