coating for headlights?

Old December 18th 10, 07:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default coating for headlights?

Last couple days have been snowy here, not real bad, BUT I have found
that each day on a 20-30 mile drive after dark, I have to stop about
halfway and find a gas station to use the squeegee to clean off my
headlights so I can see again. The salt and road gunk builds up on them
to the point where the low beams are useless and the high beams throw
about as far as the low beams normally do.

I was thinking maybe wax, silicone spray, or rain-x? I know there's
dressings you can get for wheels that supposedly make dirt hose right
off, but it would seem that it would be far more useful to have
something like that for plastic-lensed headlights?

I don't remember this being such an issue in years past, but this is the
first time I've really been in snow in current car ('08 Impala.) Maybe
a quirk of the aerodynamics of this car? Last personal car (Porsche
944) had hidden headlights which at least kept them from getting (too)
dirty when not in use.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old December 18th 10, 07:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 14:49:05 -0500, Nate Nagel wrote:

> Last couple days have been snowy here, not real bad, BUT I have found that
> each day on a 20-30 mile drive after dark, I have to stop about halfway
> and find a gas station to use the squeegee to clean off my headlights so I
> can see again. The salt and road gunk builds up on them to the point
> where the low beams are useless and the high beams throw about as far as
> the low beams normally do.
>
> I was thinking maybe wax, silicone spray, or rain-x? I know there's
> dressings you can get for wheels that supposedly make dirt hose right off,
> but it would seem that it would be far more useful to have something like
> that for plastic-lensed headlights?
>
> I don't remember this being such an issue in years past, but this is the
> first time I've really been in snow in current car ('08 Impala.) Maybe a
> quirk of the aerodynamics of this car? Last personal car (Porsche 944)
> had hidden headlights which at least kept them from getting (too) dirty
> when not in use.
>
> nate

Pledge. Really. But with salt you'll have to apply it once a week or so.

Old December 18th 10, 08:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 12/18/2010 02:51 PM, Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 14:49:05 -0500, Nate Nagel wrote:
>
>> Last couple days have been snowy here, not real bad, BUT I have found that
>> each day on a 20-30 mile drive after dark, I have to stop about halfway
>> and find a gas station to use the squeegee to clean off my headlights so I
>> can see again. The salt and road gunk builds up on them to the point
>> where the low beams are useless and the high beams throw about as far as
>> the low beams normally do.
>>
>> I was thinking maybe wax, silicone spray, or rain-x? I know there's
>> dressings you can get for wheels that supposedly make dirt hose right off,
>> but it would seem that it would be far more useful to have something like
>> that for plastic-lensed headlights?
>>
>> I don't remember this being such an issue in years past, but this is the
>> first time I've really been in snow in current car ('08 Impala.) Maybe a
>> quirk of the aerodynamics of this car? Last personal car (Porsche 944)
>> had hidden headlights which at least kept them from getting (too) dirty
>> when not in use.
>>
>> nate

> Pledge. Really. But with salt you'll have to apply it once a week or so.

Makes sense, I will have to try it. It is the shiznit for brushed
stainless kitchen appliances.

nate

Old December 18th 10, 10:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Maybe some spray on Pam?

Pam, at the Goodwill store, she would say, What?
cuhulin

Old December 18th 10, 10:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mac[_4_]

"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
> Last couple days have been snowy here, not real bad, BUT I have found that
> each day on a 20-30 mile drive after dark, I have to stop about halfway
> and find a gas station to use the squeegee to clean off my headlights so I
> can see again. The salt and road gunk builds up on them to the point
> where the low beams are useless and the high beams throw about as far as
> the low beams normally do.
>
> I was thinking maybe wax, silicone spray, or rain-x? I know there's
> dressings you can get for wheels that supposedly make dirt hose right off,
> but it would seem that it would be far more useful to have something like
> that for plastic-lensed headlights?
>
> I don't remember this being such an issue in years past, but this is the
> first time I've really been in snow in current car ('08 Impala.) Maybe a
> quirk of the aerodynamics of this car? Last personal car (Porsche 944)
> had hidden headlights which at least kept them from getting (too) dirty
> when not in use.
>
> nate
>
> --
> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
> http://members.cox.net/njnagel

This is a little different than what you're asking about but after
trying meguiars wax, which only worked for a couple days or
so for some reason, I've found that non-detergent motor oil
works GREAT for extended period to render aged, foggy
plastic headlight covers clear again and even with the slight
amount of dirt it attacks/holds, it certainly remains much more
transparent than no treatment at all. I was initially concerned
that it might attack the plastic, but after months of treatments,
that hasn't been the case. Just thought I'd pass it along.

Old December 18th 10, 10:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 16:24:45 -0600, cuhulin wrote:

> Maybe some spray on Pam?
>
> Pam, at the Goodwill store, she would say, What? cuhulin

Not even going there!!

Old December 18th 10, 11:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Nate Nagel wrote:
> Last couple days have been snowy here, not real bad, BUT I have found
> that each day on a 20-30 mile drive after dark, I have to stop about
> halfway and find a gas station to use the squeegee to clean off my
> headlights so I can see again. The salt and road gunk builds up on them
> to the point where the low beams are useless and the high beams throw
> about as far as the low beams normally do.
>
> I was thinking maybe wax, silicone spray, or rain-x? I know there's
> dressings you can get for wheels that supposedly make dirt hose right
> off, but it would seem that it would be far more useful to have
> something like that for plastic-lensed headlights?
>
> I don't remember this being such an issue in years past, but this is the
> first time I've really been in snow in current car ('08 Impala.) Maybe
> a quirk of the aerodynamics of this car? Last personal car (Porsche
> 944) had hidden headlights which at least kept them from getting (too)
> dirty when not in use.
>
> nate

Pledge or generic version of same.
A GOOD wax job helps but about the only way to keep them really clean is
a washer jet and wiper. I put a simple jet system on the Caravan I drove
for work. Just used a pair of nozzles from a spray wand mounted to tabs
of aluminum. Ran a T off the factory washer line.
The nozzles were selected because they had a round spray pattern.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)