Brakes

Old February 9th 11, 04:46 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
TonyB

Default Brakes

156 JTD, just had the brakes bled, much better but there's some free play in
the pedal before the brakes bite.

Is there any way of adjusting he pedal at all?

Thanks
TonyB

Old February 9th 11, 07:20 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

On 09/02/2011 15:46, TonyB wrote:
> 156 JTD, just had the brakes bled, much better but there's some free
> play in the pedal before the brakes bite.
>
> Is there any way of adjusting he pedal at all?

I don't believe so, but ICBW

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
#www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old February 12th 11, 11:46 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
TonyB

"Catman" > wrote in message
> On 09/02/2011 15:46, TonyB wrote:
>> 156 JTD, just had the brakes bled, much better but there's some free
>> play in the pedal before the brakes bite.
>>
>> Is there any way of adjusting he pedal at all?
>>

> I don't believe so, but ICBW

Thanks, I won't waste time looking for it then. Maybe they can re-bleed the
brakes instead!
TonyB

Old February 13th 11, 09:08 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

On 12/02/2011 22:46, TonyB wrote:

> "Catman" > wrote in message
>> On 09/02/2011 15:46, TonyB wrote:
>>> 156 JTD, just had the brakes bled, much better but there's some free
>>> play in the pedal before the brakes bite.
>>>
>>> Is there any way of adjusting he pedal at all?
>>>

>> I don't believe so, but ICBW
>>

> Thanks, I won't waste time looking for it then. Maybe they can re-bleed
> the brakes instead!

Well bleeding won't usually deal with what I would feel as free play.
Do you mean there's no resistance at all for the first portion of the
pedal's travel, or is it just that the brakes don't come on?

Old February 13th 11, 01:20 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Wed, 9 Feb 2011 15:46:34 -0000, "TonyB" >
wrote:

>156 JTD, just had the brakes bled, much better but there's some free play in
>the pedal before the brakes bite.

Get them re-bled. My local Indy took two goes to get this right -
claimed Alfa brakes were more difficult than other makes to bleed
properly. Braking felt seriously feeble until pedal pressed a long
way. You might get used to it but it's not right.

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather (sold)
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email must have the word 'Alfa' in the
subject line to get through auto-filtering)
Old February 13th 11, 08:09 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
TonyB

> Well bleeding won't usually deal with what I would feel as free play. Do
> you mean there's no resistance at all for the first portion of the pedal's
> travel, or is it just that the brakes don't come on?

It's a bit of both. The brakes are a lot better in action than they were
previously, but are still a bit
spongy. In addition there is a lot of free play on the pedal before there's
any bite on the brakes.

I suspect the garage apes bleed on only one or two wheels, leaving the
others. I'll end up doing it myself
no doubt when the weather is a tad warmer.

TonyB