Correct VIN?

Old September 17th 17, 09:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Default Correct VIN?

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 13:15:34 -0700, Oren > wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 14:29:52 -0400, micky >
>wrote:
>
>>Looking to buy a car, check the VIN on carfax, and the repair history
>>there conflicts with the seller's story about where the car has been.
>>
>>So maybe I copied the VIN wrong, probably just one digit, but the make
>>and model of the car that carfax reports is the same as the one I'm
>>looking at. Does that mean I have the right VIN?
>>
>>OTOH aren't the last 6 or so digits just a sequential number from the
>>assembly line that makes, at least for a period of time, just one make
>>and model, and maybe 2 or 3 submodels?? So that would mean that I still
>>might have used the wrong VIN, right? If I got the last digit, or even
>>the next to the last, I might have the car that came off the line next,
>>right?

>I understand the VIN is also tied to other large components of the
>vehicle. As an example; the rear axle of a rental truck used in the
>OKC bombing flew a long distance and landed in the street. The numbers
>on the rear axle was directly to the VIN, make model and such.
>
>Check your state laws. Can a "totaled" car, paid out by insurance, get
>a legal title?
>
>You could sell your current used car for a higher price. Houston lost
>~500,000 cars flooded. Be careful out there. You could pay for never
>ending electrical problems.

Here in Ontario, the seller is required to produce the "sellers kit"
- dealers are not - but you can go to any Service Ontario office or
kiosk and request the "sellers information" package - at your own
expense - and it will tell you if the vehicle was ever registered
out-of-province, and the registration history of the vehicle.

A vehicle written off by insurance can be re-registered with a
"salvage" branded title - but if the write-off was out of province and
it was repaired before importation, it may not have the "branded"
title - but you WILL know it was from out of province - and quite
possiblt the last province or state it was registered in.
Old September 17th 17, 10:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 17 Sep 2017 15:57:14 -0400, micky
> wrote:

>In rec.autos.tech, on Sun, 17 Sep 2017 15:19:59 -0400, FrozenNorth
> wrote:
>
>>On 2017-09-17 2:29 PM, micky wrote:
>>> Looking to buy a car, check the VIN on carfax, and the repair history
>>> there conflicts with the seller's story about where the car has been.
>>>
>>> So maybe I copied the VIN wrong, probably just one digit, but the make
>>> and model of the car that carfax reports is the same as the one I'm
>>> looking at. Does that mean I have the right VIN?
>>>
>>> OTOH aren't the last 6 or so digits just a sequential number from the
>>> assembly line that makes, at least for a period of time, just one make
>>> and model, and maybe 2 or 3 submodels?? So that would mean that I still
>>> might have used the wrong VIN, right? If I got the last digit, or even
>>> the next to the last, I might have the car that came off the line next,
>>> right?
>>>

>>A VIN has a check digit, which will help verify the VIN, same as your
>>SSN and your credit cards, not sure if carfax checks it properly though.

>I've thought about check digits. If I made mistakes on two numbers, it
>could defeat the check digit. But I doubt I made two mistakes.

Okay, I went back to look at the car again. It's only 0.7 miles away.
That's by chance but it's good because I've been there 5 times.

And I had the number right, and not only that, it doesn't have plates
but on the front is a dealer advertising "plate" that names the dealer
where carfax says the owner had his early and late work done. (I think
he had his warranty work done there, the later work at a tire store, and
when he traded it in, he went back to the same dealer. They changed the
pully and balancer and auctioned it, around a month ago, and the guy I'm
dealing with has had it on craigslist for a little over 2 weeks.

So he's lying, but I can tolerate a little bit of lying, esp. since it's
hard to avoid. Today he said explicitly that drving to Virginia means
mostly highway driving, and he's also told me the belt and pump were
just replaced, when actually I'll need another one in 2 or 3 years.
After the deal is finished, I'll ask him if he's sure he did the belt
and pump on this car, or maybe he's thinking of another car, and maybe
he'll set me straight. I'll point out that if I wait too long, the belt
will break and the car will be in trouble, and I don't think he's
malicious, only looking for a sale. I'll try to report back.

And the town isn't 30 miles from here, it's 68, and where it is, much,
maybe most of the driving probably was highway after all, though the
seller doesn't know one way or the other. Anyhow, the car looks
beautiful, better than the more expensive ones I saw.

>Carfax pretty much has to check it becuase I'm sure it has to look at
>all 17 numbers, and if it's not there, that's what it would say.
>

>Back to my camera, the pictures are in Gallery, though how one is
>supposed to know that, I don't know. I took a new picture to make sure
>where they were going and I found the new one but nothing for weeks
>before. And once I got a message that Gallery is not available. Plus
>I've got several photos from just before those weeks where only 1/4 or
>more of the screen is photo and the rest is blanks. I think maybe
>there's a problem with the SD card. Phone is broken in other ways too.
>
>I'll know if I had the VIN right by tomorrow. I could go look right
>now, but somehow I can never read it off the dash, even with a
>flashlight.

I had the right vin. It's the story that's false. Can't have
everything.

Old September 17th 17, 11:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 17 Sep 2017 13:29:24 -0700, Oren
> wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 15:32:10 -0400, micky >
>wrote:
>
>>I did take pictures of it, at the seller's suggestion, but when I got
>>home, I couldn't find the pictures. Glad you reminded me. I'll look
>>again. The flash went off so a picture must have been taken, but I
>>always have trouble find the pictures from Android Camera.

>There is an App for that. Called Photos. I came right on your Ando
>rid OS. I moved to Open Camera. So many more features.

Sounds good. I'll look into it. Current phone broken in 2 or more ways
but new phone with more space arriving within a month.

Though I usually use a camera when I plan to take photos.
Old September 17th 17, 11:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 09/17/2017 01:10 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 16:06:07 -0400, micky >
> wrote:
>
>>In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 17 Sep 2017 19:45:36 +0000, Stormin' Norman
> wrote:
>>
>>>You can also log into Google Photos from your computer, your images
>>>should be automatically backed up to the Google account associated
>>>with the phone.

>>That's scarey. I have to check it out some day.

> I think it is great, it allows one to delete pictures from your device
> to free up space and still have the pictures available.
>
> I can't remember if it happens automatically or if you need to first
> enable the feature on the phone.

I think it happens automatically -- I would never have wanted to do this
because I only upload edited photos that I actually want to upload.
Since I don't have a data plan, it must wait until I'm logged in to my
home wifi. I don't like this, and I suppose I could defeat it, but I
don't care that much.

I transfer my photos from the phone to my computer by FTP. It works
wirelessly, but photos would frequently be damaged in transit (only half
of a photo went through, strange colors, other aberrations); never
happens if I do the same thing but plugged in via USB.

Micky, you might try reformatting your sdcard in the phone. Sometimes
**** happens for no reason at all.

--
Cheers, Bev
The stone age didn't end for lack of stones.
Old September 18th 17, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 9:20:00 AM UTC-10, FrozenNorth wrote:
> On 2017-09-17 2:29 PM, micky wrote:
> > Looking to buy a car, check the VIN on carfax, and the repair history
> > there conflicts with the seller's story about where the car has been.
> >
> > So maybe I copied the VIN wrong, probably just one digit, but the make
> > and model of the car that carfax reports is the same as the one I'm
> > looking at. Does that mean I have the right VIN?
> >
> > OTOH aren't the last 6 or so digits just a sequential number from the
> > assembly line that makes, at least for a period of time, just one make
> > and model, and maybe 2 or 3 submodels?? So that would mean that I still
> > might have used the wrong VIN, right? If I got the last digit, or even
> > the next to the last, I might have the car that came off the line next,
> > right?
> >

> A VIN has a check digit, which will help verify the VIN, same as your
> SSN and your credit cards, not sure if carfax checks it properly though.

Wouldn't the fact that it's an actual, real, VIN mean that the check digit is true?
Old September 18th 17, 05:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Xeno

On 18/09/2017 5:14 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 14:29:52 -0400, micky >
> wrote:
>
>> Looking to buy a car, check the VIN on carfax, and the repair history
>> there conflicts with the seller's story about where the car has been.
>>
>> So maybe I copied the VIN wrong, probably just one digit, but the make
>> and model of the car that carfax reports is the same as the one I'm
>> looking at. Does that mean I have the right VIN?
>>
>> OTOH aren't the last 6 or so digits just a sequential number from the
>> assembly line that makes, at least for a period of time, just one make
>> and model, and maybe 2 or 3 submodels?? So that would mean that I still
>> might have used the wrong VIN, right? If I got the last digit, or even
>> the next to the last, I might have the car that came off the line next,
>> right?

> A suggestion; in the future, use your phone to take a picture of the
> ID plate on the car. I have been doing this with all my equipment, so
> that when I need to find a manual online, I don't have to rely on my
> nearly indecipherable handwriting.

The VIN can be on up to 3 places in the car. The plate is one, a typical
stamped in number on the vehicle chassis is another often hidden under a
carpet flap. On some vehicles there is a third stamped VIN on, say, a
chassis rail externally. On a Hilux, for instance, it is on the chassis
rail behind the front RHS wheel. All locations must have a matching VIN.

--

Xeno
Old September 18th 17, 06:18 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky

In rec.autos.tech, on Sun, 17 Sep 2017 15:50:37 -0700, The Real Bev
> wrote:

>On 09/17/2017 01:10 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 16:06:07 -0400, micky >
>> wrote:

>>>That's scarey. I have to check it out some day.

>> I think it is great, it allows one to delete pictures from your device
>> to free up space and still have the pictures available.
>>
>> I can't remember if it happens automatically or if you need to first
>> enable the feature on the phone.

I've been meaning to check if they are there for months. But except for
the last 12 or so, I copied all my phone pictures to my netbook and from
there to a flash drive and from there to the desktop and the new laptop.
And they all look good, at least not damaged.

>I think it happens automatically -- I would never have wanted to do this
>because I only upload edited photos that I actually want to upload.
>Since I don't have a data plan, it must wait until I'm logged in to my
>home wifi. I don't like this, and I suppose I could defeat it, but I
>don't care that much.

>I transfer my photos from the phone to my computer by FTP. It works

How cool.

>wirelessly, but photos would frequently be damaged in transit (only half
>of a photo went through, strange colors, other aberrations); never

I wonder why.

>happens if I do the same thing but plugged in via USB.
>
>Micky, you might try reformatting your sdcard in the phone. Sometimes
>**** happens for no reason at all.

I didn't want to admit this, but I've been getting a startup warning
about my sd card since last fall. But I've been too busy and maybe
short of HDD space to copy everything off, reformat, and copy everything
back. This seems to be the first time I've ever had trouble because
of it.

It is a shame I lost parts of about 8 pictures but they were mostly long
shots, farming landscapes, with loads of sky. And maybe the flash
never did go off and maybe I never took the pictures of the VIN, I tell
myself. At any rate, I was supposed to buy the car tonight, but it's
postponed to tomorrow. After I own the car, I can take another picture.
Old September 18th 17, 09:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Steve W.[_6_]

Xeno wrote:
> On 18/09/2017 5:14 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 14:29:52 -0400, micky >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Looking to buy a car, check the VIN on carfax, and the repair history
>>> there conflicts with the seller's story about where the car has been.
>>>
>>> So maybe I copied the VIN wrong, probably just one digit, but the make
>>> and model of the car that carfax reports is the same as the one I'm
>>> looking at. Does that mean I have the right VIN?
>>>
>>> OTOH aren't the last 6 or so digits just a sequential number from the
>>> assembly line that makes, at least for a period of time, just one make
>>> and model, and maybe 2 or 3 submodels?? So that would mean that I still
>>> might have used the wrong VIN, right? If I got the last digit, or even
>>> the next to the last, I might have the car that came off the line next,
>>> right?

>> A suggestion; in the future, use your phone to take a picture of the
>> ID plate on the car. I have been doing this with all my equipment, so
>> that when I need to find a manual online, I don't have to rely on my
>> nearly indecipherable handwriting.
>>

> The VIN can be on up to 3 places in the car. The plate is one, a typical
> stamped in number on the vehicle chassis is another often hidden under a
> carpet flap. On some vehicles there is a third stamped VIN on, say, a
> chassis rail externally. On a Hilux, for instance, it is on the chassis
> rail behind the front RHS wheel. All locations must have a matching VIN.

More than that on a modern vehicle. Half of the modules have the VIN
written into memory.

--
Steve W.
Old September 18th 17, 09:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Xeno

On 18/09/2017 6:08 PM, Steve W. wrote:
> Xeno wrote:
>> On 18/09/2017 5:14 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:

>>> A suggestion; in the future, use your phone to take a picture of the
>>> ID plate on the car.Â* I have been doing this with all my equipment, so
>>> that when I need to find a manual online, I don't have to rely on my
>>> nearly indecipherable handwriting.
>>>

>> The VIN can be on up to 3 places in the car. The plate is one, a
>> typical stamped in number on the vehicle chassis is another often
>> hidden under a carpet flap. On some vehicles there is a third stamped
>> VIN on, say, a chassis rail externally. On a Hilux, for instance, it
>> is on the chassis rail behind the front RHS wheel. All locations must
>> have a matching VIN.
>>

> More than that on a modern vehicle. Half of the modules have the VIN
> written into memory.

I'm mainly concerned where they are *stamped* in.

--

Xeno
Old September 18th 17, 09:58 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 18 Sep 2017 14:48:16 +1000, Xeno
> wrote:

>The VIN can be on up to 3 places in the car. The plate is one, a typical
>stamped in number on the vehicle chassis is another often hidden under a
>carpet flap. On some vehicles there is a third stamped VIN on, say, a
>chassis rail externally. On a Hilux, for instance, it is on the chassis

What's a Hilux!

>rail behind the front RHS wheel. All locations must have a matching VIN.

My 2000 Toyota has the VIN at the bottom of every side window. 4 of
them. But the newer Toyota doesn't have that, though it does say
Toyota in dim letters at the bottom of every side window. .

Correct Transmission oil Stevoo Honda 7 June 12th 07 08:35 AM
TDC not correct 2000 bug VW water cooled 1 June 3rd 06 08:11 PM
Which newsgroup is correct? aokvw VW water cooled 3 December 24th 05 09:53 PM
I was correct Bryon Lape Simulators 2 May 6th 05 08:33 AM
Which is correct??? Spider Ford Mustang 14 December 7th 04 07:53 AM