Tire Question

Old December 17th 10, 07:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob[_53_]

Default Tire Question

Hello,

Realize it's not something to be recommended, but practically speaking,
how big a problem is it actually to have one of the 4 tires
(all-weather) be of a different brand, and hence a different thread
pattern ? (Same size tire)

If the 3 were of the asymmetric thread style, and the 1 other of the
normal symmetric thread pattern ?

Would car tend to pull to one side, or... ?

Thanks,
B.
Old December 17th 10, 08:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Realize it's not something to be recommended, but practically speaking,
> how big a problem is it actually to have one of the 4 tires (all-weather)
> be of a different brand, and hence a different thread pattern ? (Same
> size tire)
>
> If the 3 were of the asymmetric thread style, and the 1 other of the
> normal symmetric thread pattern ?
>
> Would car tend to pull to one side, or... ?
>
> Thanks,
> B.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...sp?techid=136&

Check around this link for Tire Rack opinions on your question. In short,
people do it,
but it may well not be safe

Old December 18th 10, 03:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Dec 17, 2:52*pm, Bob > wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Realize it's not something to be recommended, but practically speaking,
> how big a problem is it actually to have one of the 4 tires
> (all-weather) be of a different brand, and hence a different thread
> pattern ? * (Same size tire)
>
> If the 3 were of the asymmetric thread style, and the 1 other of the
> normal symmetric thread pattern ?
>
> Would car tend to pull to one side, or... ?
>
> Thanks,
> B.

It's better to replace in pairs than a single tire if it's a different
tread/brand/etc.

Two different tires on the same axle isn't too safe. You have two
tires with two different types of grip. Can be dangerous in wet/snowy
weather.
Old December 18th 10, 03:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
willy[_2_]

On Dec 17, 2:52*pm, Bob > wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Realize it's not something to be recommended, but practically speaking,
> how big a problem is it actually to have one of the 4 tires
> (all-weather) be of a different brand, and hence a different thread
> pattern ? * (Same size tire)
>
> If the 3 were of the asymmetric thread style, and the 1 other of the
> normal symmetric thread pattern ?
>
> Would car tend to pull to one side, or... ?
>
> Thanks,
> B.

Not that big of a deal.
Old December 18th 10, 03:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

m6onz5a > wrote:

>Two different tires on the same axle isn't too safe. You have two
>tires with two different types of grip. Can be dangerous in wet/snowy
>weather.

Go out into a big open parking lot and practice some skids. You will
find out immediately why this is a bad idea.
--scott

Old December 18th 10, 05:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Econo-cars

"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message
> m6onz5a > wrote:
>>
>>Two different tires on the same axle isn't too safe. You have two
>>tires with two different types of grip. Can be dangerous in wet/snowy
>>weather.

> Go out into a big open parking lot and practice some skids. You will
> find out immediately why this is a bad idea.
> --scott

I agree, it is an unsafe idea. If you kill yourself by going cheap on tires,
fine, but the sad fact is many other people die because of a few people who
are too cheap to properly tire their car. Same with brakes.

Econo-cars

Tire p Question Bob[_53_] Technology 5 July 25th 10 12:52 AM
Tire Question Scotty[_1_] Jeep 4 November 6th 07 12:09 AM
clutch question, manual tire changer question Troy Jeep 13 August 26th 05 04:59 AM
v6 accord tire question, can I put 225R15 tire to my OEM wheel of 205/R15? [email protected] Honda 0 February 3rd 05 10:37 PM
Attn Tire experts. Tire valve stem question Jim Smith Saturn 1 June 17th 04 07:03 AM