jack pad slot height

Old September 5th 17, 06:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky

Default jack pad slot height

What good is a jackpad with a slot if the slot is not deeper than the
thing it holds? Isn't the idea that the weld area fits completely in
the slot and the car is supported on either side of the slot?

I accidentally came across a jack pad with a slot in it, so the weld
line on unibody cars doesn't hold the weight of the car when you jack it
up. And that's when I realized a) I need that, b) the jack that came
with the car has a slot, but if I jack it up at home I use a better jack
with no slot, c) there is already damage from people before me jacking
it up, and d) the drain holes in the fender could be damaged if I were
stupid enough to put the jack there.

But...... the slots range from 1/4 inch to 0.63 inches, and my pinch
weld is almost an inch high on the outside and higher yet on the inside.

What good is that?
Old September 6th 17, 08:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Tekkie®

micky posted for all of us...

> What good is a jackpad with a slot if the slot is not deeper than the
> thing it holds? Isn't the idea that the weld area fits completely in
> the slot and the car is supported on either side of the slot?
>

> I accidentally came across a jack pad with a slot in it, so the weld
> line on unibody cars doesn't hold the weight of the car when you jack it
> up. And that's when I realized a) I need that, b) the jack that came
> with the car has a slot, but if I jack it up at home I use a better jack
> with no slot, c) there is already damage from people before me jacking
> it up, and d) the drain holes in the fender could be damaged if I were
> stupid enough to put the jack there.
>
> But...... the slots range from 1/4 inch to 0.63 inches, and my pinch
> weld is almost an inch high on the outside and higher yet on the inside.
>
> What good is that?

Clare, before you reply note it is Micky...

--
Tekkie
Old September 7th 17, 01:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 6 Sep 2017 15:07:25 -0400, Tekkie®
> wrote:

>micky posted for all of us...
>

>> What good is a jackpad with a slot if the slot is not deeper than the
>> thing it holds? Isn't the idea that the weld area fits completely in
>> the slot and the car is supported on either side of the slot?
>>

>> I accidentally came across a jack pad with a slot in it, so the weld
>> line on unibody cars doesn't hold the weight of the car when you jack it
>> up. And that's when I realized a) I need that, b) the jack that came
>> with the car has a slot, but if I jack it up at home I use a better jack
>> with no slot, c) there is already damage from people before me jacking
>> it up, and d) the drain holes in the fender could be damaged if I were
>> stupid enough to put the jack there.
>>
>> But...... the slots range from 1/4 inch to 0.63 inches, and my pinch
>> weld is almost an inch high on the outside and higher yet on the inside.
>>
>> What good is that?

>Clare, before you reply note it is Micky...

Another one of your worthless posts. I guess this means you don't know
the answer.
Old September 7th 17, 10:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
AMuzi

On 9/7/2017 7:15 AM, BurfordTJustice wrote:
> You should never come out of your 'safe space"
>

> "micky" > wrote in message
>>
>> What good is a jackpad with a slot if the slot is not deeper than the
>> thing it holds? Isn't the idea that the weld area fits completely in
>> the slot and the car is supported on either side of the slot?
>>

>> I accidentally came across a jack pad with a slot in it, so the weld
>> line on unibody cars doesn't hold the weight of the car when you jack it
>> up. And that's when I realized a) I need that, b) the jack that came
>> with the car has a slot, but if I jack it up at home I use a better jack
>> with no slot, c) there is already damage from people before me jacking
>> it up, and d) the drain holes in the fender could be damaged if I were
>> stupid enough to put the jack there.
>>
>> But...... the slots range from 1/4 inch to 0.63 inches, and my pinch
>> weld is almost an inch high on the outside and higher yet on the inside.
>>
>> What good is that?

discussed here :
http://www.rockauto.com/Newsletter/

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old September 16th 17, 04:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky

In rec.autos.tech, on Thu, 07 Sep 2017 16:15:21 -0500, AMuzi
> wrote:

>> "micky" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> What good is a jackpad with a slot if the slot is not deeper than the
>>> thing it holds? Isn't the idea that the weld area fits completely in
>>> the slot and the car is supported on either side of the slot?
>>>

>>> I accidentally came across a jack pad with a slot in it, so the weld
>>> line on unibody cars doesn't hold the weight of the car when you jack it
>>> up. And that's when I realized a) I need that, b) the jack that came
>>> with the car has a slot, but if I jack it up at home I use a better jack
>>> with no slot, c) there is already damage from people before me jacking
>>> it up, and d) the drain holes in the fender could be damaged if I were
>>> stupid enough to put the jack there.
>>>
>>> But...... the slots range from 1/4 inch to 0.63 inches, and my pinch
>>> weld is almost an inch high on the outside and higher yet on the inside.
>>>
>>> What good is that?

>discussed here :
>http://www.rockauto.com/Newsletter/

This is great. Thanks. The poster says "I set the blade on my table
saw so it cuts slightly deeper than the height of the pinch weld", so he
seems to understand the idea better than any of those who make and sell
them commercially. The vendors had pictures and one or two showed that
the car was still resting on the pinch weld, inside the slot.

This mattered especially because my new 2004 Sebring had the water
drains inside the pinch weld, about 5 per side, instead of having an
opening at the rear end of the rocker panel like every other convertible
I've had, and convertibles get a lot of water between their roof and the
trunk. They're designed that way, with a gutter that runs the water to
the side. But even though I can avoid the putting the jack where a
drain is, I don't like crusing part of my car. There is already damage
from before I had the car.

Unfortunately, the engine failed on the Sebring last Sunday, after I had
the car for 10 weeks and 800 miles! That will teach me not to buy a
2.7L engine. So yesterday I bought another Solara, and even though I've
had one for 6 years, I don't remember if it has a pinch weld or not.
Old September 16th 17, 04:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Scott Dorsey

micky > wrote:
>Unfortunately, the engine failed on the Sebring last Sunday, after I had
>the car for 10 weeks and 800 miles! That will teach me not to buy a
>2.7L engine. So yesterday I bought another Solara, and even though I've
>had one for 6 years, I don't remember if it has a pinch weld or not.

So, what failed? Did the car come with a log so you could see that
maintenance had been done on it?
--scott
Old September 16th 17, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky

In rec.autos.tech, on 16 Sep 2017 11:18:14 -0400,
(Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>micky > wrote:
>>Unfortunately, the engine failed on the Sebring last Sunday, after I had
>>the car for 10 weeks and 800 miles! That will teach me not to buy a
>>2.7L engine. So yesterday I bought another Solara, and even though I've
>>had one for 6 years, I don't remember if it has a pinch weld or not.

>So, what failed? Did the car come with a log so you could see that
>maintenance had been done on it?
>--scott

No log. It was one of 4 gold Sebrings for sale on ebay motors that
week, and it was the newest, in the best cosmetic condition, and it had
only 72,000 miles. The others had more. When I got it there was a
sticker on the windhield that it had the oil changed only 1000 miles
earlier, but who knows what happened before that. I didnt' try to check
carfax, largely because I never have before, but I did this time and
even the free version has more information than I expected, at least
when the maintenance/repairs are done by a reporting shop. (What % of
shops participate in this?)

Some part inside the engine. I was only going 65 and when I got to a
toll booth, the engine stalled. And wouldn't restart. When cranked the
engine sort of jingled, like shaking a key ring. Not a single cylinder
ignited and it didn't sound like a normal engine during cranking without
ignition. My mechanic told me what a problem Chrysler 2.7L engines
were when he inspected it so I could get plates, but I've always had
good luck** with used cars, so I still wasn't worried. Even though I
lost 4000 dollars, I'm still not upset, because for 6 years I wanted a
gold Sebring, and for 10 weeks and 800 miles I had one. That's more than
most people can say.

Apparently what happens is one of the dohcams stops, the timing *chain*
stalls or breaks, and iirc it's an interference engine. I didn't worry
about that since it had a chain, not a belt, but chains break too it
seems.

Don't tell me I could have fixed it cheap. It's gone now and I don't
want to hear it. It was a nice car except I could feel every bump. So
I went back to a Solara. In the first 8 weeks I had the car, I drove
both on the same streets, and on one street, the Sebring really shook on
several places -- I couldn't see while driving what made the bump, which
was an inch long and ran the width of the road -- but in the Solara, I
felt nothing and could barely hear anything. I hate to praise the car,
which had several small things I didn't like in comparison to any of the
LeBarons, but the ride is good. They were both quiet.

I had 3 Chrysler LeBArons in a row, for 23 years, and I don't remember
their ride being rough. The Sebring was never a copy of the Lebaron --
made in a different plant I think and various things were different --
but do you think there is a chance that when daemler owned Chrysler they
changed the car to be more European, meaning, I'm told, a stiffer
suspension and the bumps I felt???

Another difference might have been that whenever I took my eyes off the
highway, to get a banana from the passensger seat, or even to adjust the
radio, I would stray into another lane??? Maybe I shouldn't do those
things but I've done them in all the other cars without leaving my lane.
Maybe I just needed more time with the car to learn how to drive
straight in highway driving even during a 5 or 10 second distraction,
but it happened almost every time. If I still had the car I'd drive it
without my hands and see how that went, but I didn't notice any other
handling problem.

**This was the 7th used car I've bought and I think only for one have I
spent more than 100 dollars on repairs in the first two years. Maybe
it's more than that but not much. The one exception needed a repaired
transmission, didn't have high gear, which I think cost me 1000, but
this was during the convertible shortage and I had to check out 12
counties in and around NYC with 15 million people to find even one I
wanted, so I would have bought it even if I'd noticed.
Old September 16th 17, 07:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> micky > wrote:
>> Unfortunately, the engine failed on the Sebring last Sunday, after I had
>> the car for 10 weeks and 800 miles! That will teach me not to buy a
>> 2.7L engine. So yesterday I bought another Solara, and even though I've
>> had one for 6 years, I don't remember if it has a pinch weld or not.

> So, what failed? Did the car come with a log so you could see that
> maintenance had been done on it?
> --scott

Broken or seized cams are common with the 2.7.
Life expectancy of that engine is about 65k miles.
The back 2 cylinders don't cool and the over heating causes the oil to
gel and sludge blocking the oil galleries to the cylinder heads.

Old September 16th 17, 07:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
micky

In rec.autos.tech, on Sat, 16 Sep 2017 13:47:35 -0500, Paul in Houston
TX > wrote:

>Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> micky > wrote:
>>> Unfortunately, the engine failed on the Sebring last Sunday, after I had
>>> the car for 10 weeks and 800 miles! That will teach me not to buy a

a Chrysler one. I haven't come across the same size by anyone else, but
there are only 21 numbers between 2 and 4.

>>> 2.7L engine. So yesterday I bought another Solara, and even though I've
>>> had one for 6 years, I don't remember if it has a pinch weld or not.

>> So, what failed? Did the car come with a log so you could see that
>> maintenance had been done on it?
>> --scott

>Broken or seized cams are common with the 2.7.
>Life expectancy of that engine is about 65k miles.
>The back 2 cylinders don't cool and the over heating causes the oil to
>gel and sludge blocking the oil galleries to the cylinder heads.

I knew about the sludge (after I bought the car) but you're the first to
talk about the back two cylinders, overheating, or gel. Interesting.
I wonder if an ice pack would have helped.
Old September 17th 17, 12:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 11:00:39 -0400, micky >
wrote:

>In rec.autos.tech, on Thu, 07 Sep 2017 16:15:21 -0500, AMuzi
> wrote:

>>discussed here :
>>http://www.rockauto.com/Newsletter/

>This is great. Thanks. The poster says "I set the blade on my table
>saw so it cuts slightly deeper than the height of the pinch weld", so he
>seems to understand the idea better than any of those who make and sell
>them commercially. The vendors had pictures and one or two showed that
>the car was still resting on the pinch weld, inside the slot.
>
>This mattered especially because my new 2004 Sebring had the water
>drains inside the pinch weld, about 5 per side, instead of having an
>opening at the rear end of the rocker panel like every other convertible
>I've had, and convertibles get a lot of water between their roof and the
>trunk. They're designed that way, with a gutter that runs the water to
>the side. But even though I can avoid the putting the jack where a
>drain is, I don't like crusing part of my car. There is already damage
>from before I had the car.
>
>Unfortunately, the engine failed on the Sebring last Sunday, after I had
>the car for 10 weeks and 800 miles! That will teach me not to buy a
>2.7L engine. So yesterday I bought another Solara, and even though I've
>had one for 6 years, I don't remember if it has a pinch weld or not.

I'm not usually none to say "i told you so" but I DID say "it looks
good on your driveway" or something very similar. - - - -

jack pad slot height micky Technology 0 September 4th 17 09:02 PM
1996 Accord - Correct points for scissor jack and jack stands? [email protected] Honda 0 June 14th 14 08:41 PM
Jack Brabham - 1966 dutch gp - winner jack brabham (brabham bt19-repco).jpg Remic Auto Photos 0 May 20th 14 02:54 AM
1995 BMW 318ic Jack Lift...where to put the jack? BeeRich BMW 5 March 17th 10 10:24 PM
What automobile jack in lieu of the supplied scissor jack? Howard Lester[_1_] Honda 8 June 6th 07 06:48 PM