water filter for washing car?

Old September 19th 13, 01:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default water filter for washing car?

On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 10:30:09 PM UTC-5, jim beam wrote:
> On 09/18/2013 08:08 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
>
> > wrote:

> >> I know this sounds crazy but I am wanting to experiment with a filter

> >> and housing to use attached to my spigot outside my pole barn garage.

> >> The purpose would be to wash my cars so there are no water spots and

> >> no need to dry them. I have three vehicles and it takes alot of time

> >> to wash them. Also, drying over time can leave spider web scratches

> >> if you are not extremely careful.

> >> Is there a filter or housing you recommend? Is it possible to mount a

> >> filter housing outside even in freezing weather?

> > Google research "reverse osmosis" filter system.

> > It will remove nearly everything.

> > 3 gallons tap water = 1 gallon purified.

> > I suppose you could use it outside in freezing weather

> > as long as you keep it always heated.

> > Frozen water expands and destroys things.

> i can't believe this thread's for real. just wipe the freakin' car down
>
> with a chamois. that's what they're for. if you even care.
>

> --
>
> fact check required

Drying takes time and I have a new vehicle. Over time you can get spider web scratches so I was trying to think of a way to keep a vehicle clean by touching it as little as possible.
Old September 19th 13, 04:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 09/18/2013 09:50 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
> jim beam wrote:

>>> Google research "reverse osmosis" filter system.
>>> It will remove nearly everything.
>>> 3 gallons tap water = 1 gallon purified.
>>>
>>> I suppose you could use it outside in freezing weather
>>> as long as you keep it always heated.
>>> Frozen water expands and destroys things.

>> i can't believe this thread's for real. just wipe the freakin' car
>> down with a chamois. that's what they're for. if you even care.

> Well, its a fun thread ruminating about nothing serious.

you have a point - we're not trying to use toilet plumbing as an
illustrative analogy for an induction motor.

--
fact check required
Old September 19th 13, 04:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

wrote:

>>> Google research "reverse osmosis" filter system.

>>> It will remove nearly everything.

>>> 3 gallons tap water = 1 gallon purified.

>>> I suppose you could use it outside in freezing weather

>>> as long as you keep it always heated.

>>> Frozen water expands and destroys things.

>> i can't believe this thread's for real. just wipe the freakin' car down
>>
>> with a chamois. that's what they're for. if you even care.
>>

>> --
>>
>> fact check required

> Drying takes time and I have a new vehicle. Over time you can get spider web scratches

you don't get those from drying, you get those from washing. wash from
the top down - only. you'll always see people wash a quarter, then move
on to the next section. problem is, the lower part of the car is
covered in grit so their wash cloth takes grit from a lower section to
an upper more visible section and causes the scratching. if you start
at the top, then windows, then hood, then upper doors and trunk, then
lower doors and fenders, cloth contamination remains limited to whatever
is already present in that location.

then hose and wipe, same sequence.

you'll never eliminate grit if you drive a car on the road, but you can
mitigate it. always use a new/laundered cloth. squeezing it and
letting it dry just retains the grit.

and don't wash so often. each time you wash, you grit.

> so I was trying to think of a way to keep a vehicle clean by touching it as little as possible.

just get one in a different color that doesn't show as much. seriously,
constant cleaning causes paint problems. it's a soft polymer that can't
take constant abrasion.

--
fact check required
Old September 19th 13, 04:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 7:53:34 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> I know this sounds crazy but I am wanting to experiment with a filter and housing to use attached to my spigot outside my pole barn garage. The purpose would be to wash my cars so there are no water spots and no need to dry them. I have three vehicles and it takes alot of time to wash them. Also, drying over time can leave spider web scratches if you are not extremely careful.
>

> Is there a filter or housing you recommend? Is it possible to mount a filter housing outside even in freezing weather?

I drive alot though and wash my car every week. I do wash it from the top down and launder the mash cloth.

Like I said drying adds another step of rubbing to it I was hoping to avoid..
Old September 20th 13, 01:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Thursday, September 19, 2013 11:00:38 AM UTC-5, jim beam wrote:
> On 09/19/2013 08:58 AM, wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 7:53:34 AM UTC-5, wrote:

> >> I know this sounds crazy but I am wanting to experiment with a filter and housing to use attached to my spigot outside my pole barn garage. The purpose would be to wash my cars so there are no water spots and no need to dry them. I have three vehicles and it takes alot of time to wash them. Also, drying over time can leave spider web scratches if you are not extremely careful.

> Is it possible to clean your car by not even touching it? I mean maybe with a sprayer of some type with a soap dispenser built into it?
> >>

> >> Is there a filter or housing you recommend? Is it possible to mount a filter housing outside even in freezing weather?

> > I drive alot though and wash my car every week. I do wash it from the top down and launder the mash cloth.

> > Like I said drying adds another step of rubbing to it I was hoping to avoid.

> when the car's already clean and you're using a clean cloth, drying is
>
> not scratching your car.
>

> --
>
> fact check required

water blocking fuel filter? [email protected] Technology 2 February 10th 13 04:45 AM
Windshield Washing. [email protected] Technology 6 November 5th 07 11:50 PM
washing [email protected] General 0 November 2nd 07 11:01 PM
Bra, Washing & Maintenance Itsfrom Click Ford Mustang 2 May 11th 06 03:18 AM
Car washing products Cam Newton Audi 4 July 22nd 04 07:26 PM