water filter for washing car?

Old September 18th 13, 01:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default water filter for washing car?

I know this sounds crazy but I am wanting to experiment with a filter and housing to use attached to my spigot outside my pole barn garage. The purpose would be to wash my cars so there are no water spots and no need to dry them. I have three vehicles and it takes alot of time to wash them. Also, drying over time can leave spider web scratches if you are not extremely careful.

Is there a filter or housing you recommend? Is it possible to mount a filter housing outside even in freezing weather?
Old September 18th 13, 02:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

> wrote:
>I know this sounds crazy but I am wanting to experiment with a filter and h=
>ousing to use attached to my spigot outside my pole barn garage. The purpos=
>e would be to wash my cars so there are no water spots and no need to dry t=
>hem. I have three vehicles and it takes alot of time to wash them. Also, dr=
>ying over time can leave spider web scratches if you are not extremely care=
>ful.

Is your water well water or city water? How hard is it?

>Is there a filter or housing you recommend? Is it possible to mount a filte=
>r housing outside even in freezing weather?

Yeah, but you need to drain the whole system in the fall before it gets cold.
And you need to remember to do it every year.

Griot's Garage has a water filter kit, I know. If your problem is hard water
and not sediment, a water softener will be necessary. You can probably get
a small volume kit at a good hardware store.
--scott
Old September 18th 13, 02:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 8:00:07 AM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> > wrote:
>
> >I know this sounds crazy but I am wanting to experiment with a filter and h=

> >ousing to use attached to my spigot outside my pole barn garage. The purpos=

> >e would be to wash my cars so there are no water spots and no need to dry t=

> >hem. I have three vehicles and it takes alot of time to wash them. Also, dr=

> >ying over time can leave spider web scratches if you are not extremely care=

> >ful.

It is city wter. Mainly hard water. I actually do not think it is bad but it does leave water spots. I have heard of people using resin type filters that has media that is rechargeable.

I just need to save time and do a better job.

> Is your water well water or city water? How hard is it?
>

> >Is there a filter or housing you recommend? Is it possible to mount a filte=

> >r housing outside even in freezing weather?

> Yeah, but you need to drain the whole system in the fall before it gets cold.
>
> And you need to remember to do it every year.
>

> Griot's Garage has a water filter kit, I know. If your problem is hard water
>
> and not sediment, a water softener will be necessary. You can probably get
>
> a small volume kit at a good hardware store.
>
> --scott

water blocking fuel filter? [email protected] Technology 2 February 10th 13 05:45 AM
Windshield Washing. [email protected] Technology 6 November 6th 07 12:50 AM
washing [email protected] General 0 November 3rd 07 12:01 AM
Bra, Washing & Maintenance Itsfrom Click Ford Mustang 2 May 11th 06 03:18 AM
Car washing products Cam Newton Audi 4 July 22nd 04 07:26 PM