Anyone know of an inexpensive K+CAN obd2 diagnostic cable (orK+DCAN) with pins 7 and 8 intact?

Old September 15th 13, 05:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Homer.Simpson[_2_]

Default Anyone know of an inexpensive K+CAN obd2 diagnostic cable (or K+DCAN) with pins 7 and 8 intact?

T0m $herman said

> On 9/14/2013 8:05 PM, Homer.Simpson wrote:
>> Geoff Welsh said

>> I know several Bimmer owners who ARE dipsticks. :-)
>>
>>> +1 !
>>>
>>> GW
>>>

> I find Beemer owners to generally be of a better class than Bimmer
> owners.

I could see that. It's harder to appear stuffy and aloof on a Beemer.

(Awaiting the flames this thread will surely create) :-)
Old September 15th 13, 07:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
jim beam[_4_]

On 09/15/2013 09:54 AM, Homer.Simpson wrote:
> T0m $herman said
>
>> On 9/14/2013 8:05 PM, Homer.Simpson wrote:
>>> Geoff Welsh said

>>> I know several Bimmer owners who ARE dipsticks. :-)

>> I find Beemer owners to generally be of a better class than Bimmer
>> owners.

> I could see that. It's harder to appear stuffy and aloof on a Beemer.
>
> (Awaiting the flames this thread will surely create) :-)

motorcycle people are generally a more aware section of society in
general. there's nothing like mortality awareness to keep your focus on
the stuff that matters.

--
fact check required
Old September 16th 13, 01:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 09/14/2013 01:19 AM, T0m $herman wrote:
> On 9/7/2013 4:47 PM, Jordan wrote:
>> So I would think almost everyone who owns the 1997 to 2003 5-series
>> BMW would already know about which dual-K KCAN cables work best with
>> INPA, DIS, & EDIABAS.

> I would think 99% of 5-series owners would not have a clue to what this
> is all about. Heck, I have known some Bimmer owners who would not know
> how to find and read a dipstick.

Trick question - you check the oil level through the iDrive screen

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old September 17th 13, 01:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
dsi1[_10_]

On 9/16/2013 2:51 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
> On 09/14/2013 01:19 AM, T0m $herman wrote:
>> On 9/7/2013 4:47 PM, Jordan wrote:
>>> So I would think almost everyone who owns the 1997 to 2003 5-series
>>> BMW would already know about which dual-K KCAN cables work best with
>>> INPA, DIS, & EDIABAS.

>> I would think 99% of 5-series owners would not have a clue to what this
>> is all about. Heck, I have known some Bimmer owners who would not know
>> how to find and read a dipstick.
>>

> Trick question - you check the oil level through the iDrive screen
>
> nate

My brother thinks that the oil pressure light tells you when you need
oil. In a way, he's right, I suppose.
Old September 17th 13, 01:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
T0m $herman

On 9/16/2013 7:51 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
> On 09/14/2013 01:19 AM, T0m $herman wrote:
>> On 9/7/2013 4:47 PM, Jordan wrote:
>>> So I would think almost everyone who owns the 1997 to 2003 5-series
>>> BMW would already know about which dual-K KCAN cables work best with
>>> INPA, DIS, & EDIABAS.

>> I would think 99% of 5-series owners would not have a clue to what this
>> is all about. Heck, I have known some Bimmer owners who would not know
>> how to find and read a dipstick.
>>

> Trick question - you check the oil level through the iDrive screen
>
> nate

I prefer a dipstick to a sight glass - particularly on a motorcycle
without a center-stand. The dipstick also lets you see the color of the
oil.

Then there is Denise McCluggage, who reported having lots of men look at
her like she was stupid for having chains on the front wheels and
pouring oil in the gas tank - of course she was driving a SAAB 96.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old September 17th 13, 01:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Scott Dorsey

T0m $herman > wrote:
>On 9/7/2013 4:47 PM, Jordan wrote:
>> So I would think almost everyone who owns the 1997 to 2003 5-series
>> BMW would already know about which dual-K KCAN cables work best with
>> INPA, DIS, & EDIABAS.

>I would think 99% of 5-series owners would not have a clue to what this
>is all about. Heck, I have known some Bimmer owners who would not know
>how to find and read a dipstick.

Sadly, this is generalizable to most car owners in general today.
--scott
Old September 19th 13, 03:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Pat[_8_]

On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 00:19:51 -0500, T0m $herman wrote:

> I would think 99% of 5-series owners would not have a clue to what this is
> all about. Heck, I have known some Bimmer owners who would not know how
> to find and read a dipstick.

I would agree but some bimmer owners do their own maintenance.

Maybe not as much as the beamer owners, but they can do dealer diagnostics
at home with INPA and they can code the vehicle in their garage.

Old September 19th 13, 03:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tony Hwang

Pat wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 00:19:51 -0500, T0m $herman wrote:
>
>> I would think 99% of 5-series owners would not have a clue to what this is
>> all about. Heck, I have known some Bimmer owners who would not know how
>> to find and read a dipstick.

> I would agree but some bimmer owners do their own maintenance.
>
> Maybe not as much as the beamer owners, but they can do dealer diagnostics
> at home with INPA and they can code the vehicle in their garage.

Hi,
Some at Bimmer forum will know better for this info.
Yes, my friend has M and he does lot of work himself on it.
2 years ago local dealer sent him to Germany when he ordered
the vehicle.
Old September 19th 13, 06:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

In article >, Pat > wrote:
>On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 00:19:51 -0500, T0m $herman wrote:
>
>> I would think 99% of 5-series owners would not have a clue to what this is
>> all about. Heck, I have known some Bimmer owners who would not know how
>> to find and read a dipstick.

>I would agree but some bimmer owners do their own maintenance.
>
>Maybe not as much as the beamer owners, but they can do dealer diagnostics
>at home with INPA and they can code the vehicle in their garage.

Codes? I just clean the carb now and then. Who needs codes?
--scott
Old September 20th 13, 08:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

You can always try the Chinese site www.alibaba.com got a cheap code reader for the PC there.