jack pad slot height

Old September 4th 17, 09:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
micky

Default jack pad slot height

What good is a jackpad with a slot if the slot is not deeper than the
thing it holds? Isn't the idea that the weld area fits completely in
the slot and the car is supported on either side of the slot?

I accidentally came across a jack pad with a slot in it, so the weld
line on unibody cars doesn't hold the weight of the car when you jack it
up. And that's when I realized a) I need that, b) the jack that came
with the car has a slot, but if I jack it up at home I use a better jack
with no slot, c) there is already damage from people before me jacking
it up, and d) the drain holes in the fender could be damaged if I were
stupid enough to put the jack there.

But...... the slots range from 1/4 inch to 0.63 inches, and my pinch
weld is almost an inch high on the outside and higher yet on the inside.

What good is that?