Back from the dead

Old October 4th 12, 03:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

Default Back from the dead

On 10/3/2012 6:33 PM, Max Welton wrote:

> The engine will be a 90.5x82 2110 with MegaSquirt FI, throttle bodies from an 1999 Honda Interceptor VFR800 and hydraulic lifters. I'll be applying everything I learned from my Megasquirt type-3 project to this engine.
>
> Max

That's kind of what I've been thinking for my next VW engine, but
bigger, and MS EFI... my thinking is that the EFI could support a bigger
cam too, with better idle mixture, so I'd go HUGE with the cam, super
squishies, heaps of CR. It would be purely a play toy, so I'd use up
most all of any safety margins and go all out No idea what to use
for throttle bodies. The ricer crowd here is buzzin about "ITB",
Individual Throttle Bodies, but that's what we have been doing with
carbs for decades. I would think that is still the way to go, just a
different way to meter fuel.

Been thinkin for over 6 years with nothing to show for it. Don't even
have a VW in the US. The current engine has maybe 1000-1500 miles on
it and still needs the last finishing touches to be perfect (Dyno tune).
Love the thing, everything seemed to match and work well together. 90.5
x 80, custom cam with 310 deg advertised duration and total of 13.5mm
lift at the valve, dual 45 dells... The heads are a bit of a limiting
factor, I had to cheap out there as I knew I was leaving the car, and
the country behind me for a good while.. They flowed 180hp at 12mm lift,
not sure why the guy didn't keep going to higher lift, the graph was
still climbing steep at 12mm. Guess he didn't think I'd go any bigger
and I didn't think to tell him.
The head porter said due to the "small" cylinder diameter, he somehow
shaped the ports to turn the incoming charge to use more of the open
sides of the intake valve, and less of the side where the cylinder wall
gets close. Dunno about that.

We've built high rpm big cam 1600-1800 engines with valve pockets cut to
the side of the CYLINDER before.... No data to show if it helped or
not. Seemed a bit insane at the time and probably was. Not much meat
left in the head but these weren't built to last anyway.

Max, if I ever get around to it, I'll pick your brain for sure

jan
Old October 4th 12, 11:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Max Welton

> Max, if I ever get around to it, I'll pick your brain for sure

This should get you started.

http://www.maxwelton2k.net/squareback68/MST3/

Max
Old October 5th 12, 01:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

On 10/4/2012 6:00 PM, Max Welton wrote:
>> Max, if I ever get around to it, I'll pick your brain for sure
>>

> This should get you started.
>
> http://www.maxwelton2k.net/squareback68/MST3/
>
> Max

Awesome!!! Thanks.

jan

Old October 5th 12, 09:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
AllanW[_2_]

> wrote in message
I still travel for business fairly often and have seen a lot of this globe.
I am a Network Engineer for a major manufacturer of Healthcare Electronics.

Well that's it for now. Nice to hear from all the rest of you. I'll try to
check back here now and then....

JH

That's a cool catchup John!

I have a softspot for old Mercedes too! I would love a W116 450 SEL 6.9
(though not a US spec one with THOSE bumpers etc). It's be an awesome
talking point... especially when popping into the garage every morning for
gas :-)

Interesting about your job - What company is it? WA by any chance??? I'm a
tech in our local hospitals Biomedica./Clinical Engineering Department :-)
We have 4 hospitals we look after that are covered by a WA Acuity system -
in fact, I just got called out to it a 1AM!

I'm loving your workshop too! I built my second house, which started off in
planning stages as a 2 story barn with parking and worshop underneath. I
could have easily fitted 16 cars down there. Then I got married...... It has
a large double now, but I did have 4 cars in there for a while. I've built a
small barn, which holds my Transporter and mowers etc, but I want a large 3
bay - But I refuse to borrow money to do it, and on 1 income with 2 kids
now, it's a little way off.

Hessisch would be AWESOME! There are about 13 Kiwi's going last count, which
I think is pretty awesome! The photos they show are incredible. The palce
itself loks amazing, but seeing all those vintage VW's in one place must get
you going. It's just the right place for them too - like a movie set!

Good to hear what you're up to. Hang around!

Allan :-)

Old October 5th 12, 10:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
AllanW[_2_]

>"Max Welton" > wrote in message

The engine will be a 90.5x82 2110 with MegaSquirt FI, throttle bodies from
an 1999 Honda Interceptor VFR800 and hydraulic lifters. I'll be applying
everything I learned from my Megasquirt type-3 project to this engine.

Max
<

Man, that looks awesome! The type 3 is very cool too - I always wanted an
early one.

I was going to put a 250 HP subaru 3.0 into my Transporter, but that's been
canned, as the deal fell thorough selling the 2.5 conversion I already have.

So now... I'm wondering about putting Megasquirt onto my stock 1600TP in my
1200 Beetle :-) I had an early MS kit, when I was building a type 4 turbo
motor.

EFI is SO much better than carbs - the control is awesome and it's quite
impressive how much fuel it saves!

Allan.

Old October 5th 12, 10:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Max Welton

On Friday, October 5, 2012 3:30:32 PM UTC-6, AllanW wrote:
> EFI is SO much better than carbs - the control is awesome and it's quite
>
> impressive how much fuel it saves!

Well, I'm getting around 30-31 from the MS/squareback. The 1600DP in the baja gets 33-34 (in the summer) with an ordinary 34pic3. So carbs can do just fine.

But Megasquirt is infinitely more adjustable once you get used to programming it. With my DCNFs, I was always waiting for another set of jets (at $8 a jet) so I could try something different. With MS I can try 5 different things in one afternoon just using a laptop.

Max
Old October 7th 12, 01:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
ChrisKlinger

Whaddya mean, she won't start? Have you spoken kindly to her?

Chris
'65 ghia (lowered kiddie-car 2100 dual Weber 44 and a total
PITA)
'60 (Sept '59) fully original except for spade-terminal brake-
light switch
Kept in the Miami rain. Started just fine after cleaning points
and 50ml of gasoline in the carb. Not bad for 6 years sitting in
the rain...
maybe I should change the oil

wrote:

> Some of you might remember me, John. I had two Bugs and a kit

car. One of
> the Bugs was a '58 I bought from Mikah.
>
> Well, it is like coming back from somewhere else to be posting

here and I
> hope I am welcome to do some more.
>
> After a couple heart attacks and other health interruptions, I

finally
> retired and just a month ago I went to the storage place and

took the
> wraps off the '58 and all four tires were cracked, broken and

collapsed.
> That's how long it has been. Of course the engine will not

start. WTF?
> A neglected 54 year-old car won't start?
>
> The paint is very badly oxidized. It was covered by a very

good cover
> which tells you how log it was put away.
>
> So now it's in the driveway on blocks shaming me every time I

leave the

http://www.digoliardi.net/skirts1.jpg

Old October 8th 12, 02:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
ChrisKlinger

AllanW wrote:

> > wrote in message
> Wow, I felt a strange sensation just then, like my mouse

clicked on Google
> groups by some unseen force......? ;-)
>
> (That and Max alerted me with a samba PM....)
>
> Cool to see some old names here...... from "back in the day".
>
> Still have my '57 BTW, 13,500 miles on the clock. I'll be

taking it to
> Transporter day at Lars Anderson Museum in Brookline MA next

Sunday...

> http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/348805.jpg
>>

> Hi John!
>
> More of the old gang - I'm starting to feel like a teenager

again! I might
> have to talk the Mrs into letting me get some more VW's. We

did have 7
> cars at one stage, but only one was a VW then. I'll need

another barn too.
> This one is full of "stuff" that's no longer allowed in the

house, once
> you're married :-)
>
> Allan.

Jeez - I hadn't thought about that detail... Hopefully getting
remarried soon, and it hadn't ocurred to me that some of my
closest inanimate companions might be banned.

Go figure... we let keep kids in the house and can't keep an
extra car in the garage

Chris
Old October 8th 12, 10:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
AllanW[_2_]

"ChrisKlinger" > wrote in message
> Jeez - I hadn't thought about that detail... Hopefully getting
> remarried soon, and it hadn't ocurred to me that some of my
> closest inanimate companions might be banned.
>
> Go figure... we let keep kids in the house and can't keep an
> extra car in the garage
>
> Chris

Ahhh... if the stuff is already there, you may be able to pull it off... I
was still planning, so the plans had to change to suit the Mrs :-)

Allan.

Old October 15th 12, 04:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani[_2_]

wrote in message

>Some of you might remember me, John. I had two Bugs and a kit car. One of
>the Bugs was a '58 I bought from Mikah.

John, good to see you back.... I think of the "old timers" of Ramva often...
the new fangled web based forums are just not the same.... Hope your health
holds out, and you check back in!