My odometer has lost its mind!

Old April 23rd 13, 10:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
ChrisKlinger

Default My odometer has lost its mind!

Filled up just after getting out of work, odometer shows 00621. Got home -
straight home - ODO shows 00636. It's a 5 mile ride...

No wonder I occasionally seem to get extraordinary MPG.

Bet I've been changing my oil too often, too.

Chris
Old April 24th 13, 05:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jorge[_2_]

In article >,
ChrisKlinger > wrote:

> Filled up just after getting out of work, odometer shows 00621. Got home -
> straight home - ODO shows 00636. It's a 5 mile ride...
>
> No wonder I occasionally seem to get extraordinary MPG.
>
> Bet I've been changing my oil too often, too.
>
> Chris

I once sold a speedo to a guy with the same problem. I sold it cheap
because the needle had broken off. He was going to replace the MPH
pointer. Imagine how that could be done?
good luck!
--
Karma ; what a concept!
Old April 27th 13, 09:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
ChrisKlinger

Jorge -
When I redid my '59/'60, I disassembled the speedo, fixed the odometer (and
reset it to 00000), and replaced the colored plastic for the
generator/oil/blinker lights. Never had a problem with it after that. Guess
putting a needle on shouldn't be too hard.

just can't picture - visualizing the odo gears - how it can turn a tens
place at the wrong time. There's only one tooth on each wheel to turn the
next one.

Chris

Old April 28th 13, 08:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

> just can't picture - visualizing the odo gears - how it can turn a
> tens place at the wrong time. There's only one tooth on each wheel
> to turn the next one.
> Chris

All I can think of right now is friction between the wheels. ??
(prob'ly a really dumb idea)

---------------------

RAMVA was always cool, you could post that you turned your odometer
back to all zeros and no one ever threw a fit about it. LOL

Did that to my new-to-me '91 Bronco with 125k miles after I got it
and swapped the automatic transmission for a ZF 5 speed manual.

FullSizedBronco.com didn't either, they're pretty cool over there.
For a website forum, it's got a bad reputation.
Most guys can't handle it. xD

To me it's got kind of a "sweet" newsgroup feel to it.

Alvin in AZ
Old April 29th 13, 07:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

There is a little white gear that drives the readout assembly. Gets loose on
shaft
which lets now disconnected readout vibrate to wherever it wants. Used a
tiny bit of superglue on mine after spraying
it with cleaner to get oil off. That was on my car anyway.

"ChrisKlinger" wrote in message ...

LOL! The political-correctness of setting the odo to zero would never have
dawned on me.

Glad I'm not in the "uptight about BS" group

Boy, it's good to be home.

Chris

Old May 1st 13, 01:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
ChrisKlinger

Thanks John -

In this case (I've been watching it), the tens place turns at 9-0, then
again at 4-5. Hundreds place I haven't caught yet, but I _know_ it has
skipped a thousand on me at least twice.

Makes for fantastic illusionary gas mileage

Chris

Old May 7th 13, 04:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jorge[_2_]

In article >,
ChrisKlinger > wrote:

> LOL! The political-correctness of setting the odo to zero would never have
> dawned on me.
>
> Glad I'm not in the "uptight about BS" group
>
> Boy, it's good to be home.
>
> Chris
>
> wrote:
>
> >> just can't picture - visualizing the odo gears - how it can turn a
> >> tens place at the wrong time. There's only one tooth on each wheel
> >> to turn the next one.
> >> Chris

> > All I can think of right now is friction between the wheels. ??
> > (prob'ly a really dumb idea)
> >
> > ---------------------
> >
> > RAMVA was always cool, you could post that you turned your odometer
> > back to all zeros and no one ever threw a fit about it. LOL
> >
> > Did that to my new-to-me '91 Bronco with 125k miles after I got it
> > and swapped the automatic transmission for a ZF 5 speed manual.
> >
> > FullSizedBronco.com didn't either, they're pretty cool over there.
> > For a website forum, it's got a bad reputation.
> > Most guys can't handle it. xD
> >
> > To me it's got kind of a "sweet" newsgroup feel to it.
> >
> > Alvin in AZ

You know I just acquired a pile of parts with two speedometers that were
under water. I just may take them apart as I have never looked inside
one.
wish me luck.
--
Karma ; what a concept!