98 concorde starting problems

Old July 23rd 05, 03:35 AM
xmirage2kx

Default 98 concorde starting problems

I have a 1998 chrysler concorde LXi. Every so often it wont start, and
its happening more and more. so far there are only 2 conditions that
it wont start that often. when its low on gas, and when its hot. about
80% of the time when its above 70 or a sunny day even it just wont
start. I have had the plugs changed, battery, checked compression,
etc.

heres what happens: then engine will turn over, it just wont start.
every so often it does start, and it feels like its missing quite a
bit (3-4 cylinders). then other times it runs like a champ. aften it
gets running (even when it feels like its missing) I rev the engine a
few mins and it will run fine till its off.

I have taken it to many mechanics, spent close to $1k fixing it, and
everytime i get it back, the mechanics either cant find the problem,
or tinker with this/that and say they fixed it. PLEASE any suggestions
would be great.
my guess would be a fuel problem, but ive been told the fuel system is
fine.

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Chrysler-9...ict130227.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=634475
Old July 23rd 05, 03:47 AM
Bill Putney

xmirage2kx wrote:
> I have a 1998 chrysler concorde LXi. Every so often it wont start, and
> its happening more and more. so far there are only 2 conditions that
> it wont start that often. when its low on gas, and when its hot. about
> 80% of the time when its above 70 or a sunny day even it just wont
> start. I have had the plugs changed, battery, checked compression,
> etc.
>
> heres what happens: then engine will turn over, it just wont start.
> every so often it does start, and it feels like its missing quite a
> bit (3-4 cylinders). then other times it runs like a champ. aften it
> gets running (even when it feels like its missing) I rev the engine a
> few mins and it will run fine till its off.
>
> I have taken it to many mechanics, spent close to $1k fixing it, and
> everytime i get it back, the mechanics either cant find the problem,
> or tinker with this/that and say they fixed it. PLEASE any suggestions
> would be great.
> my guess would be a fuel problem, but ive been told the fuel system is
> fine.

Have it checked for codes.

Has anyone mentioned crank or cam position sensors to you? Also, if the
problem is intermittent, I don't see how someone could rule out fuel
system (pump) - unless they caught it in the act of failing and
determined that the pump was indeed working when it wouldn't start, in
which case they should have been able to isolate the problem.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old July 23rd 05, 06:18 AM
Steve B.

On 22 Jul 2005 22:35:48 -0400, xmirage2kx
> wrote:

>I have taken it to many mechanics, spent close to $1k fixing it, and
>everytime i get it back, the mechanics either cant find the problem,
>or tinker with this/that and say they fixed it. PLEASE any suggestions
>would be great.
>my guess would be a fuel problem, but ive been told the fuel system is
>fine.

These intermittent problems sure stink. My gut feeling is that you
have a fuel problem but that is purely speculation. If it won't act
up for the mechanic and there are no codes it really is hella hard to
fix.

You might get a fuel pressure gauge so next time it won't start you
can hook it up and see what the fuel pressure is. Also get a can of
starting fluid and see if you can get a little bit of a start with
that.

If the fuel pressure is fine then you know the pump is good.

If it doesn't try to start with starting fluid then you know that
spark is missing.

If it does try to start with starting fluid and the fuel pressure is
good then you know the injectors are not firing.

Not a great deal of help but it makes it a lot easier if the mechanic
at least has an idea of which system to troubleshot.

Steve B.
Old July 23rd 05, 10:17 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"xmirage2kx" > wrote in message
news:1_634475_9ba02b3f843dce7ad306d886403e451c@aut oforumz.com...
> I have a 1998 chrysler concorde LXi. Every so often it wont start, and
> its happening more and more. so far there are only 2 conditions that
> it wont start that often. when its low on gas, and when its hot. about
> 80% of the time when its above 70 or a sunny day even it just wont
> start. I have had the plugs changed, battery, checked compression,
> etc.

OK, this calls for going back to the basics in troubleshooting on this
engine.

Wait till it's hot and having difficulty starting. You may have to carry
a small tool set with you if you drive it somewhere.

When you go to start it and it doesen't catch on the first few
revolutions, stop the engine, open the hood, connect a fuel pressure
guage to the fuel pressure diagnostic port, then have an assistant
try cranking and watch the guage. The needle should immediately snap
to pressure and remain at pressure as long as your cranking.
Then stop, and pull a spark plug boot, plug it into a spare plug,
hold the plug with heavy gloves to the block, have the assistant
crank a few times more. See if you got good spark. Next,
stop trying to crank, (by now you should have been cranking it
about a minute with all the testing your doing) turn off car,
pull out one of the spark plugs and check to see if it's wet with
fuel.

If you don't have good pressure it's the pump, or a restriction in
the gas line or filter or some such.

If you don't have good spark it's ignition (electrical ignition parts
are sensitive to heat)

If the spark plug you pull out is wet with fuel, and you have good
fuel pressure and good spark, then it's the timing, crank sensor or
some such. If the plug is dry then the injectors aren't firing.

Last but not least, how many miles on this car and how has it's
oiling been handled during it's lifetime? You could be looking at
a timing chain that has slipped. This can be checked by a
competent mechanic.

Ted

Old July 23rd 05, 10:42 AM
maxpower

"xmirage2kx" > wrote in message
news:1_634475_9ba02b3f843dce7ad306d886403e451c@aut oforumz.com...
> I have a 1998 chrysler concorde LXi. Every so often it wont start, and
> its happening more and more. so far there are only 2 conditions that
> it wont start that often. when its low on gas, and when its hot. about
> 80% of the time when its above 70 or a sunny day even it just wont
> start. I have had the plugs changed, battery, checked compression,
> etc.
>
> heres what happens: then engine will turn over, it just wont start.
> every so often it does start, and it feels like its missing quite a
> bit (3-4 cylinders). then other times it runs like a champ. aften it
> gets running (even when it feels like its missing) I rev the engine a
> few mins and it will run fine till its off.
>
> I have taken it to many mechanics, spent close to $1k fixing it, and
> everytime i get it back, the mechanics either cant find the problem,
> or tinker with this/that and say they fixed it. PLEASE any suggestions
> would be great.
> my guess would be a fuel problem, but ive been told the fuel system is
> fine.
>
> --
> Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
> Topic URL:

http://www.autoforumz.com/Chrysler-9...ict130227.html

http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=634475

My guess would be cam/crank sensor, What's the mileage on this vehicle? Has
the vehicle ever cut off as you are driving it or is it just a no start
first thing in the morning or first start of the day? Were there any fault
codes found when the vehicle was in the shop? O , what engine?

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old July 23rd 05, 02:30 PM
tim bur

does it have a 2.7 engine
if it does the timing has to be checked

Old July 23rd 05, 02:38 PM
maxpower

"tim bur" > wrote in message
> does it have a 2.7 engine
> if it does the timing has to be checked
>
> xmirage2kx wrote:
>
> > I have a 1998 chrysler concorde LXi. Every so often it wont start, and
> > its happening more and more. so far there are only 2 conditions that
> > it wont start that often. when its low on gas, and when its hot. about
> > 80% of the time when its above 70 or a sunny day even it just wont
> > start. I have had the plugs changed, battery, checked compression,
> > etc.
> >
> > heres what happens: then engine will turn over, it just wont start.
> > every so often it does start, and it feels like its missing quite a
> > bit (3-4 cylinders). then other times it runs like a champ. aften it
> > gets running (even when it feels like its missing) I rev the engine a
> > few mins and it will run fine till its off.
> >
> > I have taken it to many mechanics, spent close to $1k fixing it, and
> > everytime i get it back, the mechanics either cant find the problem,
> > or tinker with this/that and say they fixed it. PLEASE any suggestions
> > would be great.
> > my guess would be a fuel problem, but ive been told the fuel system is
> > fine.
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's

request
> > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
> > Topic URL:

http://www.autoforumz.com/Chrysler-9...ict130227.html
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=634475

Explain this. I have never heard of that before, where did you get that info
from?

Old July 23rd 05, 02:45 PM
maxpower

"xmirage2kx" > wrote in message
news:1_634475_9ba02b3f843dce7ad306d886403e451c@aut oforumz.com...
> I have a 1998 chrysler concorde LXi. Every so often it wont start, and
> its happening more and more. so far there are only 2 conditions that
> it wont start that often. when its low on gas, and when its hot. about
> 80% of the time when its above 70 or a sunny day even it just wont
> start. I have had the plugs changed, battery, checked compression,
> etc.
>
> heres what happens: then engine will turn over, it just wont start.
> every so often it does start, and it feels like its missing quite a
> bit (3-4 cylinders). then other times it runs like a champ. aften it
> gets running (even when it feels like its missing) I rev the engine a
> few mins and it will run fine till its off.
>
> I have taken it to many mechanics, spent close to $1k fixing it, and
> everytime i get it back, the mechanics either cant find the problem,
> or tinker with this/that and say they fixed it. PLEASE any suggestions
> would be great.
> my guess would be a fuel problem, but ive been told the fuel system is
> fine.
>
> --
> Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
> Topic URL:

http://www.autoforumz.com/Chrysler-9...ict130227.html

http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=634475

Or TSB 18-09-98 needs to be performed 2.7 and 3.5 engine that meet the
criteria and build specified build dates
Some vehicles may exhibit a hot engine no start, hot engine restart with a
rough idle, or hot engine restart/die-out. Some vehicles may also exhibit
misfire DTC's. This condition occurs after a 10 to 20 minute hot soak and
may be aggravated by alcohol blended fuels. Some vehicles may not restart
until the engine cools. Fuel vapor build up in the fuel rail may be the
cause for these conditions.

Glenn Beasley

Chrysler Tech

Old July 23rd 05, 02:54 PM
Bill Putney

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

Correction of a few generalizations tha need to be tweaked for this
vehicle, otherwise good info.:

> OK, this calls for going back to the basics in troubleshooting on this
> engine.
>
> Wait till it's hot and having difficulty starting. You may have to carry
> a small tool set with you if you drive it somewhere.
>
> When you go to start it and it doesen't catch on the first few
> revolutions, stop the engine, open the hood, connect a fuel pressure
> guage to the fuel pressure diagnostic port, then have an assistant
> try cranking and watch the guage. The needle should immediately snap
> to pressure and remain at pressure as long as your cranking.
> Then stop, and pull a spark plug boot, plug it into a spare plug,
> hold the plug with heavy gloves to the block, have the assistant
> crank a few times more...

This is coil-over-plug, so the coil screws and coil would have to be
removed and plugged onto another plug, but it should work - just not as
easy and quick as non-coil-over-plug.

> ...See if you got good spark. Next,
> stop trying to crank, (by now you should have been cranking it
> about a minute with all the testing your doing) turn off car,
> pull out one of the spark plugs and check to see if it's wet with
> fuel.
>
> If you don't have good pressure it's the pump, or a restriction in
> the gas line or filter or some such.
>
> If you don't have good spark it's ignition (electrical ignition parts
> are sensitive to heat)
>
> If the spark plug you pull out is wet with fuel, and you have good
> fuel pressure and good spark, then it's the timing, crank sensor or
> some such. If the plug is dry then the injectors aren't firing.
>
> Last but not least, how many miles on this car and how has it's
> oiling been handled during it's lifetime? You could be looking at
> a timing chain that has slipped. This can be checked by a
> competent mechanic.

Unless this is a 2.7L (doubtful since it's an LXi), it has a belt.
Minor technicality - belt could have slipped).

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old July 23rd 05, 03:00 PM
Bill Putney

maxpower wrote:

> Or TSB 18-09-98 needs to be performed 2.7 and 3.5 engine that meet the
> criteria and build specified build dates
> Some vehicles may exhibit a hot engine no start, hot engine restart with a
> rough idle, or hot engine restart/die-out. Some vehicles may also exhibit
> misfire DTC's. This condition occurs after a 10 to 20 minute hot soak and
> may be aggravated by alcohol blended fuels. Some vehicles may not restart
> until the engine cools. Fuel vapor build up in the fuel rail may be the
> cause for these conditions.

Damn! Is there some reason they can't use the phrase "vapor lock" in
those TSB's!!!???

Are we seeing in the problem that the TSB is reporting a consequence of
not having a recirc fuel system?

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')