Mid section of the exhaust is toast, cat converter a suspect? or justthe age...

Old August 21st 13, 10:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Caution. Low flying golf balls.

On Monday, August 19, 2013 5:24:03 PM UTC+3, JR wrote:
> On Monday, August 19, 2013 3:05:36 AM UTC-5, wrote:

> > > The problem can be fixed for $1.00:

> > > <http://www.legendaryusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BL0002&utm_source=g oogle&utm_medium=CSE&utm_term=BL0002&utm_campaign= BROI&click=25391%20&gdftrk=gdfV25409_a_7c1799_a_7c 6830_a_7cBL0002>.

> > I hate the ****ers with fart cans. I live in a housing development

> > that is far from the "through" streets and yet I hear the owners

> > of fart cans reving their engine well past the 5k at night.

> > The cops around here could not care less about the schmucks

> > tinkering with their exhaust systems.

> > I think I'll get a scoped 9.3x73R implement to have a good night pasttime

> > when I retire. That or a good golf set coupled with a rooftop access.

> > The neighbours might be happier unless I get the 9.3 muffled

> > (would get you in trouble with ATF in the states I understand,

> > here it's probably simply unobtanium)

> > Is there a pneumatic golf ball cannon or smth to avoid having odds with

> > leo of any kind?

> I once saw an elderly guy in Florida who had a lamp cord taped to one of his golf clubs. He said that was his electric golf club.

I don't get it: he liked to get himself electricuted from time to time
through that club or what?
Old August 21st 13, 11:34 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Mid section of the exhaust is toast, cat converter a suspect? orjust the age...

On Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:27:18 PM UTC+3, jim beam wrote:
> On 08/13/2013 06:00 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>
> > In article >,

> > > wrote:

> >> 133k miles

> >> got it at 118k two years ago and the carfax was clean with 1 owner

> >> for whom going for maintenance was a religious routine

> > Sounds about reasonable if it's got some short drives on it. With regular

> > highway driving the exhaust system will tend to last longer because it will

> > spend more time hot and bake all that moisture out.

> >> ok, but the cat being gone does not affect the temperatures

> >> I'm seeing in the exhaust midsection or does it?

> > When the cat is gone, the exhaust system temperatures will be substantially

> > lower than normal, and that might cause the system to rust a bit faster.

> > Or maybe not. Either way, I wouldn't worry about it.

> >> Well, I guess I should not have saved on the clamp for the front of the midsection then. Dealer wants $40. I've got an aftermaket one for about $13.

> >> That 4" pipe is stainless but the clamps do not instill any confidence in me.

> >> I wonder why the heck the clamp can be had while the resonator is unobtanium.

> >> Maybe the clamp is a B5 carryover (aftermarket B5 exhausts do exist around here)

> > It's probably used on a whole bunch of models, actually. But be aware that

> > "stainless" isn't "stainless." Stainless is three unrelated families of

> > different materials with thousands of different types that have different

> > properties. Your mufflers and resonator were both "stainless" but clearly

> > one material lasted a long longer than the other.

> a popular exhaust "stainless" is in fact an aluminized mild steel. it's
>
> an effective long lasting solution against external corrosion but has
>
> two weaknesses:
>

> 1. it's usually a seamed pipe, and the seam is not aluminized and thus
>
> rusts. same for welds.
>

> 2. the internals are not protected at all and if, as you say, the
>
> interior doesn't get regularly hot, acidic water condensates can corrode
>
> through relatively fast.
>

> but the main benefit, apart from price, is that it's not subject to
>
> pitting like some of the ferritic stainless "exhaust" grades.

> >> I would, xept the 4" of ground clearance makes me wonder if I

> >> have enough patience to drive it in the current road conditions.

> > It's a fun car to drive. I'd keep it and get a winter beater.

> i'd get an older toyota 4x4 as a winter beater. lacking creature
>
> comforts, and subject to their own myriad issues, but seemingly
>
> impervious to depreciation, huge hardcore following/knowledge base, and
>
> great ground clearance, even stock.

well, where I live I'd be hardpressed to find a toyota pickup
cheap enough for a beater. contemplating this contraption:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv61ijG4B10

but given that russians never pay tribute to modern steels
I wonder if I should compromise my safety (tensile strength is
not smth you'd brag about) and gamble
with the rust resistance of the cage on that thing

but given that it costs new as much as (or less than) an imported subcompact I'm tempted
(I plan to stay off the frozen riverbeds)
Old August 21st 13, 07:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 5:34:23 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:27:18 PM UTC+3, jim beam wrote:
>
> > On 08/13/2013 06:00 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> > > In article >,

> > > Sounds about reasonable if it's got some short drives on it. With regular

> > > highway driving the exhaust system will tend to last longer because it will

> > > spend more time hot and bake all that moisture out.

> > > When the cat is gone, the exhaust system temperatures will be substantially

> > > lower than normal, and that might cause the system to rust a bit faster.

> > > Or maybe not. Either way, I wouldn't worry about it.

> > > It's probably used on a whole bunch of models, actually. But be aware that

> > > "stainless" isn't "stainless." Stainless is three unrelated families of

> > > different materials with thousands of different types that have different

> > > properties. Your mufflers and resonator were both "stainless" but clearly

> > > one material lasted a long longer than the other.

> > a popular exhaust "stainless" is in fact an aluminized mild steel. it's

> > an effective long lasting solution against external corrosion but has

> > two weaknesses:

> > 1. it's usually a seamed pipe, and the seam is not aluminized and thus

> > rusts. same for welds.

> > 2. the internals are not protected at all and if, as you say, the

> > interior doesn't get regularly hot, acidic water condensates can corrode

> > through relatively fast.

> > but the main benefit, apart from price, is that it's not subject to

> > pitting like some of the ferritic stainless "exhaust" grades.

> > > It's a fun car to drive. I'd keep it and get a winter beater.

> > i'd get an older toyota 4x4 as a winter beater. lacking creature

> > comforts, and subject to their own myriad issues, but seemingly

> > impervious to depreciation, huge hardcore following/knowledge base, and

> > great ground clearance, even stock.

> well, where I live I'd be hardpressed to find a toyota pickup
>
> cheap enough for a beater. contemplating this contraption:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv61ijG4B10
>

> but given that russians never pay tribute to modern steels
>
> I wonder if I should compromise my safety (tensile strength is
>
> not smth you'd brag about) and gamble
>
> with the rust resistance of the cage on that thing
>

> but given that it costs new as much as (or less than) an imported subcompact I'm tempted
>
> (I plan to stay off the frozen riverbeds)

Back around 1970 I bought a 1962 Ford Falcon car, six cylinder, manual shift. Not long after that I replaced that engine, but before I put the muffler back on, that car would make some 'satisfying backfireing sounds'. Ever since then I don't do any 'back fireing with my vehicles.
Old August 21st 13, 07:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

On 8/21/2013 1:27 PM, JR wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 5:34:23 AM UTC-5, wrote:

>>> a popular exhaust "stainless" is in fact an aluminized mild steel. it's

>>> an effective long lasting solution against external corrosion but has

>>> two weaknesses:

>>> 1. it's usually a seamed pipe, and the seam is not aluminized and thus

>>> rusts. same for welds.

>>> 2. the internals are not protected at all and if, as you say, the

>>> interior doesn't get regularly hot, acidic water condensates can corrode

>>> through relatively fast.

>>> but the main benefit, apart from price, is that it's not subject to

>>> pitting like some of the ferritic stainless "exhaust" grades.

>>> i'd get an older toyota 4x4 as a winter beater. lacking creature

>>> comforts, and subject to their own myriad issues, but seemingly

>>> impervious to depreciation, huge hardcore following/knowledge base, and

>>> great ground clearance, even stock.

>> well, where I live I'd be hardpressed to find a toyota pickup
>>
>> cheap enough for a beater. contemplating this contraption:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv61ijG4B10
>>

>> but given that russians never pay tribute to modern steels
>>
>> I wonder if I should compromise my safety (tensile strength is
>>
>> not smth you'd brag about) and gamble
>>
>> with the rust resistance of the cage on that thing
>>

>> but given that it costs new as much as (or less than) an imported subcompact I'm tempted
>>
>> (I plan to stay off the frozen riverbeds)

> Back around 1970 I bought a 1962 Ford Falcon car, six cylinder, manual shift. Not long after that I replaced that engine, but before I put the muffler back on, that car would make some 'satisfying backfireing sounds'. Ever since then I don't do any 'back fireing with my vehicles.

I too have fond memories of a lovely powder blue 1962 Falcon.
Here's an extraordinary one:

http://i.imgur.com/YW6Fufm.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old August 21st 13, 10:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 1:37:16 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
> On 8/21/2013 1:27 PM, JR wrote:

> >> well, where I live I'd be hardpressed to find a toyota pickup

> >> cheap enough for a beater. contemplating this contraption:

> >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv61ijG4B10

> >> but given that russians never pay tribute to modern steels

> >> I wonder if I should compromise my safety (tensile strength is

> >> not smth you'd brag about) and gamble

> >> with the rust resistance of the cage on that thing

> >> but given that it costs new as much as (or less than) an imported subcompact I'm tempted

> >> (I plan to stay off the frozen riverbeds)

> > Back around 1970 I bought a 1962 Ford Falcon car, six cylinder, manual shift. Not long after that I replaced that engine, but before I put the muffler back on, that car would make some 'satisfying backfireing sounds'. Ever since then I don't do any 'back fireing with my vehicles.

> I too have fond memories of a lovely powder blue 1962 Falcon.
>
> Here's an extraordinary one:
>

> http://i.imgur.com/YW6Fufm.jpg
>

> --
>
> Andrew Muzi
>
> <www.yellowjersey.org/>
>
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

That's a Tree House.
Old August 22nd 13, 01:38 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

wrote:

>>> the middle bottle ("resonator") in my A4 B6

>>> is toast beyond repair and there does not seem to be

>>> an aftermarket can available.

>> Can you just go to some muffler shop and have them weld in some
>>
>> generic muffler? What's so special about the factory one? Do you
>>
>> even need it, can it be replaced with a straight piece of pipe?
>>

> it splits a single from the engine into two pipes for a muffler
> on each end of the rear of the car.

which is a fundamentally retarded concept in the first place. and tells
you a whole lot about its design principles...

> maybe you are right and there is a generic bottleless Y splitter
> that I could use to save $450.

just face it - if you're driving a car that has a 1-2 split in the
exhaust, you're destined to pay through the nose for it for the rest of
its life - the vehicle is the product of marketing, not engineering, and
it's designed to suck the contents of your wallet accordingly.

--
fact check required
Old August 22nd 13, 02:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 17:38:37 -0700, jim beam > wrote:

>just face it - if you're driving a car that has a 1-2 split in the
>exhaust, you're destined to pay through the nose for it for the rest of
>its life - the vehicle is the product of marketing, not engineering, and
>it's designed to suck the contents of your wallet accordingly.

Only if you want to. Just about any muffler shop can cheaply make up
a good exhaust with common parts - if the cat isn't somehow tied to
engine controls, requiring dealer parts, and you need a cat.
Last year when my '93 Grand Am got loud I had everything cat-back torn
out - dual mufflers, and maybe "resonators" - and a single muffler put
in. Shop had to do some welding.
No dummy exhaust tip for the missing muffler. Like I care.
Nice and quiet now. $198. Seemed fair.
Old August 22nd 13, 03:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
T0m $herman

On 8/21/2013 7:38 PM, jim beam wrote:

> just face it - if you're driving a car that has a 1-2 split in the
> exhaust, you're destined to pay through the nose for it for the rest of
> its life - the vehicle is the product of marketing, not engineering, and
> it's designed to suck the contents of your wallet accordingly.

But nothing says "I'm retarded" quite like dual stacks on a car.

<http://spydersden.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/rednecktruck-500x357.jpg?w=640>

--
T0m $herm@n
Old August 22nd 13, 03:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
T0m $herman

On 8/21/2013 5:34 AM, wrote:

> well, where I live I'd be hardpressed to find a toyota pickup
> cheap enough for a beater. contemplating this contraption:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv61ijG4B10

How much does it cost to house and feed 16 Russians?

This is the Russian vehicle I really want:
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlISYOVgx80>.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old August 22nd 13, 03:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 08/21/2013 07:11 PM, T0m $herman wrote:
> On 8/21/2013 7:38 PM, jim beam wrote:
>>
>> just face it - if you're driving a car that has a 1-2 split in the
>> exhaust, you're destined to pay through the nose for it for the rest of
>> its life - the vehicle is the product of marketing, not engineering, and
>> it's designed to suck the contents of your wallet accordingly.

> But nothing says "I'm retarded" quite like dual stacks on a car.
>
> <http://spydersden.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/rednecktruck-500x357.jpg?w=640>

ye gods. but at least it's a v-motor - hopefully there's one stack
connected to each bank.

--
fact check required

From whiskey to burnt toast... Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_3_] Technology 11 August 30th 10 02:58 AM
toast Jack[_4_] Ford Explorer 0 June 22nd 08 06:06 AM
Audi 100 Transmission is toast Stephen Clark Audi 4 May 23rd 08 06:12 PM
98 Odyssey exhaust rattle -- catalytic converter? Doug B Honda 3 September 12th 06 10:22 PM