What effect would an EMP have on modern day vehicles?

Old December 19th 10, 06:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Default What effect would an EMP have on modern day vehicles?

I think most of them and probally all of the old ones would be OK.
cuhulin

Old December 19th 10, 10:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Pete C. > wrote:
wrote:

>> I think most of them and probally all of the old ones would be OK.
>> cuhulin

>Doubtful. Anything with a PCM/ECM/TCM, electronic ignition or even an
>electronic voltage regulator in the alternator has the potential to be
>damaged. If the vehicle is off and you are able to disconnect the
>battery(ies) before the EMP they have a better chance of surviving.

Nahh, disconnecting the battery won't do anything much because the basic
configuration of the system remains the same.

The good news, though, is that the amount of digital stuff in modern
cars has required the shielding and ground configurations to be
dramatically improved compared with the cars of the eighties. When
you have proper shielding and you don't have ground loops, it makes it
that much harder for noise to get induced into the system in the first
place.

Back in the eighties it was not uncommon for a five-watt 2M transmitter
keyed up next to the car to confuse the ECU. The improvement in layout
and grounding design that has mostly eliminated these problems are also
going to reduce the EMP issues. Things have improved a lot since then.

EMP does damage because it is induced into cabling acting as antennae and
then carried into electronics. Filtering and high voltage clamping on
the electronics side, combined with keeping the stuff from getting induced
into cabling in the first place are the first line of defense.

EMP is really just the usual RFI suceptibility problem, just with a
whole lot more RFI.
--scott

Modern day cars, [email protected] Technology 5 July 8th 09 03:15 PM
[Art Gallery] Howard Chandler Christy - A Modern Day Motoring Romance.JPG (1/2) MagisterMax Auto Photos 0 January 29th 08 09:50 AM
Strange effect from a fuse nrs Jeep 3 February 14th 07 04:37 PM
Washboard effect? George K. Ford Explorer 1 November 3rd 04 01:55 PM